Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disneyland Planning on a Fourth Resort Hotel (Update: Cancelled)

This whole thing is so fascinating to me. Partly because it shows how cheap Disney's being in regards to building this hotel. Nobody is stopping them from building the hotel, but they pushed back the hotel because Anaheim won't give them any money. Boo-hoo.

I get they have a beef with the city of Anaheim, but Disney's also a very wealthy private company who can more than afford to build this project on their own.

This whole thing is so fascinating to me. Partly because it shows how cheap Disney's being in regards to building this hotel. Nobody is stopping them from building the hotel, but they pushed back the hotel because Anaheim won't give them any money. Boo-hoo.

I get they have a beef with the city of Anaheim, but Disney's also a very wealthy private company who can more than afford to build this project on their own.
Part of this is also a power play. If Anaheim is willing to give them money, it also means they will give them preferential treatment on other things.

Side note - Anaheim wrote a law that targeted "large hospitality businesses that accept a city tax subsidy". Pretty crazy that they'd target Disney that exclusively. They might as well have written Disney's name in the law.

Part of this is also a power play. If Anaheim is willing to give them money, it also means they will give them preferential treatment on other things.

Side note - Anaheim wrote a law that targeted "large hospitality businesses that accept a city tax subsidy". Pretty crazy that they'd target Disney that exclusively. They might as well have written Disney's name in the law.
The purpose of the law was to attract more Four Star/High-end Hotels to the area. Disney tried to take advantage of it and it backfired on the city.

Honestly, in the end it's probably a good thing that they are taking a step back on this project. A Fourth hotel will happen eventually, but this now gives Disney an opportunity to re-evaluate things and see if they really want to designate that much land to a hotel or if they maybe want to set some land aside for DCA as expansion space.

This is bigger news than it appears. The conspiracy theorist in me says they either have other plans completely - or potentially have another location where they plan to build more hotels and a 3rd park/water park.

Good. This hotel was in a bad location and didn't look very good. I thought it was a very strange decision by Disney to remove parts of Downtown Disney, you would think they would like to expand it. There's also a very large parking lot in the southwest corner of the resort that's just begging for a hotel.