Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Picture of the Day - Everywhere Else

Western Pa...70's and 80's finally, today through Sunday, BUT, measurable snow forecast for next Tuesday....It's halfway through April & I doubt we'll be cutting grass until May. Usually we're cutting grass first week of April. What a terrible lingering winter.

We haven’t really got out of the 30s-40s up here in buffalo. Such a strange feeling opening pools when the snows flying and potential for freezing.

Western Pa...70's and 80's finally, today through Sunday, BUT, measurable snow forecast for next Tuesday....It's halfway through April & I doubt we'll be cutting grass until May. Usually we're cutting grass first week of April. What a terrible lingering winter.
Makes you long for someplace warm and sunny?

xufnCah.jpg

That is a very serene setting for a waterfall, I could spend hours sitting there listening to the water crashing and ponder some theme park questions.

That is a very serene setting for a waterfall, I could spend hours sitting there listening to the water crashing and ponder some theme park questions.

If it had been warmer I would have stayed longer as I have in the past. As it was 38 degrees and I was way off from any trail... I hustled. ;)

I have always been enchanted at how well-themed the rocks are there...

1Zc2QzP.jpg

If it had been warmer I would have stayed longer as I have in the past. As it was 38 degrees and I was way off from any trail... I hustled. ;)

I have always been enchanted at how well-themed the rocks are there...

1Zc2QzP.jpg
Boulders tossed around during the advance & retreat of the glaciers. Our mountains here are filled with them too. Absolutely beautiful & intriguing. If they could only talk & tell us of their journey.

Do you use Lightroom on your pictures? I love the magical lighting of the tree when compared to the distant sun. Great dynamics!

I do use Lightroom 99% of the time. Just downloaded Luminar but haven't had much time with it yet. This photo is actually a 3 exposure HDR shot with subtle editing, I wanted to try and keep it as natural as possible. These new Sony cameras do has some improved dynamic range even without shooting bracketed however

I love how this tree has, over time, torn the granite apart.

Gorgeous pic!

How does that even happen?

A seed dropped in the midst of rocks busts its way out?

Glacier shifts move into occupied areas?

I would not want to be the rock the fucks with that tree.

Just got back from 2 weeks in Hawaii - have a ton of catching up to do on the forums (work can wait).

Anyways, here is a picture I took from our helicopter of Kilauea volcano an hour and a half before it erupted! We feel super lucky to have been there when it started erupting (to have experienced a force of nature like that), but also super lucky to be staying an hour away from the volcano (far out of harms way). Thankfully, there have been no injuries or deaths so far (this type of eruption is easy to avoid).

First, there's all the earthquakes you feel with the biggest one being a 6.9 (biggest one I've ever felt). We felt around 10 earthquakes where we were staying (out of the 1o0's per day that occurred), the biggest being 6.9 with the epicenter being near the eruption; the closest earthquake to us had an epicenter that was 2 km away from our house, 5km deep and a 4.3 on the scale.

Second there will be cracks (fissures) that occur, the first one was noticed in someone's driveway and it ran underneath the house (most likely destroyed).

Finally the lava will start to flow up through the cracks at an increasing rate. When we left Hawaii, there was only one fissure and 3 homes destroyed; now there are 10+ fissures with 26 homes destroyed.

The actual "eruption" occurred about 2 miles to the left of this picture. The lava flows in "lava tubes" underground and once those tubes can't go any further underground, the lava goes up and that's where the eruption occurred.

volcano4.jpg