Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Tomorrowland Speedway

Either rebuild it as something wonderful with new electric cars and a better guide system or get rid of it and build something wonderful.
Just as relevant as a vintage gas station in DHS.
I agree, but i'm not in charge. @Marni1971 has said there's at least plans for electric cars, but the ride as a whole simply needs to go. It eats up prime land where they could put multiple attraction or one really nice E-ticket. Over time it will happen, but with Tron being built now, another big build in TL probably won't happen for quite a bit. Adventureland could really use a modern E-ticket.

Funny thing is, when Autopia was designed, the idea behind it is that it WAS futuristic at the time because in 1955, highways weren't a thing. TDL got rid of their Speedway and Disneyland is eventually going to need the land. It's just a matter of when the park needs the land for something actually good.

MK is too popular for it's own good.
Replace the cars with the twin spinning coasters from AK and build something nice there to even out the public and add something to that park, it needs it more than MK.

This really would have been the best time to just get rid of the Tomorrowland Speedway completely. They could have totally reshaped that entire area with Tron being added and the Speedway getting bulldozed...
Eh, I’d rather an update. It’s not like they’re hurting for space in Tomorrowland right now, and the park needs as much capacity as it can get.

Eh, I’d rather an update. It’s not like they’re hurting for space in Tomorrowland right now, and the park needs as much capacity as it can get.

You'd rather them update a go-kart track in the Magic Kingdom instead of tearing it out and putting in something much more worthy? Yea, no.

I'm probably going to get some heat for saying this but I've always felt like Tomorrowland Speedway cheapened Magic Kingdom. The smell of gas, the go-cart motors rumbling, the cheap loading platform. It's just so out of place and I wouldn't shed a tear if it were replaced. It amazes me how popular it is though considering all of the world class rides there are in that park.

^^ This part, why build back an inferior version of something that is so long past it's sell by date. The go kart track has no nostalgic value that couldn't be found a dozen other places in the country. It is not unique.
But it does provide capacity and it’s not like they would use the plot for anything if they closed the attraction for good right now. Land is not an issue, they still have one more expansion plot.

I get not everyone likes it, it’s certainly not futuristic and it takes up a lot of space, but you have to look at the whole picture.

But it does provide capacity and it’s not like they would use the plot for anything if they closed the attraction for good right now. Land is not an issue, they still have one more expansion plot.

I get not everyone likes it, it’s certainly not futuristic and it takes up a lot of space, but you have to look at the whole picture.
But with proper planning and budget it could have been done concurrent with the TRON construction. It would have breathed new life into TL but instead you get NFL again.

But with proper planning and budget it could have been done concurrent with the TRON construction. It would have breathed new life into TL but instead you get NFL again.
There is still a plan to retheme the speedway to Tron, just not during this refurbishment. This is simply track realignment so that they can work on construction for Tron.

I'm probably going to get some heat for saying this but I've always felt like Tomorrowland Speedway cheapened Magic Kingdom. The smell of gas, the go-cart motors rumbling, the cheap loading platform. It's just so out of place and I wouldn't shed a tear if it were replaced. It amazes me how popular it is though considering all of the world class rides there are in that park.

Thank god!

The smell has bugged me for years. It wouldn’t look out of place at Old Town, it’s not fit for a world class theme park.

I get the appeal, for generations of families, it’s been a kids first driving experience but it’s horrible. Electric vehicles and a car that can actually steer would be a huge improvement.

If it goes, I wouldn’t miss it either.

I know, shorter again and no new cars. They could have done both
We have Tokyo's cars which I believe we will be switching to. They are electric, however the track needs to be improved so that the electric cars will charge along the track before they can be used. I know, hand-me-downs, not new, but still better than what's going on with Stitch.

Btw, speaking of Stitch, supposedly one of the theaters still has their Stitch AA in tact and working - supposedly the theater is being maintained. Remember, there were two theaters and we only saw one stitch head destroyed. Not saying it's reopening, but with the WDW Railroad down for two years or so and the Speedway down, Stitch may need to operate during Spring Break simply to add capacity to the park.

If they keep progressively shortening it, in the next ten years it will just be a flat ride spinner. :popcorn:

750C584B-9882-4B58-B54A-0D1526C205E6.jpeg

We have Tokyo's cars which I believe we will be switching to. They are electric, however the track needs to be improved so that the electric cars will charge along the track before they can be used. I know, hand-me-downs, not new, but still better than what's going on with Stitch.

Btw, speaking of Stitch, supposedly one of the theaters still has their Stitch AA in tact and working - supposedly the theater is being maintained. Remember, there were two theaters and we only saw one stitch head destroyed. Not saying it's reopening, but with the WDW Railroad down for two years or so and the Speedway down, Stitch may need to operate during Spring Break simply to add capacity to the park.

Unless somebody has stole Sitch.

While some of Tokyo's cars showed some time back it is not going to be a electric replacement. Should be but not happening.

Stitch has one theatre available but what about the pre shows?

The first preshow is fine. The second preshow all of the AAs have been destroyed from my understanding, but I bet they would just cover that up and maybe only use the first preshow and then proceed directly to the attraction if it were to open again.

As for the cars, i've heard different. I've heard that the plan is for a complete electric replacement.
Going to be an interesting season.