SeaWorld San Diego | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

SeaWorld San Diego

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Sounds like a kid-friendly version, as the inversion is not displayed. SkyWarps are considered by RCDB as a coaster, so this should too.

Sounds like a kid-friendly version, as the inversion is not displayed. SkyWarps are considered by RCDB as a coaster, so this should too.

Is there a pic of a non-inversion version? Or are you just basing that off the tentative blueprint plans?

This is a coaster IMO, there are parts of it where it is not powered and coasts along the track.

Thunder Run at Canada's Wonderland is a fully powered coaster that never coasts, yet it's a roller coaster.

Last edited:
Sea World could really benefit from getting a coaster like this someday if they're in a better spot. It's short enough they could probably cheat the height restriction if it's further back in the park like Electric Eel and Atlantis. Plus for a compact layout like this, I would imagine it wouldn't cost a ridiculous amount of money.

Reactions: Magic-Man
Actually, it's a fairly different design from a typical Larson loop. It's not a Sky Warp, but a Sky Horizon. Different model. To me, it's a bit more reminiscent of a Bayern Kurve, with a twist (and possible inversion, though there is some discussion as to whether SW will remove the inversion part).

I don't know if it really counts as a coaster either, maybe more of a flat ride... but I am intrigued.

SFDK sure is having trouble with their Sky Warp, though. Anyone know what the issue is?

Discovery Kingdom just got there's up and running, actually. Media Day on Aug.3, but they're doing sneak peaks for the next few days.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
On heels of Electric Eel, SeaWorld planning yet another coaster - The San Diego Union-Tribune

It's a Skywarp Horizon.

I'm a little baffled why SWSD would choose yet another "launched" coaster with an inversion literally one year later, but hey at least they're determined.

However this is going to necessitate a kiddie coaster now more than ever. Could SW do the insane move of adding 3 coasters in 3 consecutive years? That would more than double their count. I mean, if they can afford a SkyWarp, they can afford a Zamperla kiddie coaster or a Vekoma junior.

BTW what's with SW repeating everything SFDK does?

Sea World San Diego- Summer 2018

I went here with my wife and two kids as part of a short trip. (We live in the LA area.) Since we all got in for free, I can hardly complain, but this park has some serious shortcomings. The first first thing you see when you get to the park is that general parking is $22 but preferential parking is $37. This has to be the most expensive non-event parking in SoCal. Thank goodness I only paid for general, since it got us within 1,000 feet of the main gate. Since we were with young children, our plan was to go to a few shows, a few exhibits and a a few rides. We didn't end up seeing any shows because it was a blazing hot day and none of the shows had covered seating, with the exception of a small venue that screened episodes of the park's Sea Rescue TV show.

Moving on to exhibits, Turtle Reef and Shark Encounter (both housed in the same building) were fantastic and markedly better than anything I've seen at any aquarium. Likewise, the Penguin Encounter, which I remember being wowed by when I was a teenager, impressed everyone. I choose to review Wild Attic as an exhibit rather than a ride since the simulator was one of the worst I've been on; violent jerking combined with an unbelievable storyline ( a submersible helicopter). The actual animal portion, especially the beluga whales, were fantastic.

As for the rides, Manga was solid, despite adhering to CA Coastal Commission's 30' height restriction, as was Shipwreck Rapids, a picturesque water ride. Journey to Atlantis had a lot of potential, but was ultimately underwhelming, especially compared to the superb version in Florida. The Sesame Street Bay of Play was okay, but lacking; only three rides, a nice play structure and a closed water area (on a very got day!) The Sky Tower and the Sky Ride both cost $5, which surprised me given that I was under the impression that Sea World was transitioning into a full-fledged theme park.

All in all, I think the park has great possibilities, and with a bit more focus on animal exhibits and guest comfort (eg. shade at the stadiums) could become swimming family destination.

This is just a glorified Larson Loop, so I'm not excited about it.

Definitely not a coaster, more of a flat ride. It's a good fit for SW SD though.

I feel like SW needs at least 1 more good coaster/thrill ride to make it a complete experience. An enclosed coaster in the dark would be cool.

Themed to be in deep sea with mystical glow in the dark type creatures along the track. Their space mountain except deep sea.

Reactions: Freak
Got the chance to ride Electric Eel yesterday. Really fun ride. While definitely not a top 10 coaster by any means, it is perfect for SWSD. The biggest issue I have (No surprise) are the vest restraints. I hated them not because they ruined they airtime (Which they thankfully didn't; airtime was very strong), but how annoying they are on the twists. The ends hit your head when the train twists, making the ride very annoying. Sea World calls them comfort collars, which is extremely ironic as they're not comfortable on the twists.

That aside, I got to ride the back both times. Although I still prefer Manta, it's a really good cookie-cutter ride (100x better than a Boomerang). I hope Sea World finds a way to build more legitimate coasters and work around the tight restriction they have to work with. I think they found their sweet spot.

A thought, wouldn't that more than likely..contradict Manta?

My thoughts, especially with Electric Eel; I could see them maybe do a Mini-Hyper sooner than later. Perhaps more like Hollywood Dream as opposed to Mako than anything..
Come to think of it, I think an Intamin Blitz (Maverick) would make far more sense. It would be a more intense Manta with bigger drops, more intense airtime, and inversions.

Imagine the park with a mini-hyper and a blitz. That would be a really solid line-up for a park that would get me down to SD twice a year. lol

Reactions: Mad Dog
I'd personally love an intamin blitz, but also feel it may be more intense than that audience that goes to visit SW. I mean, generally (as far as I can tell), Electric Eel doesn't really get all that long of a line, mainly because I think it's more intense than most of the GP cares for. It's a pretty heavy family dynamic.

Reactions: DuelingDragonskid
JTA, is about to get a lot of attention.

..from Lance and his team's at Screamscape,

db_2018_1202_JTA_TrackRemoved11.jpg

db_2018_1202_JTA_TrackRemoved21.jpg

db_2018_1202_JTA_TrackRemoved31.jpg

db_2018_1202_JTA_TrackRemoved41.jpg