Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

An EPIC Adventure - A Live & Interactive trip report

Dang the RP is nice. The Bula has great food and reasonable. The Korean sams are great. The nachos a mountain of gut busting chow.. Hope you enjoyed as it is my fav.

Loved it buddy, that Korean Beef is to die for. Not as good as the Korean crispy chicken I had way back in NYC

I have it booked for May 2019. That will be my third vacation stay there. Not at the level of Portofino for me, but it is very nice. Fab courtyard in the lobby and easy walking distance to the parks are it's strongest points for me. Just like the Polynesian but at 40 % of the Polynesian price.

My third stay and Ive enjoyed it everytime, granted not on the level of Portofino but a great resort non the less and I manage usually find a fair price.

Just a very relaxing place. I am not surprised Mark and Sam took a day to relax there. Only thing to be aware of is Bula has an 18% surcharge so be prepared for that.

Yeah we could have hit the parks but we were doing HHN so decided just to hang out, glad we did as it turned out a nice day.

yeah, but that's the case over at Portofino's pool bars also. 18% service charge plus 20% tip sure adds up.

Boo to those surcharges

Hard Rock has that add on as well. But they all let you know. I always tip more anyway and darn it if I seem to get treated like royalty during my stay....go figure.:party: Really like the Orchid Court sushi as well. Again, what a fantastic thread!!

Nice that you and others have enjoyed it so far, still 5 days of trip report to go.

over 10,000 views so far. That's awesome numbers for an IU Trip report.....and still a week of posts to go.

I am honestly amazed and humbled that so many people have shown an interest in my trip. Thank you all for reading along :wave:. Guess I have to finish now :grin:

Day 28 -Aventura @ Universal Orlando Resort - Express parks tour

Slept well after our late night at HHN but we had to be up reasonably early today as we were checking out of RPR and into Aventura and we hadn't packed yet.

We were all set in plenty of time and called down to bell services to take our luggage, I explained we were checking out but could we have our luggage transfered over to Aventura. Luggage sorted we were all set, today we were hitting the parks as it was the last chance to use our RPR Express, so far we had only used it once for F&F so we needed to hit up some rides today.

We made the garden walk and started our day in Islands of Adventure, it was mid morning but seemed pretty quiet in the park, we skipped Hulk but did do Spiderman, used express and walked straight on, standby was only a 10 min wait too. We had a good ride the screens were crystal clear and all effects were in good working order, was nice to see Spidey in such good shape.

We hit up Kong, again using express but wish we didnt, the line was so short anyway and we missed the scare actors. Again we had a good ride, I remember chatting with a staff member, I told him how Kong was a much better use of the ride system, he agreed and also replied "that most get on fast and come off furious" LOL.

Jurrasic was next up, we missed Raptor Encounter, I think the line was long but River Adventure was more or less a walk on, even so we still used express. The ride was held up for about 10 mins before we boarded, wasn't sure what the issue was but did wonder if they were taking a boat off as it was so quiet in the park. Eventually we got going, I was disspointed that the big gate wasn't working, I love the music and reveal when the gate opens but it was already open and staying open. The movement of one or two of the dinos was off too, little to no movement. Back at unload the ride was again stopped stopped and we were told to sit tight and we would be moving again in 7 to 8 minutes we sat standed for about ten minutes.

Next up was potter and my first ride on Forbidden Journey since the projectors were updated, whilst I did notice the difference it did little for motion sickness, I still felt a bit queasy when we came off, gone are the days when I could do multiple rides back to back. Shame as I love the ride and it is the only one that really gets me like this. We wanderd through the rest of Hogsmeade and nosied at the impressive looking new coaster before riding the Hogwarts Express over to Universal Studios. Was a nice bonus that the Potter rides now have express.

Through the brickwall and into Diagon, IOA had been quiet but Diagon was still pulling them in with the crowds stood on the cobbles, cameras poised waiting for the roar and the fire, we skipped passed them all and headed straight to Gringotts. I love this ride and again with Express we breezed through the line and were soon through the pre shows and strapping in. A good ride that still amazes me at the amout of tech the ride needs to work, even more amazing is how it all works together in sync.

Lunch time had gone and we were hungry but decided to do the rides we wanted in USH then eat at City Walk. We were done in Diagon so we did Tranformers, another great ride, I always switch between which I prefer, Transformers or Spiderman, this trip Spiderman had it but really they are neck and neck for me.

Sam had never ridden Rip Ride Rockit, the lift hill had always put her off but at HHN the other night she said she wanted to ride it this trip, she was drunk I think. As we were walking by I looked at her and asked if she was still feeling brave. She was, and she had her first ride on RRR, I think she enjoyed it but it threw her around a bit. To be fair it was a decent ride, pretty smooth and if you ride then bends its a decent coaster.

20180924_104050 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180924_105214 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180924_114637 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180924_115846 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180924_123217 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180924_134706 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

It was way after lunch time so as it was getting late and we were out to dinner later so we opted for more of a snack than lunch. I really like NBC and knew just the thing to tide is over. Whilst I knew what I wanted to eat I couldn't decide on a beer, I wanted a Sams 76 but turns out that a Samual Adams conference was in town and they had drunk them dry. No Florida Cracker either, this was a barmaid on the ball though, she knew both beers I had requested and brought me 3 samples of brews she thought I may like. I forget the beer I choose but this was great service, we also ordered the giant pretzel and some parmessan fries, both were delicous. I had an Oktoberfest type beer, again suggested by the barmaid, before we decided it was time to go check in at Aventura but not before picking up some donuts from the amazing Voodoo, first time here since it opened so we had to try it and we loved it, perfect addition to City Walk.

20180924_142053 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180924_142137 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180924_145800 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180924_150729 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

Last edited:
Cont..........

Seeing as we had a big pink box to carry we skipped the garden walk and took the boat to Saphire Falls followed by the short walk to Aventura. We checked in with no problem and was remided we had a food credit on our account. Over to bell services to claim our luggage and it wasn't there yet so we went upto the room which was clean, tidy and had everything we needed for a 4 night stay, everything except clothes that was. We had arranged to meet Ron for dinner so decided to head back down and have bell services follow up with RPR, sure enough it was still sat there. We checked out the pool area and food court and were about to head up and see the bistro when we saw our luggage being delivered. They had made an error in forgetting to transfer our luggage but they sure fixed it in double quick time. We only had time for a quick look at the roof top bar, the views were stuning we didn't have time for a drink but we knew we'd be back.

20180924_151511 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180926_084125 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180926_084254 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180927_101645 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180927_110229 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180925_190422 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

Luggage here we could now get ready for Dinner, we were meeting Ron at Smokey Bones on the 192 before going to see Nicole at Star Island where she working the bar. We got an Uber over and Ron was already waiting. We were soon seated and served, I ordered the ribs with a side of mac and cheese, whilst I did enjoy it Id had better ribs elsewhere. The service was good, an English guy who had moved over 6 years ago, I was more than a little envious of him. This was my first visit to a Smokey Bones and I did enjoy it I feel there are other places to try before I got back.

Star Island was only a five minute drive away, good job as Ron only had a small car, he got us there though and we were soon sat at the bar enjoying cocktails and catching up. The night had gone by quickly but we had had fun, and a lot to drink. We bid our good byes and promised to stay in touch with our new found friends. The Uber back was quick and easy as it was on the way and he soon had us back at the lit up Aventura where I finished my leftover ribs before going to sleep for the first time in this hotel.

20180924_195330 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180924_195334 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180924_195352 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180924_231920 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180925_230931 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180924_162753 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180924_162304 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

Last edited:
Cont..........

Seeing as we had a big pink box to carry we skipped the garden walk and took the boat to Saphire Falls followed by the short walk to Aventura. We checked in with no problem and was remided we had a food credit on our account. Over to bell services to claim our luggage and it wasn't there yet so we went upto the room which was clean, tidy and had everything we needed for a 4 night stay, everything except clothes that was. We had arranged to meet Ron for dinner so decided to head back down and have bell services follow up with RPR, sure enough it was still sat there. We checked out the pool area and food court and were about to head up and see the bistro when we saw our luggage being delivered. They had made an error in forgetting to transfer our luggage but they sure fixed it in double quick time. We only had time for a quick look at the roof top bar, the views were stuning we didn't have time for a drink but we knew we'd be back.

20180924_151511 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180926_084125 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180926_084254 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180927_101645 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180927_110229 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180925_190422 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

Luggage here we could now get ready for Dinner, we were meeting Ron at Smokey Bones on the 192 before going to see Nicole at Star Island where she working the bar. We got an Uber over and Ron was already waiting. We were soon seated and served, I ordered the ribs with a side of mac and cheese, whilst I did enjoy it Id had better ribs elsewhere. The service was good, an English guy who had moved over 6 years ago, I was more than a little envious of him. This was my first visit to a Smokey Bones and I did enjoy it I feel there are other places to try before I got back.

Star Island was only a five minute drive away, good job as Ron only had a small car, he got us there though and we were soon sat at the bar enjoying cocktails and catching up. The night had gone by quickly but we had had fun, and a lot to drink. We bid our good byes and promised to stay in touch with our new found friends. The Uber back was quick and easy as it was on the way and he soon had us back at the lit up Aventura where I finished my leftover ribs before going to sleep for the first time in this hotel.

20180924_195330 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180924_195334 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180924_195352 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180924_231920 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180925_230931 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180924_162753 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180924_162304 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr
Wow, I never got any swans......

Day 29 -Aventura @ Universal Orlando Resort - Part 1 - Volcano Bay

Was up and ready for our first trip to Volcano Bay, I'm not really into the waterparks so much but I was looking forward to this one and staying at Aventura made it super easy to make use of the mornings early entry, you literally walk out of the gate by the pool and you are at security.

We were about 15 mins from opening and about 4 deep at the turnstiles, not very busy at all. We were soon open, through the tutnstiles, strapping on out Tapu's and loading up our lockers. I usually know my way around every corner of the parks but being new here this wasnt the case but the park is easy to navigate and we were soon heading over to the first slides and plunging our way into the pool after riding oh yeah. A good start to the day and that plunge was helping to shake off the alcohol from the night before.

Next up was the water coaster, Krakatau, this is great fun and we both loved it so much so we had a second ride straight off the bat. The only thing vaguely like it is the Aqau duck on the Fantasy, note I did say vaguely, Krakatau is great fun but next up was the big one, yep I was taking the 125ft Ko’okiri Body Plunge.

Sam sat this one out and waited at the bottom, I remember thinking I wish this Tapu Tapu would track my steps and floors as I was getting a good workout thismorning and my watch and phone were stowed in the locker. Finally at the top and savouring the view back towards Aventura. it was my turn to load into the cabin and wait for the floor to drop and release me into the verticle drop. The trap seems to take an age to release but when it does you dont even have time to think about before you are at the bottom, a really adrenlanine and any lingering hangover was long gone only to be left with an ass that felt like it had been spanked a hundred times, it doesnt half smart as you hit the water and skim across it at the pace of a small speed boat. Fun slide though but certainly not one for the faint hearted.

The raft slides Honu of Honu ika Moana and ika Moana of Honu ika Moana were next up, I could mot wrap my head around the names of these slides whilst I wasa there and I still cant whilst writting this now, any how both were good fun and we had little to no wait for both. By now we had done all the slides that were open so we took another go on Krakatau as there was still no wait..

By now the rest of the park was open so we made our way over to our next slides, Taniwha Tubes we rode both Tonga and Raki and again had no wait we also rode Maku and Puihi Round Raft Rides, where once again our hikes to the top were rewarded with no wait to wind our way back down these to the bottom on the big yellow rafts, not as thrilling as the rafts on the Big Pigeon but a fun way to get down to the bottom non the less.

It was only a little after 10am but having skipped breakfast we were getting hungry but we decided to ride Punga Racers as this was the last slide comlex we had to visit, this one had a small wait but no more than 5 mins, one of the slides was closed which didnt help but we soon got on the slides non the less. We had completed all of the slides we wanted to, I think we only missed Kala and Tai Nui Serpentine Body Slides, we had done well in getting in rides on at least one slide on each complex , as well as three goes on the water coaster with little to no wait, but now it was time to eat.

We grabbed some of our things from the locker and decided on a simple lunch at Kohola Reef Restaurant & Social Club, although we were both hungry we were still feeling a little delicate after sampling nearly everycocktail on the menu the night before so opted for light and healthy, I had a Cobb salad and Sam could only just about manage a fruit bowl.

After our quick lunch we hung out in the wave pool and ventured inside the volcano to fing the mysterious Vol, a fun feature and the inside is nicely done. Next up was the star of the show, TeAwa The Fearless River. We both had such a blast on this, especially if you hit the wave generatot as just the right time, wow that thing shifts some water but its so much riding along it, I think we made 4 laps before we got out.

We had had a great morning at Volcano bay, early entry allowed us to easily achieve most of the rides in the park and if we had have spent more time we could have done everything in the park whithout so much as a walk up the stairs. We had plans in the afternoon though So headed back to the and lockers one last time before doing another lap of the park to snag those all important photos.

20180925_132622 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180925_131206 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180925_130148 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180925_130514 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180925_125559 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180925_125820 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180925_131624 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180925_125957 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180925_130027 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180925_130837 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180925_130050 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

Volcano Bay is brilliantly themed and for me they have every right to call it a theme park but which ever side of the fence you sit on with that their is no doubting it is a beatiful park From your first view of the massive volcano when you enter to the small intricate details scaterred troughout the park the attention to detail is clear to see not only that but the lush landscapping really gives a feel that is a long way away from the I4. The slides are fun, the water coaster is a blast but it was fearless river we enjoyed the most, Im not really a water park guy as I said at the top but I couldn't deny that despite our hangerovers we had had a really good time.

I can't report on Tapu Tapu as I had no need to use it, like I said though if they could implement a step counter and maybe show the time it would have been of much more use to us.

Day 29 -Aventura @ Universal Orlando Resort - Part 2 - Bar Bistro 17

Back at room we showered and got changed before making our way to the boat at Sapphire to City Walk, @Mad Dog was unexpectedly in town for a few days so we hadd arranged to meet up. We headed to Marghettaville for 2pm and sure enough @maddog was sat at the bar , cocktail in hand. A nice surprise though was that @Skubersky was with him. We sat and enjoyed a chat and a cocktail or two before Seth had to dash off. Seth, If you read this, it was a pleasure to meet you again my friend and good luck with the new issue. Before he left Seth recommended Bar Bistro 17 for sunset he also suggested the cheese plate was really good, as you have seen Im a sucker for cheese so I was sold.

Fate had thrown us back together with @Mad Dog, we had some time so decided to hit Universal Studios. With it being Hallowween we took in the Horror Show, I hadn't seen it in a while and it was the first time for Sam, @Mad Dog was just glad of the air con. The show is good and I hope it continues to run for the years to come.

We hungout in Diagon for a while and made use of the single rider and walked straight on Gringotts. We also rode Fallon. We had quite a wait in the lobby here but eben though the Ragtime Gals wern't playing it was fun watching the clips from the show and Hashtag Panda fool around with the kids. The lobby eventually turned our colour, so it was our time to ride, or so we thought we still had a good 15mins in line before they loaded us into preshow. Eventually we got to ride and immediatly noticeable was how bad the frame rate was, I mentioned it to @Mad Dog during the ride. I don't mind race through new york but this wasnt one of my better experiences on it.

20180925_161705 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180925_162501 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180925_163916 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180925_173152 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

I did want to get the Mummy in but if we were going to make Bar Bistro 17 for sunset we needed to leave now. We hit the boat back to Sapphire and made the already familiar walk to Aventura and took the express lift up to floor 17. We had more time to take in the stunning views this time and took our time taking in the 360 panoaramas before taking a prime seat for the sunset. We ordered drinks, I had my usually Sams 76 and seeing as I was going to be having the cheese plate I also ordered a glass of red. The others had cocktails and we orderered our food, we started with chinese steamed buns and along with the cheese plate we ordered the fried rice and @Mad Dog had, was it duck? I forget. Whilst the service was a little sketchy, we put this down to being new, the food was really good, everything looked appealing and tasted great.

20180925_195007 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180925_195217 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180925_200304 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

The views get even better once the sun goes down and the lights of Orlando take over, we sat for a while drinking and chatting. Sam was tired so went to bed, @Mad Dog was getting picked up at Portofino so we decided to go for a beer at the Thirsty Fish, so it was back on the boats but it took less than 30 mins before we were Sat on the patio at the Thirsty Fish with another beer in our hands, not bad from bar Bistro 17.

Johns brother turned up as planned and I saw him off at the Portofino entrance, It was late, I was tired and I was at the wrong side of Universal Orlando. The boat wasnt there when I made it round to the port so I decided to walk, I made the garden walk all the way back to Aventura in less than 30 mins. I did contemplate one last beer before bed but it had been a long day so I decided to give it a miss and went to bed.

20180925_194511 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180925_204225 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180925_204340 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180925_224848 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

Last edited:

Back at room we showered and got changed and making our way to the boat at Sapphire to City Walk, @Mad Dog was unexpectedly in town for a few days so we hadd arranged to meet up. We headed to Marghettaville for 2pm and sure enough @maddog was sat at the bar , cocktail in hand. A nice surprise though was that @Skubersky was with him. We sat and enjoyed a chat and a cocktail or two before Seth had to dash off. Seth, If you read this, it was a pleasure to meet you again my friend and good luck with the new issue. Before he left Seth recommended Bar Bistro 17 for sunset he also suggested the cheese plate was really good, as you have seen Im a sucker for cheese so I was sold.

Fate had thrown us back together with @Mad Dog, we had some time so decided to hit Universal Studios. With it being Hallowween we took in the Horror Show, I hadn't seen it in a while and it was the first time for Sam, @Mad Dog was just glad of the air con. The show is good and I hope it continues to run for the years to come.

We hungout in Diagon for a while and made use of the single rider and walked straight on Gringotts. We also rode Fallon. We had quite a wait in the lobby here but eben though the Ragtime Gals wern't playing it was fun watching the clips from the show and Hashtag Panda fool around with the kids. The lobby eventually turned our colour, so it was our time to ride, or so we thought we still had a good 15mins in line before they loaded us into preshow. Eventually we got to ride and immediatly noticeable was how bad the frame rate was, I mentioned it to @Mad Dog during the ride. I don't mind race through new york but this wasnt one of my better experiences on it.

I did want to get the Mummy in but if we were going to make Bar Bistro 17 for sunset we needed to leave now. We hit the boat back to Sapphire and made the already familiar walk to Aventura and took the express lift up to floor 17. We had more time to take in the stunning views this time and took our time taking in the 360 panoaramas before taking a prime seat for the sunset. We ordered drinks, I had my usually Sams 76 and seeing as I was going to be having the cheese plate I also ordered a glass of red. The others had cocktails and we orderered our food, we started with chinese steamed buns and along with the cheese plate we ordered the fried rice and @Mad Dog had, was it duck? I forget. Whilst the service was a little sketchy, we put this down to being new, the food was really good, everything looked appealing and tasted great.

The views get even better once the sun goes down and the lights of Orlando take over, we sat for a while drinking and chatting. Sam was tired so went to bed, @Mad Dog was getting picked up at Portofino so we decided to go for a beer at the Thirsty Fish, so it was back on the boats but it took less than 30 mins before we were Sat on the patio at the Thirsty Fish with another beer in our hands, not bad from bar Bistro 17.

Johns brother turned up as planned and I saw him off at the Portofino entrance, It was late, I was tired and I was at the wrong side of Universal Orlando. The boat wasnt there when I made it round to the port so I decided to walk, I made the garden walk all the way back to Aventura in less than 30 mins. I did contemplate one last beer before bed but it had been a long day so I decided to give it a miss and went to bed.

On the Bistro meal; That was a chicken small plate. Very good & tasty.Unfortunately, it's already disappeared from the menu. I guess they're still adjusting depending on what sells............On Fallon: Yes, there must have been something amiss with the frame rate for that showing. Usually the film is super sharp & clear. On that showing it was somewhat similar to The Simpson's attraction film quality. I've done Fallon well over a dozen times and that's the first time I experienced the issue......And, earlier in the day, before I met up with Mark, I rode Transformers and that film seemed darker and less immersive than normal. I mentioned Transformer's issue to Seth Kubersky @Skubersky (author of Unofficial Guide to Universal, Unofficial Guide to WDW, Unofficial guide to Disney, Touring Plans Staff Member, Writer for Attractions magazine) when we were at the Margarittaville plane, and his thought was that the projector bulbs may have been near the end of their lifespan.

Last edited:

Back at room we showered and got changed before making our way to the boat at Sapphire to City Walk, @Mad Dog was unexpectedly in town for a few days so we hadd arranged to meet up. We headed to Marghettaville for 2pm and sure enough @maddog was sat at the bar , cocktail in hand. A nice surprise though was that @Skubersky was with him. We sat and enjoyed a chat and a cocktail or two before Seth had to dash off. Seth, If you read this, it was a pleasure to meet you again my friend and good luck with the new issue. Before he left Seth recommended Bar Bistro 17 for sunset he also suggested the cheese plate was really good, as you have seen Im a sucker for cheese so I was sold.

What a wonderful report, I want to go back now!

What a wonderful report, I want to go back now!
Alene & I were just talking about our trip (in 35 days) over a glass of wine. Yes, we too are super psyched. That few days I spent on an impromptu trip in September just whetted my appetite.,,,,You met Mark & Samantha. Two really great people. We still miss them staying at our home. Really good times.....And, you haven't heard our 4 WDW parks, 2WDW resorts in one day part of the report yet. What a day that was. Still trying to recuperate.:):lol::peace:

Last edited:
Day 30 -Aventura @ Universal Orlando Resort - Four Parks One Day - Part 1

This was one of those unplanned days that often turn out to be some of the best, this was the kind of day to really put epic into an already epic trip. Warning this day has the potential to be the longest post of the trip.............

We started the day with a quick breakfast at the pastry I had a croissant and Sam wanted pancakes with syrup. They only sold the pancakes with two meat options but after some persistence we finally managed to get pancakes and syrup without the meats and they only charged us $5. The 3 pancakes were huge and with the meat sides too it really would have been too much. They weren't the best pancakes but with enough syrup anything can taste good.

We were now waiting outside the Aventura waiting for @Mad Dog to arrive, we were heading to Epcot to meet a friend who had got us some 1-day park hoppers. Now we had no intention of doing Disney this trip but when the opportunity arose we took it, and so from there are was formed.

Seeing as the tickets were hoppers I decided to make good and do all four Disney parks in that one day. The rules were that in order to qualify a park we had to ride two rides one of which was to be something new, I also wanted to visit friends who work the Uzima Springs pool bar at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

@Mad Dog had arrived and we got an Uber over to Epcot to start the day Tickets in hand and we were soon through the turnstiles and in our first park of the day. World Showcase wasn't open yet but Frozen was and this counted as an attraction I hadn't seen yet, on the way we grabbed a fastpass for Soarin, this would be our only fastpass of the day.

Frozen was only 15 mins, the queue was nicely themed and moved at a steady pace, those chain rails can be hard to see in the dark though. The ride was nice although I still think it's in the wrong place and a waste of a huge IP but that's boats sailed and enough been said already. The animatronics were good as were the sets but those wooden seats and back supports are a little on uncomfortable.

Frozen done and our time slot for Soarin was ready, Soarin could have counted as a new attraction as Sam had never ridden and it was the first time seeing the new movie. After a short wait we were removing our ears and buckling up. I liked the new video, I thought it worked well and was a nice change after riding the old version dozens of times., Sam loved it too. So, we had made good time and achieved our target in the first park within an hour. Next up would be Disney's Hollywood Studios.

20180926_102630 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180926_111144 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

We exited Epcot via the International gateway where we waited at the lighthouse boat stop to get the friendship boat over to Disney Hollywood Studios, the boat took forever to arrive, it was a baking hot day and we waited and waited, this service was far inferior to the ever-reliant boat taxis we had been using at Universal, and once we got the boat they travelled oh so slow. We did eventually get to Disney's Hollywood Studios area and made our way through construction and security and into our second park of the day.

As I mentioned today was a hot day and after waiting for the boat for so long we all needed a soda, we waited in line at the kiosk only for the soda fountain to go down as we made front of the line, the poor girl behind the counter looked like she was about to melt and had clearly had enough that day, we grabbed sodas elsewhere and carried on with our quest. The plan here was ride Slinky as our new ride and then try for Tower of Terror. We got to Slinky to be greeted by a manageable 50 min wait. I usually have a 20 min limit but it was new and I needed to ride something new to qualify the park. The line went pretty quick although it was hot hot hot in the outside portions of the queue, the ride was OK, a fun kid’s coaster that adds some good kinetic energy to the land. Would I ride it again? Sure, would I wait 50 mins? absolutely not.

New ride out of the way we only needed one more in this park so we made our way down Sunset Boulevard to the Hollywood Tower Hotel. We arrived to happily find only a ten-minute wait posted. we were straight inline and soon making our way through the doors to be transported into another dimension. Tower of Terror is a great ride and still one of my favourites and all the better for not having much of a wait, we were back on track after losing time using the friendship boats and standing in line for Slinky but the quick ride here had made it up and we could move on to our next park.

20180926_115935 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180926_132757 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180926_124607 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180926_140652 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

Last edited:
Day 30 -Aventura @ Universal Orlando Resort - Four Parks One Day - Part 2

It was early afternoon as we made our way out of DHS and towards the bus stops, this whole area in front of the park is currently a real eyesore what with the construction, car parks, bus terminals and gondola stations are all well under way. I'm pretty sure it will be nice once complete but, on this day, it was a hot mess. Nonetheless we made it to the temporary bus stop for Animal Kingdom. The bus arrived in good time and the ride over was pretty quick too, we were at Animal Kingdom in by mid afternoon and we were now getting confident we could pull off 4 parks in one day, although those lines for FoP could hold us back.

Animal Kingdom would be our third park of the day and I was looking forward to this one as I was yet to see Pandora so with that in mind Flight of Passage was top of the list for new ride and Everest was an easy choice as the second.

Inside the park we made it straight over to Pandora, we had concerns about how long the line would be for Flight of Passage, this was heightened when we saw that Navi River Journey was down. Would everyone from river journey now be in line for FoP, would it be 120+ like has been the regular, would we be able to complete 4P1D? We need not have worried as amazingly FoP was running only a 40 min wait and what an amazing experience, the detailed theming in the queue line is top notch, with so much to look at the line moved really quickly and ride itself is amazing, yes it's screens but this is about tye whole package, the Queue and the pre show set up the story before mounting your banshee and feeling it breath beneath then the screens transport you and you are faced with the most stunning visuals making you feel fully immersed in the new surroundings you find yourself in. The whole thing comes together to give wonderful ride and I came off having really enjoyed the attraction. I stated at the time that this was Disney's best ride, I’ve had time to ponder this and whilst better attractions are around FoP is certainly up there with them and the best new edition from Disney in a long time. The whole land was far better than the photos led me to expect with the floating mountains far exceeding my expectations, Disney did a good job here and I look forward exploring Pandora again in the future.

Whilst we were on a mission we did need to drink, oh and maybe some food too, so we stopped by somewhere else I had wanted to see for a while, Tiffin’s. We sat out on the Patio of The Nomad Lounge. It is a lovely location and we enjoyed good food and drinks here whilst we chewed the fat went over the plan for the rest of the day. My phone was running low on battery and Tiffin’s had a charging facility so I was able to leave my phone on charge whilst we had lunch. The food and drinks are very good here and I could have happily stayed all day but we had plans and a mission to complete.

Next was Everest another of my favourite rides and it was nice to find it with only a five minute wait. it was also nice see most of the effects working that had been missing on previous trips, the waterfalls and steam were all working such a shame the same can't be said to the yeti, even so Everest remains a great ride and remains firm favourite of mine for me it shows some of Imagineerings finest work I see it as a modern day classic. With Everest ticked of the list we were all done in Animal Kingdom and we were making good time, next up was the short ride over to Animal Kingdom Lodge for a drink and the hope of catching up with an old friend or two.

A short over and we were in the Lobby at Jambo House, one of my favourite Disney properties and having used it multiple times since 2009 this place really does feel like coming home. Over the years we have made friends with the couple of the bar staff. We send Christmas cards and always stop by when were in town but with this being an unplanned Disney trip I thought I would surprise them. Unfortunately, we turned up at the pool to find it closed and fully under construction, this was heartbreaking to see that beautiful pool in that way and furthermore it meant the pool bar where my friends work was closed too

. Plan B was quickly put into effect and before we knew it we were sat inside enjoying Martinis at the bar of the Victoria Falls Lounge. We got chatting to the bar staff and turns out one of my friends had gone off shift an hour before, we haf just missed her. We left a note with them to let her know we visited. The drinks and the bar staff were good here and we had one or two before I surprised @Mad Dog with some shots of Jim Beam. We finished the bottle and those of you who have been following since Pittsburgh will know what happens to emptied Jim Beam bottles. I explained the story to the bar staff who allowed us to keep the bottle and kindly gave us a bag to transport it. We had a nice time at Jambo but it was time to be getting on and after all we still had one last park to visit.

20180926_144931 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180926_150249 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180926_150251 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180926_152242 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180926_160020 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180926_172312 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180926_172717 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180926_184735 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

Day 30 -Aventura @ Universal Orlando Resort - Four Parks One Day - Part 2

It was early afternoon as we made our way out of DHS and towards the bus stops, this whole area in front of the park is currently a real eyesore what with the construction, car parks, bus terminals and gondola stations are all well under way. I'm pretty sure it will be nice once complete but, on this day, it was a hot mess. Nonetheless we made it to the temporary bus stop for Animal Kingdom. The bus arrived in good time and the ride over was pretty quick too, we were at Animal Kingdom in by mid afternoon and we were now getting confident we could pull off 4 parks in one day, although those lines for FoP could hold us back.

Animal Kingdom would be our third park of the day and I was looking forward to this one as I was yet to see Pandora so with that in mind Flight of Passage was top of the list for new ride and Everest was an easy choice as the second.

Inside the park we made it straight over to Pandora, we had concerns about how long the line would be for Flight of Passage, this was heightened when we saw that Navi River Journey was down. Would everyone from river journey now be in line for FoP, would it be 120+ like has been the regular, would we be able to complete 4P1D? We need not have worried as amazingly FoP was running only a 40 min wait and what an amazing experience, the detailed theming in the queue line is top notch, with so much to look at the line moved really quickly and ride itself is amazing, yes it's screens but this is about tye whole package, the Queue and the pre show set up the story before mounting your banshee and feeling it breath beneath then the screens transport you and you are faced with the most stunning visuals making you feel fully immersed in the new surroundings you find yourself in. The whole thing comes together to give wonderful ride and I came off having really enjoyed the attraction. I stated at the time that this was Disney's best ride, I’ve had time to ponder this and whilst better attractions are around FoP is certainly up there with them and the best new edition from Disney in a long time. The whole land was far better than the photos led me to expect with the floating mountains far exceeding my expectations, Disney did a good job here and I look forward exploring Pandora again in the future.

Whilst we were on a mission we did need to drink, oh and maybe some food too, so we stopped by somewhere else I had wanted to see for a while, Tiffin’s. We sat out on the Patio of The Nomad Lounge. It is a lovely location and we enjoyed good food and drinks here whilst we chewed the fat went over the plan for the rest of the day. My phone was running low on battery and Tiffin’s had a charging facility so I was able to leave my phone on charge whilst we had lunch. The food and drinks are very good here and I could have happily stayed all day but we had plans and a mission to complete.

Next was Everest another of my favourite rides and it was nice to find it with only a five minute wait. it was also nice see most of the effects working that had been missing on previous trips, the waterfalls and steam were all working such a shame the same can't be said to the yeti, even so Everest remains a great ride and remains firm favourite of mine for me it shows some of Imagineerings finest work I see it as a modern day classic. With Everest ticked of the list we were all done in Animal Kingdom and we were making good time, next up was the short ride over to Animal Kingdom Lodge for a drink and the hope of catching up with an old friend or two.

A short over and we were in the Lobby at Jambo House, one of my favourite Disney properties and having used it multiple times since 2009 this place really does feel like coming home. Over the years we have made friends with the couple of the bar staff. We send Christmas cards and always stop by when were in town but with this being an unplanned Disney trip I thought I would surprise them. Unfortunately, we turned up at the pool to find it closed and fully under construction, this was heartbreaking to see that beautiful pool in that way and furthermore it meant the pool bar where my friends work was closed too

. Plan B was quickly put into effect and before we knew it we were sat inside enjoying Martinis at the bar of the Victoria Falls Lounge. We got chatting to the bar staff and turns out one of my friends had gone off shift an hour before, we haf just missed her. We left a note with them to let her know we visited. The drinks and the bar staff were good here and we had one or two before I surprised @Mad Dog with some shots of Jim Beam. We finished the bottle and those of you who have been following since Pittsburgh will know what happens to emptied Jim Beam bottles. I explained the story to the bar staff who allowed us to keep the bottle and kindly gave us a bag to transport it. We had a nice time at Jambo but it was time to be getting on and after all we still had one last park to visit.

20180926_144931 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180926_150249 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180926_150251 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180926_152242 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180926_160020 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180926_172312 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180926_172717 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180926_184735 by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

So glad you got to the Nomad. It can be a magical place. My first experience was an 80F breezy, sunny day and I spent several hours just soaking it in watching the curtains waft and the water views. Of course the drinks and food are some of the best to be had in the park.

So glad you got to the Nomad. It can be a magical place. My first experience was an 80F breezy, sunny day and I spent several hours just soaking it in watching the curtains waft and the water views. Of course the drinks and food are some of the best to be had in the park.
Loved the Nomad. Good drinks, excellent bread service, and really nice ambiance. Reminded me of one of those British Officer's Clubs in a colonial province. Just like a scene out of an old movie.I was expecting to see Alec Guinness, Sean Connery or Richard Harris to pop in for a visit.

Last edited:
Loved the Nomad. Good drinks, excellent bread service, and really nice ambiance. Reminded me of one of those British Officer's Clubs in a colonial province. Just like a scene out of an old movie.I was expecting to see Alex Guinness, Sean Connery or Richard Harris to pop in for a visit.
I thought Joe was going for African Safari camp there. The Gin drink slanted house menu gave me that impression. I tried a couple and really didn't have a taste for them so asked for something with tequila and they had a hard time accommodating the request. They did though but I was 4 drinks in by then with a FP for Lion King so I didn't stick around. Maybe hit the beer selection next time.

I thought Joe was going for African Safari camp there. The Gin drink slanted house menu gave me that impression. I tried a couple and really didn't have a taste for them so asked for something with tequila and they had a hard time accommodating the request. They did though but I was 4 drinks in by then with a FP for Lion King so I didn't stick around. Maybe hit the beer selection next time.
The ceiling fans give it the Officer's Club touch. No ceiling fans on Safari. :)