Disney/FOX Acquisition Thread | Page 44 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney/FOX Acquisition Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Neither was Avatar, and it got a land in a Disney park.

I'm not aware Avatar has the same equal amount of standards as the Simpsons. Avatar is what Walt Disney Studios would have made, while the Simpsons with crash, adult-like, and toilet humor don't fit in with the Disney vibe. "Eat my shorts, episodes of some bad language, and dark humor", it's not something you could promote that in a family-friendly park like Disney is.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
I'm not aware Avatar has the same equal amount of standards as the Simpsons. Avatar is what Walt Disney Studios would have made, while the Simpsons with crash, adult-like, and toilet humor don't fit in with the Disney vibe. "Eat my shorts, episodes of some bad language, and dark humor", it's not something you could promote that in a family-friendly park like Disney is.
which is precisely why I prefer Universal

Reactions: JoeCamel

Taken from someone who is a lawyer and knows more about this than I do (because I was genuinely curious):

"First, this type of lawsuit is 100% expected from Disney and Fox. If you’re selling a public company, you’re going to get sued. Most corporate lawyers look at these as nuisance lawsuits - some law firm sues threatening to hold up the deal, plaintiffs get a few extra bucks, plaintiff law firm collects a fee and the deal goes through. I’m sure plaintiffs lawyers would say they’re protecting stockholders from large corporations, but I think most M&A lawyers think they’re just abusive ransom.

Anyways, there are two main ways to sue. One is to sue after the deal goes through and say the price was too low. These are tough to win, take a long time, cost a TON of money, and Disney and Fox will have investment bankers who have market checked the hell out of this price. Not a great path forward for a plaintiff. Plus, Delaware courts can actually give you a lower price per share than the deal price. Plus, after your lawyers and banker fees, it’s an even worse deal.

The other way, and the way 99% of these suits play out, is to challenge the disclosure. The SEC has all types of rules about what needs to be disclosed, and fairness opinions issued by the bankers (Goldman here) have tons of court cases covering what needs to be included. Some plaintiffs lawyer will either find a tiny technical mistake (or if they can’t find one, just argue one exists) and say the deal needs to be held up.

In reality, this will likely settle for a few bucks, everyone goes home happy or mildly annoyed, and the deal will go through."

The problem for Comcast is whenever they make a higher bid for FOX that also pushes up the price for Sky, so even if they wanted to make Disney pay more for FOX, in the long run they would hurt themselves bidding for Sky as the price continually goes up.

I wouldn't mind Comcast dropping Sky and just go after the Fox entertainment assets. FX Networks, 20th Century Fox, and Hulu are far worth to American consumers than a foreign asset that barely anyone cares or knows about. At this point, Comcast isn't gonna have enough money to acquire all of the assets Murdoch is selling to Disney, which seems to be at a complete advantage. It's already July 11th, and we're 16 days away from Fox shareholders voting on whether to accept a bid from Disney or not. Comcast CEO Brian Roberts already made himself clear he wants all of the Fox key assets, not just Sky.

I wouldn't mind Comcast dropping Sky and just go after the Fox entertainment assets. FX Networks, 20th Century Fox, and Hulu are far worth to American consumers than a foreign asset that barely anyone cares or knows about. At this point, Comcast isn't gonna have enough money to acquire all of the assets Murdoch is selling to Disney, which seems to be at a complete advantage. It's already July 11th, and we're 16 days away from Fox shareholders voting on whether to accept a bid from Disney or not. Comcast CEO Brian Roberts already made himself clear he wants all of the Fox key assets, not just Sky.

The vibe I'm getting, is that they are going to go for what they can get, the RSN's that are going to be dropped by Disney to get the merger approved..and Sky.

I would be interested to be proven wrong, but I'm starting to think that they aren't going to lose that much money, and will just go for expanding their sports and getting into the European scene more.

Reactions: jtsalien

tenor.gif

Well, now I'm interested to hear what @Disneyhead says, because maaaaan...

Reactions: jtsalien
Well done Comcast, BRAVO!!! This may have been one of the most beautiful designed strategic moves ever. They have officially applied so much debt onto Disney that they will be crippled for some time. Now invest like crazy on Parks and Resort Expansions, all the while acquiring Viacom(or Sony, hell you can get both for less than Fox) for a steal of a price. Thus powering you for a greater assault of the theme park industry and acquiring ips and resources to compete in the filmed entertainment and park sector. With all this you have a much greater ability to invest and take risks in both. Damn fine job, bloody brilliant I say.

Just to say I don’t hate Disney and will also be spending a few days at the Disneyland Resort California this October(Disneyland the original and only is by far their greatest park and those who think otherwise have just never been), I just feel we may see some amazing announcements coming from Comcast/Universal with this

Last edited:
Reading the article - Disney didn't up the bid to $90 million but the $71 billion bid is currently worth $90b.

It’s official: Disney ’s $71 billion offer for 21st Century Fox is actually worth more than $90 billion. Both sides of the Atlantic are now watching Comcast . CMCSA +1.21%

Fox bumped its bid for European pay-TV leader Sky to £14 a share on Wednesday, topping Comcast’s £12.50 offer. The new price values Sky’s equity at roughly $32 billion, but because Fox already owns 39% of Sky, the U.S. group—and by extension its would-be acquirer Disney—is actually bidding $19 billion for the remaining shares.