Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

UOR 30th Anniversary

Galaxy Defender

Premium Member
Oct 5, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I just saw a tweet from bioreconstruct about today being Universal Studio Orlando's 28th birthday. Happy birthday! You are looking good for 28.

We are now exactly two years away from USO's 30th anniversary in 2020. This will be in between Star Wars opening and Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary. Seems like a perfect opportunity to have a big party, celebrate and get some press for what's going on currently and for the upcoming resort.

Has anyone heard any plans for this? Any thoughts or suggestions on what Universal could do to celebrate? And what is the perfect gift for a theme park that turns 30?

3789000583_9f95196ffd_z.jpg

Universal doesn't really seem to care much for anniversary celebrations. Can't see a 30 being better than a 25, which wasn't really anything.

Universal TRIED to do something in Hollywood for it's 50th, but it didn't seem to fall in the right way.

Honestly, I would not expect a blowout for UOR's 30th, especially when they are working on projects for the North and South.

Universal doesn’t seem as crazy about numbers as Disney. They seem like they have the Vince McMahon mentality of “numbers makes it sound old”. Sounds like in 2020 we’re getting a whole new Jurassic World so that will sell itself more than any 30th anniversary promotion

I would still like to some merchandise. I think all they did for the 25th was a shirt with the UO logo with text around it that read "Celebrating 25 years".I would like to see the old USF marquee make a return on some product and maybe a few other little things that pay respect to the resorts past.

Yeah when I was there during the 25th all I saw was the "Celebrating 25 Years" or whatever, on the map. 30th is a fairly large milestone though, so it'd be nice to see them, at the very least, spruce up some different areas of the resort that haven't seen much love recently and just have the place looking in tip top shape (in addition to the ride(s) they have planned).

Universal doesn’t do birthdays so I don’t see anything happening.

Disney seems to change their ad campaign yearly, so birthdays and anniversaries work great for promotional materials.

That being said, I really want Universal to mimic Disney’s Year of a Million Dreams celebration (where Cast Members handed out random stuff to random people in the parks)

Universal doesn’t do birthdays so I don’t see anything happening.

Disney seems to change their ad campaign yearly, so birthdays and anniversaries work great for promotional materials.

That being said, I really want Universal to mimic Disney’s Year of a Million Dreams celebration (where Cast Members handed out random stuff to random people in the parks)
Yes, Disney's "celebrations" are basically marketing campaigns.....and also excuses for not having a new attraction that year

Universal will probably do a blog post about it

Given that there's very little of the original park left, and a big-time celebration would only make that more apparent, I can't imagine Universal doing anything of significance for the 30th beyond some merchandise.

I would like to see the old USF marquee make a return on some product and maybe a few other little things that pay respect to the resorts past.

I'd love to see the old logo used on some 30th Anniversary merch -- pins, shirts, hats, keychains, the works. Some other ideas:

- A line of pins of the opening day (or let's say first year, to get BTTF in there) attractions.
- An "Imagineering Field Guide"-style book detailing the design and evolution of the park over the last 30 years, complete with lots of concept art and behind-the-scenes photos.
- Poster prints of classic promo art, like the piece in my signature, or this one...
opening-poster-universal-studios-florida-1990.jpg

Welcome to Universal Orlando Resort in Orlando, Florida

For 28 years, Universal Orlando Resort has been creating epic vacations for the entire family – incredible experiences that place guests in the heart of powerful stories and adventures. Guests can soar above Hogwarts with Harry Potter, swing above the streets with Spider-Man, grab a Krusty burger in Springfield, join the ranks of the Minions and so much more.