Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Six Flags Magic Mountain

I don’t think Cedar Point and Magic Mountain are in direct competition at all given that they’re nearly 2300 miles away from each other. I’m not saying they don’t care about coaster count, I’m just saying don’t expect them to ‘go big’ with a giga coaster.

I don’t think Cedar Point and Magic Mountain are in direct competition at all given that they’re nearly 2300 miles away from each other. I’m not saying they don’t care about coaster count, I’m just saying don’t expect them to ‘go big’ with a giga coaster.
I'd say their respective companies are

It seems that Six Flags and RMC have a good relationship

Allow me to say, I do think a Giga would be a way for them to bring attention to their park, regardless of any reason..however.

I do not see a Giga in their cards for the future. And to be honest, I somewhat hope they go small for Cyclone Bay next year if there is a coaster. Perhaps something like a Raptor or even a spinning coaster would be great to have.

Yes and no. Both parks are regional amusement parks serving their local market. But do you really think that SFMM is not paying attention to what CP is doing or vica versa? It's obvious they are. Right now, Cedar Point has ALL the media attention. The crown for "Coaster Capital of the World" is a title that both parks are fighting for.

I promise you that SFMM will come back BIG in 2019, though I'm not necessarily talking about a giga. It could be a new, state of the art coaster that gets the attention of the media. It will break multiple records the way Steel V has.

One last note. Magic Mountain is trying to shift away from regional amusement park to vacation destination a la the other parks in California. They still have a LONG way to go before this happens, but they are taking steps in the right direction with having a year around operating schedule. Something that Cedar Point will never have due to the brutal Midwestern winters.

They won't be going big next year.
So....small coaster I take it? If so, what a disappointment for a 20th coaster.

To say this, do they need another coaster right at this minute?

I would love if they take an approach similar to Metropolis or the Midway, and give an area of the park like Cyclone or Samurai Summit some love.

Wait off on the next coaster until 2021, and just give some time to properly take care of elements of the park.

Everyone who's been complaining about lack of flats, well you guys are getting heard
Well, I'm glad they're finally addressing that. Any word on what we could be getting? I'm hoping for a Troika or a Zamp Endeavor. Any word on how many we'll be getting?
To say this, do they need another coaster right at this minute?

I would love if they take an approach similar to Metropolis or the Midway, and give an area of the park like Cyclone or Samurai Summit some love.

Wait off on the next coaster until 2021, and just give some time to properly take care of elements of the park.
Truuueeeeee. I'm just one of those spoiled rotten coaster enthusiasts who still hold onto the lost cause of a Giga....heck, I'll gladly settle for a descent B&M hyper like Nitro or Mako. I just want a good 200+ ft airtime machine out here. Sucks cause it looks like they will go with Superman 3.0 before they even do that.

They won't be going big next year.

Everyone who's been complaining about lack of flats, well you guys are getting heard

Huh. Plans must have changed then. All the insider info I was reading was saying that 2019 SFMM was getting a major coaster.

What a let down. I thought 2019 was the year for a major ride. Guess I'll have to wait for 2021 for anything exciting to happen at the park.

My enthusiasm is wayyyyyy down now. The 2nd year in a row of flat rides. Lame. How about a Looney Tunes dark ride or something.

SFMM is trying to move beyond "regional park" status & they're trying to do that by building more flat rides? Honestly, I would be more excited for a major entrance overhaul and landscaping improvements throughout the park to make it beautiful.

Way to ruin my day Chris. Lol jk Thanks for tempering my expectations. Forgot it's Six Flags after all.

I say I don’t see them building a giga coaster because all of the chain’s latest additions have been cheap clones $10 million or less. Twisted Colossus was built before RMC started to get expensive.

Now I do see them getting a coaster next year, but I don’t expect it to be on the scale of a giga coaster. The era of Six Flags spending capital on large coasters has been over for nearly a decade.

^^Really, you think a 2nd year of flat rides is a let down? You can nearly literally count the number of flat rides at SFMM on one hand. It's actually embarrassing. Most other parks have majority flat rides. And keep in mind, flats can eat away from the coaster lines. It's beneficial to all.

My first choice would be a troika... we don't have any in CA at all right now. My dream would be for them to put some sort of flat ride inside the lower dragon station, but I figure like the people mover tracks at Disney, it's probably beyond repair from years of neglect.

Anyone remember all the flats SFMM used to have back in the day? Tilt a whirl, Enterprise, bumper boats, Crazy Barrels, Tumble Drum, Jolly Monster, Swiss Twist/Bayern Curve, Condor, Eagle's Flight (2 paths!), Spin Out/Rotor, Looping Starship, Galaxi/Ferris wheel... all gone, and many replaced with literally nothing.

I say I don’t see them building a giga coaster because all of the chain’s latest additions have been cheap clones $10 million or less. Twisted Colossus was built before RMC started to get expensive.

Now I do see them getting a coaster next year, but I don’t expect it to be on the scale of a giga coaster. The era of Six Flags spending capital on large coasters has been over for nearly a decade.

You make a valid point on that front. But unfortunately, the park is not getting any kind of coaster next year, just a flat.

^^Really, you think a 2nd year of flat rides is a let down? You can nearly literally count the number of flat rides at SFMM on one hand. It's actually embarrassing. Most other parks have majority flat rides. And keep in mind, flats can eat away from the coaster lines. It's beneficial to all.

My first choice would be a troika... we don't have any in CA at all right now. My dream would be for them to put some sort of flat ride inside the lower dragon station, but I figure like the people mover tracks at Disney, it's probably beyond repair from years of neglect.

Anyone remember all the flats SFMM used to have back in the day? Tilt a whirl, Enterprise, bumper boats, Crazy Barrels, Tumble Drum, Jolly Monster, Swiss Twist/Bayern Curve, Condor, Eagle's Flight (2 paths!), Spin Out/Rotor, Looping Starship, Galaxi/Ferris wheel... all gone, and many replaced with literally nothing.

I don't know. TBH, I just see adding more & more flats as a way for SFMM to be cheap. They don't want to make large scale investments in the park, so it's easier to go this route. Seriously, I don't travel all the way to SFMM to ride flats, I drop coin to ride the big boy coasters.

By the way, I just saw a video of troika at Cedar Point...Dude, it just looks like a fair ride. NO WAY is that going to bring people to the park. Idk why you guys want the park to be full of those carnival spinners. Like I said, I would rather have SF invest money in landscaping, front gate refurb, & beautifying the park than those cheap spinners. Or more dark rides please. I absolutely LOVED Battle for Metropolis!

Not every ride has to be a record breaking coaster. A troika or similar flat ride may not interest you specifically, but they’re big draws for the family. If I’m SFMM I’m trying to cast as wide a net as possible so as to rake in the biggest profit. Flat rides can do that in a way that coasters cannot.

I don't know. TBH, I just see adding more & more flats as a way for SFMM to be cheap. They don't want to make large scale investments in the park, so it's easier to go this route. Seriously, I don't travel all the way to SFMM to ride flats, I drop coin to ride the big boy coasters.

By the way, I just saw a video of troika at Cedar Point...Dude, it just looks like a fair ride. NO WAY is that going to bring people to the park. Idk why you guys want the park to be full of those carnival spinners. Like I said, I would rather have SF invest money in landscaping, front gate refurb, & beautifying the park than those cheap spinners. Or more dark rides please. I absolutely LOVED Battle for Metropolis!
I do sympathize with not getting a big coaster, but I think it will be better in the long run. This may entice some locals, but the goal next is to better the park; a crowd puller won’t be necessary for a year or two. I can understand.

Just wait until the 50th anniversary.

Not every ride has to be a record breaking coaster. A troika or similar flat ride may not interest you specifically, but they’re big draws for the family. If I’m SFMM I’m trying to cast as wide a net as possible so as to rake in the biggest profit. Flat rides can do that in a way that coasters cannot.

I agree not every ride has to be record breaking coaster. I'm just saying that other non-coaster investments to the parks besides flats would be preferable such as dark rides, landscaping/aesthetic improvements, upgrading old coasters a la New Revolution, etc.

As Ride Guy stated before, SFMM used to be chock full of flats and guess what, they got rid of almost all of them. Did it hurt attendance? Nope. They had 3.3 million visitors in 2016, were the top performing park in the SF chain & Top 20 park in North America behind Disney, Universal, & Seaworld parks. Not too bad if you ask me. They should just add a flat ride package 1 year & be done with it.

I do sympathize with not getting a big coaster, but I think it will be better in the long run. This may entice some locals, but the goal next is to better the park; a crowd puller won’t be necessary for a year or two. I can understand.

Just wait until the 50th anniversary.

Yea you're prob right. I was just looking forward to a new coaster next year. Like I said, I'll have to wait till 2021 for anything exciting to happen at SFMM.

Then again, I have Galaxy's Edge, Marvel Land, & Super Nintendo World to look forward to in the next few years.

Don't hold me on this, but SFMM's been looking at an air race for quite some years now, and next year might be the year they finally put it in. I wouldn't be surprised if we got another flat alongside it.

The only problem is SFMM will not build any coaster unless it's a world-record breaker....which kinda sucks. That rules out getting anything like Fury at Carowinds, Nitro, or Superman in SF New England. If only the GP knew that not all good rides are world record breakers. SFMM's biggest complaint for the park was that there was a severe lack of family rides. Yeah, they tried that but failed badly in 2008, but that's because they just went for kiddie rides. Flats can be great for family audiences.
I agree not every ride has to be record breaking coaster. I'm just saying that other non-coaster investments to the parks besides flats would be preferable such as dark rides, landscaping/aesthetic improvements, upgrading old coasters a la New Revolution, etc.

As Ride Guy stated before, SFMM used to be chock full of flats and guess what, they got rid of almost all of them. Did it hurt attendance? Nope. They had 3.3 million visitors in 2016, were the top performing park in the SF chain & Top 20 park in North America behind Disney, Universal, & Seaworld parks. Not too bad if you ask me. They should just add a flat ride package 1 year & be done with it.
I kinda agree but that park really needs flats....like badly for the sake of variety. Look at it this way, they're likely saving up for something BIG in 2021.

Don't hold me on this, but SFMM's been looking at an air race for quite some years now, and next year might be the year they finally put it in. I wouldn't be surprised if we got another flat alongside it.
I've been on an air race at Lagoon and it's pretty fun. I really hope there's at least two more. A Troika and an Endeavor would be GREAT.