Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 28: Dead Exposure: Patient Zero

Every time I walk through this house I like it less and less. The first time I did it, it was up there with my top houses. After doing every house except Blum and Slaughter today (and I did Dead Exposure twice), it's now only above Blum and Halloween, imo.

The lighting effect works on your first time through and it disorients you, but the house has little to no scares and tbh, it looks like it would be better off had they made this a 3D house considering the lack of scares and focus on disorientation.

Agreed. I've had this diminishing returns problem with both this and Poltergeist, though I currently give Halloween the edge over DE because of a very strong run my last time through.

Every time I walk through this house I like it less and less. The first time I did it, it was up there with my top houses. After doing every house except Blum and Slaughter today (and I did Dead Exposure twice), it's now only above Blum and Halloween, imo.

The lighting effect works on your first time through and it disorients you, but the house has little to no scares and tbh, it looks like it would be better off had they made this a 3D house considering the lack of scares and focus on disorientation.

Makes you wonder why the original was as loved and cherished as it was. Makes you wonder why it had so much hype.

I don’t advise this, noise is a huge part of the house and IMO without it a huge part of the experience is lost.

@IHateJumpScares , if your main worry is that it’ll be too dark and disorienting, either hit this one later in the night OR wear sunglasses in the hours leading up to hitting this one earlier in the day. This makes your eyes already adjusted to the dark and you’ll be far less disoriented.

Happy, my dude, you Literally said this is the most intense house this year..

You literally adviced ihatejumpscares to skip the house due to the intensity.....

But now u advice against ear plugs because noise is part of the intensity :lmao:

Notice that at no point did i tell them to skip it. Because with ear plugs they will be able to do it.

Just saying. The context of my ear plug advice is due to the intensity of the house and ihatejumpscares worry about the house....context my dude

Because the original was a better house, with a much more coherent storyline.

The story was better for sure,
But... that house was more bare, had more black walls. Less set pieces, less actors even. Some rooms felt empty.

So was the story what makes people have so much nostalgia?

Something I've been curious about with the original, was the "Conga Line" effect still pronounced? Are greater crowds impacting the effectiveness of the concept?

Conga line was the same, i remember it being the same, having to wait a lot for it

Happy, my dude, you Literally said this is the most intense house this year..

You literally adviced ihatejumpscares to skip the house due to the intensity.....

But now u advice against ear plugs because noise is part of the intensity :lmao:

Notice that at no point did i tell them to skip it. Because with ear plugs they will be able to do it.

Just saying. The context of my ear plug advice is due to the intensity of the house and ihatejumpscares worry about the house....context my dude
I'm the type of guy who dislikes an incomplete experience. I only like to first-time watch films in a quiet dark room , I only like to first-time listen to music with a nice sound setup, etc.

If you're too scared to do a house without earplugs, then IMO you should just skip it (unless, of course, you're worried about hearing damage, that's a legitimate concern).

I'm the type of guy who dislikes an incomplete experience. I only like to first-time watch films in a quiet dark room , I only like to first-time listen to music with a nice sound setup, etc.

If you're too scared to do a house without earplugs, then IMO you should just skip it (unless, of course, you're worried about hearing damage, that's a legitimate concern).

only-a-sith-deals-in-absolutes-quickmeme-com-30133810.png

I dont know if u have ever used ear plugs in a really loud place,but, you Can still hear everything. It is just less intense. They will still hear the sounds and music, it just wont hurt your ears as much.
The advice is still legit. Because ear plugs dont magically erase all sounds lol.

Dead Exposure was just awesome. It's been the only maze in HHN history since I've gone (every year since 2013) where the scare never gives up unto the end. There were no dull moments in this maze.

Conga line was the same, i remember it being the same, having to wait a lot for it
Huh. Well there goes my theory lol. I'm not sure then. Personally, I thought the effect was going to be much more intense than it ended up being. Different strokes, I guess.

Edit: Also, for some reason my brain keeps interpreting the blacklight zombie makeup as skeletons, which makes the house unintentionally hilarious to me. Idk.

Last edited:
Huh. Well there goes my theory lol. I'm not sure then. Personally, I thought the effect was going to be much more intense than it ended up being. Different strokes, I guess.

Edit: Also, for some reason my brain keeps interpreting the blacklight zombie makeup as skeletons, which makes the house unintentionally hilarious to me. Idk.

Well, the effect was reinforced via the sound of a camera clicking. It's not like the new one doesn't have a reason for the effect, but it's only reinforced by sight and not audio.

Well, the effect was reinforced via the sound of a camera clicking. It's not like the new one doesn't have a reason for the effect, but it's only reinforced by sight and not audio.

the first room of that first house was really cool and really detailed. I think the first room worked to sell the house. and the actor in it. I remember the first and last rooms being my favorites.

Also, yes, the camera noise with the flashes did help set the mood. i remember that.
but the conga line was the same and the old house had less props and less painted stuff on the wall and simpler rooms and simpler costumes. the house this year has like double the props and painted stuff and effects.
I dont know, the entrance for the old house was super nice with black and white pictures of zombies. Im still not sold on the entrance for this house. i dont really love the way you enter.

I guess story means everything because if the story of this house was the same as the old one maybe it would be really loved

DE 08 was something that had never been done before. It felt fresh and unique to the event. There really isn't that much difference between the 2 houses other than the storyline and upgraded effects.

The conga line was a thing in 2008, but the crowds were not the same - therefore the flashlight brigade wasn't out in full force.

DE 08 was something that had never been done before. It felt fresh and unique to the event. There really isn't that much difference between the 2 houses other than the storyline and upgraded effects.

The conga line was a thing in 2008, but the crowds were not the same - therefore the flashlight brigade wasn't out in full force.
minor tangent - thinking back to my high school days, I believe I may actually have gone through this house.. I have a terrible memory but that year my mom took us out of our swim meet early (coach was pissed, we were elated) to drive us up to HHN, and I have this memory of a house that used lighting as the main scare effect... I wonder if I could have truly experienced one of the greatest houses ever at HHN?@?!

minor tangent - thinking back to my high school days, I believe I may actually have gone through this house.. I have a terrible memory but that year my mom took us out of our swim meet early (coach was pissed, we were elated) to drive us up to HHN, and I have this memory of a house that used lighting as the main scare effect... I wonder if I could have truly experienced one of the greatest houses ever at HHN?@?!
Could have been one of the UCM houses, can't remember which one.

Can you elaborate? Why would it be worse (scarier) when the sun is out? I would have thought total darkness in the house is the worst condition. Or is it because your eyes are not adjusted and you can't see them coming?

I felt the opposite of those saying it's scarier during the day. It's more intense and scary at night for me. Everything is scarier at night. I mean think about it. What would be scarier? Staying overnight in a haunted house at night or during the day?

Anyway this house is so dark that my eyes didn't have enough time to adjust so I couldn't make out anything. At night I get to make out the creepy details and things that are happening.

I felt the opposite of those saying it's scarier during the day. It's more intense and scary at night for me. Everything is scarier at night. I mean think about it. What would be scarier? Staying overnight in a haunted house at night or during the day?

Anyway this house is so dark that my eyes didn't have enough time to adjust so I couldn't make out anything. At night I get to make out the creepy details and things that are happening.

the night is when the spirits come to haunt. the ghosts and demons.