Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

First Trip

May 1, 2016
Cincinnati, OH
Well, I finally pulled the trigger and looks like I'll be foregoing Universal this fall (Orlando at least) and making the trip out to Disneyland. Any tips, tricks, what to expect anyone can share for a first timer?

Well, I finally pulled the trigger and looks like I'll be foregoing Universal this fall (Orlando at least) and making the trip out to Disneyland. Any tips, tricks, what to expect anyone can share for a first timer?
So Fast & Furious was not enough of an enticement to keep you at Universal. ;):lol:

Congrats! Disneyland is fantastic and you'll love it.

So much good food and rides! Check out the Saturday Six Derek did on Disneyland version of rides that are better and make sure to buy The Unofficial Guide to Disneyland for ride descriptions, restaurant reviews, and touring plans!

You staying on site? 3+ day ticket?

You staying on site? 3+ day ticket?
Yep, Paradise Pier and 4 day park hopper.

Congrats! Disneyland is fantastic and you'll love it.

So much good food and rides! Check out the Saturday Six Derek did on Disneyland version of rides that are better and make sure to buy The Unofficial Guide to Disneyland for ride descriptions, restaurant reviews, and touring plans!
Will do, thanks!

So Fast & Furious was not enough of an enticement to keep you at Universal. ;):lol:
Haha! As tempting as Fast & Furious made it, I think I'll be waiting for the new Potter coaster for my next visit to UOR (on a more serious note, Volcano Bay did actually make it a tougher choice, but I've been wanting to check out Disneyland for the longest time so it won out).

(Sorry for the triple post!)

Max Pass is a must if it’s a small group you’re travelling in. 4 days will be plenty to do everything.
I wasn't sure based on the time of year I was going, but I guess Disneyland stays fairly busy year round? I'll have to take a look into Max Pass.

Also, I don't have experience with the original FastPass, just Plus at WDW, so that'll be another adjustment.

I wasn't sure based on the time of year I was going, but I guess Disneyland stays fairly busy year round? I'll have to take a look into Max Pass.

Also, I don't have experience with the original FastPass, just Plus at WDW, so that'll be another adjustment.
Theme Park Insider had a good article the other day about when to visit Disneyland as a tourist. The key was to go when the bulk of AP's is blacked out, regardless of the season. The article should still be there, probably on their front page.

Theme Park Insider had a good article the other day about when to visit Disneyland as a tourist. The key was to go when the bulk of AP's is blacked out, regardless of the season. The article should still be there, probably on their front page.
Awesome, thank you! I'll take a look at that when I get the chance. Definitely not opposed to getting MaxPass, but if the dates I'm going (end of October-Beginning of November) are slow enough, I'd be ok with not buying it as well.

I found that the photo downloads is worth it in itself and the ability to create a fast pass for a ride on the other side of the park is a huge time saver. You can also get a new fast pass the second you get in line.

You won't believe how many people & rides that they pack into that park!

Make sure you stop by the Grand Californian even though you aren't staying there. It is my favorite Disney hotel anywhere and is magnificently themed in the California craftsman style.

Fantasyland is magical with its history & dark rides. You will LOVE Indiana Jones! 23 years after its opening it still holds up as one of the best dark rides in the world. POTC & Space Mountain are much better at DL & make sure to make reservations for Blue Bayou! Study the history of the park before you go so you can recognize & appreciate it more. They have changed a ton of stuff recently but some original things remain!

DCA has been totally redone since I've been. I'm really sad that I didn't get to see Radiator Springs before I left. The area around Grizzly Peak is really cool. I love Grizzly River Run & the look & feel of real Coast Redwoods!