Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Epcot (General Discussion)

Any ideas on what you would do to fix Future World ?

How big a budget do I have to work with? Assuming unlimited for the sake of conversation, and assuming I can't immediately halt the Guardians project, here is what I would do:

- Revamp Spaceship Earth's descent in a way that underlines - and completes - the spirit of the attraction.
- Gut Imagination and return the attraction to E-ticket status in a way that honors the first version of the ride, but does so with state of the art tech. A ride about imagination should make the guests' jaws drop and show them truly unbelievable things. I'd take a page from the way Mystic Manor blends real sets, AAs/animated figures, and projection mapping. It should be visually dazzling. If other characters must be involved in some way, so be it, but it would remain Figment-focused.
- Gut the Innoventions buildings and turn them into proper expo space for tech companies to show off experimental and prototype ideas. If there are no serious takers, consider turning one side into a small dark ride of some kind, subject TBD (health? weather? energy?).
- Demolish Wonders of Life and build "New Horizons," meant to be the new "thesis statement" ride of the park. Take the "If we can dream it, we can do it" ethos deep into the 21st century and depict what the most current, cutting-edge thinking about the original ride's concepts are today.
- Beautify walkways and other guest areas; more foliage, trees, and water features. Perhaps more color, so there's less of a grey feeling around that half of the park.

How big a budget do I have to work with? Assuming unlimited for the sake of conversation, and assuming I can't immediately halt the Guardians project, here is what I would do:

- Revamp Spaceship Earth's descent in a way that underlines - and completes - the spirit of the attraction.
- Gut Imagination and return the attraction to E-ticket status in a way that honors the first version of the ride, but does so with state of the art tech. A ride about imagination should make the guests' jaws drop and show them truly unbelievable things. I'd take a page from the way Mystic Manor blends real sets, AAs/animated figures, and projection mapping. It should be visually dazzling. If other characters must be involved in some way, so be it, but it would remain Figment-focused.
- Gut the Innoventions buildings and turn them into proper expo space for tech companies to show off experimental and prototype ideas. If there are no serious takers, consider turning one side into a small dark ride of some kind, subject TBD (health? weather? energy?).
- Demolish Wonders of Life and build "New Horizons," meant to be the new "thesis statement" ride of the park. Take the "If we can dream it, we can do it" ethos deep into the 21st century and depict what the most current, cutting-edge thinking about the original ride's concepts are today.
- Beautify walkways and other guest areas; more foliage, trees, and water features. Perhaps more color, so there's less of a grey feeling around that half of the park.
Wow all that sounds amazing but with the way Disney is going IPCOT is coming our way. I would love for the remaining original attractions to be updated to state of the art tech.

Wow all that sounds amazing but with the way Disney is going IPCOT is coming our way. I would love for the remaining original attractions to be updated to state of the art tech.

My version of Future World would still have a balance of character-centric and non-character-centric attractions, though. Guardians would be there, Nemo would still be there, and there could possibly be Disney/Pixar characters in Imagination, too.

My hypothetical plans for World Showcase would also not be totally devoid of characters, either.

My version of Future World would still have a balance of character-centric and non-character-centric attractions, though. Guardians would be there, Nemo would still be there, and there could possibly be Disney/Pixar characters in Imagination, too.

My hypothetical plans for World Showcase would also not be totally devoid of characters, either.
That makes sense and provides like you said a perfect balance.

Any ideas on what you would do to fix Future World ?
Everything future focused gets old sooner than Disney cares to build it so I would re-theme the whole world showcase area with a new theme and divide it into several lands. That area of the park will be teen focused hand will have exposed coaster and more exciting rides that the resort has to offer now.
1) Silly Costumes Land (the Marvel characters they can do).
2) Villain Land (why that still isn't a thing is beyond me).
3) Real Star Wars Land (no made up crap but the real stuff like the first Death Star, Tatooine, etc).
4) Pixar Mix Land (Wall-E, Incredibles, Cars)
World Showcase will become Tacky Town. They already have the kitchy recreations of countries so adding more rides loosely fitting the theme of the land will complete that area nicely.

Everything future focused gets old sooner than Disney cares to build it so I would re-theme the whole world showcase area with a new theme and divide it into several lands. That area of the park will be teen focused hand will have exposed coaster and more exciting rides that the resort has to offer now.
3) Real Star Wars Land (no made up crap but the real stuff like the first Death Star, Tatooine, etc).
World Showcase will become Tacky Town. They already have the kitchy recreations of countries so adding more rides loosely fitting the theme of the land will complete that area nicely.
Very creative and I like you said Future World concept is cool but is hard to keep updated.

Best thing for Disney to do is to convert Future World to Discovery Land. With a new name, Disney is not as restricted in what they can do.
-Spaceship Earth: few updates and have the screens compliment the scene and not takeaway from them.
-Add a spinner near Mission Space to add Kinetic energy to the area
-Imagination: Keep figment and add another dark ride based off Inside Out or something else
-Convert the Land Pavilion into an aviation pavilion. Have Boeing or Airbus (or Embraer) sponsor the pavilion. Keep Soarin'.
-Living with the Seas can stay.
-Tear down Innoventions, it's a joke.

There's more I can think of but I don't feel like writing all of them.

Best thing for Disney to do is to convert Future World to Discovery Land. With a new name, Disney is not as restricted in what they can do.
-Spaceship Earth: few updates and have the screens compliment the scene and not takeaway from them.
-Add a spinner near Mission Space to add Kinetic energy to the area
-Imagination: Keep figment and add another dark ride based off Inside Out or something else
-Convert the Land Pavilion into an aviation pavilion. Have Boeing or Airbus (or Embraer) sponsor the pavilion. Keep Soarin'.
-Living with the Seas can stay.
-Tear down Innoventions, it's a joke.

There's more I can think of but I don't feel like writing all of them.
Thats a good start and great ideas.

Very creative and I like you said Future World concept is cool but is hard to keep updated.
Ironically it was designed to be easily updated. Thats why most of the original rides had very extensive sets/animatronics about the past and/or present but the future was always a film (UoE), vague cardboard shapes and easily changed post show (Motion, Spaceship Earth). Imagination was not future based, The Land basically was a research lab (and Food Rocks wasn't futuristic and the film easily swapped). The only one that really was locked into a perm future was Horizons

Yeah, no.

Anyway, my thoughts on Future World basically are companies would rather spend the money on lobbying instead of influencing the public opinion through outreach and sponsorships, so the late 70s and early 80s will never happen again.

The fundamental problem of having IPs all over Epcot is it turns the park into yet another MK/DHS but without any of the ambition. I support the idea of changing the name to Discovery World because Future World was always a bad name for that area of the park. I think a lot of the decisions being made, including demo'ing Innoventions, is a smart move and opens up the park.
  • Living Seas needs work and help, Nemo is... fine... I guess but some of the pure entertainment aspects should be toned down.
  • Land needs a new show and Living with the Land needs an update.
  • Imagination is pretty much an open book now. One idea I have is to merge an Innoventions like experience to highlight what the imagination can create with discoveries and technology. I'm open to not having a ride, still not sure
  • GoTG coaster should have its theme stripped, just gut that part. I say focus on Energy in a more abstract way and use some of the ideas from Sum of All Thrills to talk about potential energy, momentum, stored energy, and the ways energy is made
  • I dunno with WoL at this point, but if my Innoventions/Imagination idea doesn't work then put Innoventions here
  • M:S and TT just got updates, so nothing much else there to do at this point.
  • In the middle of the park create large spaces for festival activities, events, restaurants, and more. Look at places like Lincoln Park in Chicago and Central Park for ideas with giant glass walled places and such.

Yeah, no.

Anyway, my thoughts on Future World basically are companies would rather spend the money on lobbying instead of influencing the public opinion through outreach and sponsorships, so the late 70s and early 80s will never happen again.

The fundamental problem of having IPs all over Epcot is it turns the park into yet another MK/DHS but without any of the ambition. I support the idea of changing the name to Discovery World because Future World was always a bad name for that area of the park. I think a lot of the decisions being made, including demo'ing Innoventions, is a smart move and opens up the park.
  • Living Seas needs work and help, Nemo is... fine... I guess but some of the pure entertainment aspects should be toned down.
  • Land needs a new show and Living with the Land needs an update.
  • Imagination is pretty much an open book now. One idea I have is to merge an Innoventions like experience to highlight what the imagination can create with discoveries and technology. I'm open to not having a ride, still not sure
  • GoTG coaster should have its theme stripped, just gut that part. I say focus on Energy in a more abstract way and use some of the ideas from Sum of All Thrills to talk about potential energy, momentum, stored energy, and the ways energy is made
  • I dunno with WoL at this point, but if my Innoventions/Imagination idea doesn't work then put Innoventions here
  • M:S and TT just got updates, so nothing much else there to do at this point.
  • In the middle of the park create large spaces for festival activities, events, restaurants, and more. Look at places like Lincoln Park in Chicago and Central Park for ideas with giant glass walled places and such.
Love your ideas and see them being implemented.

Ironically it was designed to be easily updated. Thats why most of the original rides had very extensive sets/animatronics about the past and/or present but the future was always a film (UoE), vague cardboard shapes and easily changed post show (Motion, Spaceship Earth). Imagination was not future based, The Land basically was a research lab (and Food Rocks wasn't futuristic and the film easily swapped). The only one that really was locked into a perm future was Horizons
Yeah your right a lot of those rides where timeless and educational regardless of what year it was. But they failed to maintain the appearances which leads us to now.

PS:Sorry for double Post

I know chances are slim to none, but I want Imagination to be Mystic Manor crossed with...
portrait_uncanny.jpg

... with a Forbidden Journey type experience.

As to opening up the middle of the Future World area, sure, as long as there is somewhere to run to when the heavens open!

The 2016 film is a pale imitation of the animated one which is superior in every conceivable measure.

I disagree. While I like the cartoon. The feature film had great special effects, and a great cast. My only real complaint is the under use of Kaa.

If they are really making a "Pirates" ride, the live action film would suit it better anyway.

Plus, the Jungle Book movie was popular, and a sequel is on it's way. So...no brainer.