Halloween Horror Nights 28 General Discussion | Page 297 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 28 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Here's what I think is going to realistically happen.

Warner Bros is going to continue to aggressively expanding Horror Made in Hollywood. If it does well this year (and I suspect it will), that'll close the door on Universal obtaining any headliner properties (Exorcist, Shining, Conjuring, It, etc.). I don't think this necessarily precludes Freddy or Jason, as those characters span a pantheon of films owned by different studios; work-arounds definitely exist and have been used before. Those restrictions will inevitably extend to the Orlando event.

Meanwhile, it looks like Fox><Disney is going to happen. Disney is likely going to slam the brakes on licensing out any major FOX horror properties, in most circumstances. Why? Because there's now actual competitive reasons to do so: Horror Nights Orlando is no longer a backwater local hangout the way it was in the 2000s. It's now a literal vacation driver; look no further than the way Universal aggressively markets HHN throughout late Spring and Summer, with an emphasis on larger vacations that include Horror Nights. Those vacations are a threat to Walt Disney World - not Horror Nights itself. So Disney/Fox has a reason to withhold the properties; diminish the value of Horror Nights, diminish the value of those vacations.

So where does that leave us? Horror Nights will have to adapt to survive. They obviously have their in-house properties via Blumhouse and other production companies. They have their extensive back catalogue of horror films to pull from (Classic Monsters, The Thing, etc). And then there's the unaffiliated companies left - Paramount, Lionsgate, Netflix, Hulu, MGM, Amazon - that aren't participating in the haunt game. Universal will need to rely on those outlets more than ever to fill the roster. It's also possible they can procure "cult" releases that aren't considered vacation drivers (i.e., not Halloween 2018) - think more in the vein of Trick r Treat - from the Fox/Warner Bros industry titans.

For Orlando, this really isn't a big deal at all. It means we get years like the forthcoming one: a big ticket property to sell to the GP, a handful of smaller but exciting properties (including a piece of marketing synergy or two), and a wider lineup of original mazes.

The implications are far greater in Hollywood, which historically has far less experience in executing original mazes. Ironically, the ones they do attempt (La Llorona & El Cucuy) have been generally well-received, with the former receiving massive acclaim. If Murdy sticks around, I feel we'll see more "rock star" or celebrity-endorsed mazes to "original" concepts (Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, Clowns w/ Slash, etc.). If he doesn't, we'll see a more pronounced shift into "original" but super-marketable original ideas (emphasis on clowns or cultural legends). That'll help fill the slate when there aren't enough legitimate horror properties left to work with (and yes, they're eating through them faster than the industry can supply new possibilities).

So, final conclusion if you don't want to read the above: Orlando is safe, this probably means more originals and cult properties. Hollywood will have to adapt if it's going to survive, but it's very possible for it to do so.

Here's what I think is going to realistically happen.

Warner Bros is going to continue to aggressively expanding Horror Made in Hollywood. If it does well this year (and I suspect it will), that'll close the door on Universal obtaining any headliner properties (Exorcist, Shining, Conjuring, It, etc.). I don't think this necessarily precludes Freddy or Jason, as those characters span a pantheon of films owned by different studios; work-arounds definitely exist and have been used before. Those restrictions will inevitably extend to the Orlando event.

Meanwhile, it looks like Fox><Disney is going to happen. Disney is likely going to slam the brakes on licensing out any major FOX horror properties, in most circumstances. Why? Because there's now actual competitive reasons to do so: Horror Nights Orlando is no longer a backwater local hangout the way it was in the 2000s. It's now a literal vacation driver; look no further than the way Universal aggressively markets HHN throughout late Spring and Summer, with an emphasis on larger vacations that include Horror Nights. Those vacations are a threat to Walt Disney World - not Horror Nights itself. So Disney/Fox has a reason to withhold the properties; diminish the value of Horror Nights, diminish the value of those vacations.

So where does that leave us? Horror Nights will have to adapt to survive. They obviously have their in-house properties via Blumhouse and other production companies. They have their extensive back catalogue of horror films to pull from (Classic Monsters, The Thing, etc). And then there's the unaffiliated companies left - Paramount, Lionsgate, Netflix, Hulu, MGM, Amazon - that aren't participating in the haunt game. Universal will need to rely on those outlets more than ever to fill the roster. It's also possible they can procure "cult" releases that aren't considered vacation drivers (i.e., not Halloween 2018) - think more in the vein of Trick r Treat - from the Fox/Warner Bros industry titans.

For Orlando, this really isn't a big deal at all. It means we get years like the forthcoming one: a big ticket property to sell to the GP, a handful of smaller but exciting properties (including a piece of marketing synergy or two), and a wider lineup of original mazes.

The implications are far greater in Hollywood, which historically has far less experience in executing original mazes. Ironically, the ones they do attempt (La Llorona & El Cucuy) have been generally well-received, with the former receiving massive acclaim. If Murdy sticks around, I feel we'll see more "rock star" or celebrity-endorsed mazes to "original" concepts (Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, Clowns w/ Slash, etc.). If he doesn't, we'll see a more pronounced shift into "original" but super-marketable original ideas (emphasis on clowns or cultural legends). That'll help fill the slate when there aren't enough legitimate horror properties left to work with (and yes, they're eating through them faster than the industry can supply new possibilities).

So, final conclusion if you don't want to read the above: Orlando is safe, this probably means more originals and cult properties. Hollywood will have to adapt if it's going to survive, but it's very possible for it to do so.

This is exactly how I see it. I think Orlando also has the benefit of the event really being the "star" for a lot of people. It's an institution that so many people show up to year after year no matter what. Hollywood doesn't have that benefit. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Those vacations are a threat to Walt Disney World - not Horror Nights itself. So Disney/Fox has a reason to withhold the properties; diminish the value of Horror Nights, diminish the value of those vacations.

I do like most of your points, but I will argue this particular one.

My wife and I do yearly trip to HHN (not Disney, not Orlando, not Universal...specifically for HHN); however, we use that opportunity to spend at least one day/night at a Disney park, and several trips to Disney Springs. We definitely would not be yearly Disney visitors without HHN.

So, there is a lot of bleed over that I'm sure The Mouse is aware of. Getting people to Orlando first and foremost is probably a pretty big driver. The fight for how much of those dollars go to each park after that is another arguement.

My wife and I do yearly trip to HHN (not Disney, not Orlando, not Universal...specifically for HHN); however, we use that opportunity to spend at least one day/night at a Disney park, and several trips to Disney Springs. We definitely would not be yearly Disney visitors without HHN.

So, there is a lot of bleed over that I'm sure The Mouse is aware of. Getting people to Orlando first and foremost is probably a pretty big driver. The fight for how much of those dollars go to each park after that is another arguement.

I'm also not super convinced the HHN crowd are the crowd that would say, "Alien isn't at HHN this year? Oh well, let's go spend some time in Toy Story land."

Not saying Fallow is wrong and Disney will license stuff to HHN, just think that the idea that the HHN crowd is bypassing Disney for HHN seems dubious

When did I say that it was? It was my hopeful wishing. Relax.

Wasn’t attacking in any way. Your post said you were hopeful for a Treehouse of Horrors at HHN, but weren’t sure how the Fox/Disney deal would play into it. Implying it could have happened without it. The treehouse idea was floated early on, but never came to fruition.

I'm also not super convinced the HHN crowd are the crowd that would say, "Alien isn't at HHN this year? Oh well, let's go spend some time in Toy Story land."

Not saying Fallow is wrong and Disney will license stuff to HHN, just think that the idea that the HHN crowd is bypassing Disney for HHN seems dubious

I think the idea is Disney isn't about to make Halloween Horror Nights, a vacation driver for their competition, more compelling. You're more likely to spend a few days at Universal to check out Horror Nights if the lineup is awesome; if the lineup isn't awesome, why not just spend your week at Disney?

I do think the one exception is if a powerful creator in the industry forces their hand. I could absolutely see, say, Ryan Murphy, butting heads with the Disney brass to get AHS back on the slate. IF he was motivated (and frankly, I think he's got bigger fish to fry).

Wasn’t attacking in any way. Your post said you were hopeful for a Treehouse of Horrors at HHN, but weren’t sure how the Fox/Disney deal would play into it. Implying it could have happened without it. The treehouse idea was floated early on, but never came to fruition.

It's sad considering I feel as though Universal could do so much more with Springfield, but they aren't doing anything to make their park (at least the Hollywood one) interesting enough to visit multiple times. I honestly wonder who's in charge at Universal Hollywood because a lot of what they do either seems too dated, screen-heavy (which isn't a bad thing unless we are physically in one spot the entire time lol) or just head scratching (sorry, but The Walking Dead attraction year-long? Yeah no) but yeah sorry I didn't mean to make it seem like I thought you were attacking me haha! I do wonder what the outcome of Fox in Universal parks will look like.

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit
I mean what are the big horror properties owned by Fox that HHN will loose out on?

American Horror Story, Alien, Predator, Buffy (bye bye bootleg Gentlemen?), X-Files, 28 Days Later, Rocky Horror Picture Show, The Fly, The Omen, Jeepers Creepers, Amityville. Those are off the top of my head/even remotely adaptable/relevant.

Reactions: SeventyOne

You’re looking at it from the perspective of a diehard HHN fan, not from the perspective of someone who’s never had any interest in the event until now, when TWD/AHS/StrTh/etc. comes to the event. Though maybe the “WD era” brought them in enough new regulars?

Obviously StrTh is going to have a HUGE crowd draw this year, I have to wonder how big a draw StrTh 2 will be next year.

Another thing, is that they might have to go after more family friendly properties, unfortunately—I think the chances of FNAF coming eventually have increased at least somewhat.

Oh, another potential IP mine that’s shut is anything by Dimension (not that they ever used anything by them)—they’re not going to touch anything with Weinstein’s name on it with a ten foot pole.

Hopefully the originals this year get really good guest reviews!

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit
You’re looking at it from the perspective of a diehard HHN fan, not from the perspective of someone who’s never had any interest in the event until now, when TWD/AHS/StrTh/etc. comes to the event. Though maybe the “WD era” brought them in enough new regulars?

Obviously StrTh is going to have a HUGE crowd draw this year, I have to wonder how big a draw StrTh 2 will be next year.

Another thing, is that they might have to go after more family friendly properties, unfortunately—I think the chances of FNAF coming eventually have increased at least somewhat.

Oh, another potential IP mine that’s shut is anything by Dimension (not that they ever used anything by them)—they’re not going to touch anything with Weinstein’s name on it with a ten foot pole.

Hopefully the originals this year get really good guest reviews!

Broader properties are a guarantee, especially with FNAF in the works as a Blumhouse production.

They'll touch Dimension if they want to. There's no tangible publicity risk - the Weinstein's are flushed out.

Same goes for me. It is my first time for HHN but not for Universal and when I fly to Orlando I also get to visit WDW so I could not say your argument is completly right.

Reactions: DannyPowers
j1OSabs.gif

Universal has a deal in place with Jordan Peele for Us which comes out next spring so if it’s something they can use I’d expect to see it at HHN eventually.

As for the WB event I have to believe bts Universal Hollywood is shook at these developments, but from a fan’s perspective I’d be really excited to get to go to WB’s event if I was out west.