Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Sued Over Death After Riding Reign of Kong

It's probably because tolerance levels for coasters and rides are all over the map...One person can ride Hulk seven times in a row and another can't ride it once without getting sick...Also, everything at Disney and Universal is either a rollercoaster or a simulator according to the internet

I get that but how is it obvious to someone who understands English but has never seen the sign vs someone who has seen the sign but didn't understand English?

The argument is that the sign was the cause of death. They're pushing for Spanish and French translations. But what if someone only speaks Portuguese (the third language on their website, instead of French)? What about German and Mandarin? Translations are available in many languages for those who ask, it's just the signs are in English.

We live in a world where everything needs a warning label just to avoid frivolous lawsuits, and that's what these signs are. I still can't figure out the legitimate function of an extension cord because the tag seems to say don't use this for anything.

(note: I'm not trying to have a mean tone, but I understand my style of speech does not always translate to text well)

For anyone who's looking for a link of the timeline:

Guatemalan tourist, 38, who died after King Kong ride couldn't read warning signs at Universal, attorney says - Orlando Sentinel

I will say, on the matter of warnings, that it is as much the responsibility of a rider with a known issue to verify if a ride is safe for them or not. I can say, as a full bodied person, that I never look at warnings. My mother, on the other hand, has to watch out for anything with warnings regarding neck injuries. If you have a limitation, it never hurts to verify what is safe for you and what should be skipped.

I get that but how is it obvious to someone who understands English but has never seen the sign vs someone who has seen the sign but didn't understand English?

The argument is that the sign was the cause of death. They're pushing for Spanish and French translations. But what if someone only speaks Portuguese (the third language on their website, instead of French)? What about German and Mandarin? Translations are available in many languages for those who ask, it's just the signs are in English.

We live in a world where everything needs a warning label just to avoid frivolous lawsuits, and that's what these signs are. I still can't figure out the legitimate function of an extension cord because the tag seems to say don't use this for anything.

(note: I'm not trying to have a mean tone, but I understand my style of speech does not always translate to text well)
Electronic signs that change language maybe?

If they did 20 languages, they's still be sued by some easy money person that spoke a language not on the list of 20. This is just pure money hungry grab stuff. Universal should stand firm and not give an inch. People need to take responsibility of their own actions. It would be a different scenario if there was negligent mechanical issues or something of that nature.There could have been dozens of issues that caused his heart attack, starting with walking through the Florida humid heat, and so forth....These suits always remind me of the Walter Matthau/Jack Lemon movie, "The Fortune Cookie". Shifty ambulance chasing lawyer tries to make a buck at everyone's expense.

Last edited:

Where do you draw the line with what languages to use? I make signs and there is a point where adding more makes the whole thing obsolete as nobody will read it.

If you don't understand the language, put the extra languages on the app.

That's kind of the issue...I believe the pictures next to the warnings need to demonstrate clearly the risk...I believe they do a pretty good job

I am wondering, is Kong the only ride he went on? What made him choose that ride over any other ride? They all say those with heart conditions shouldn't ride. I really don't want to harp on the guy because it is sad. But heart attacks happen from time to time and this isn't something that came out of nowhere.

We live in a world where everything needs a warning label just to avoid frivolous lawsuits, and that's what these signs are.
That "world" is only the USA.
The rest of the world thinks someone putting a dog in a microwave to dry it is an idiot, the same for hot coffee from Mc Donalds and the whole "act of God" thing. I laughed my butt off when we bought a home in Orlando and read all the disclaimers.

Point is, did Universal does its best to make clear what the ride was in a reasonable way. The official language of the US is (a sort of) English. As a visitor I know that so it's up to me to get information. The same if someone from the US comes to The Netherlands (although 99% talks and understands English).
There is no braille in front of the ride on the sign, but a blind person knows he/she should get info in another way and Universal also provides that. Then there are maps in a load of common languages, there is online information, customer service and team members who all are ready, willing and educated by Universal to assist a guest and get them the information they need.
So on the question "did Universal do enough" I would say yes.
It's terrible what happened, no one wants that, and I think it's unfortunate and unrelated. I think they went for a low amount to get it settled out of court and I thing an American bread lawyer put the family up to this to earn easy money over this tragedy.

Last edited:
I am wondering, is Kong the only ride he went on? What made him choose that ride over any other ride? They all say those with heart conditions shouldn't ride. I really don't want to harp on the guy because it is sad. But heart attacks happen from time to time and this isn't something that came out of nowhere.
It said somewhere that they did other things...I mean, simply walking around could have caused it....Very sad

I thought the entire point of the pictures was to give everyone an idea of the warnings on rides. What happens if an illiterate person has a heart attack? No matter what you write they will not know the dangers. I would think the pictures do a pretty good job all in all (even the no noxious farts one). What about someone blind? I feel really bad that someone died, but I agree this feels like a money grab where the best possible solution is likely already in place.

On an aside, I know its not important but since it keeps coming up, a clarification on the McDonald's coffee issue. She wasn't suing because she spilled hot coffee on her. The hot coffee was insanely hot (190 F) and caused third-degree burns to over 15% of her body, causing her to be hospitalized for 8 days and required skin grafts. She only asked for money to cover medical expenses, McDonalds countered with a joke amount and then the big law suit started more to make sure no one else got burned.

Weird they only ask for 15k. Doesn’t seem like a lot for a death.

Further proof this is a "pay us and we will go away". It would cost MUCH more to bring this to court and defend with lawyers. Putting up all new signs in Spanish would probably cost more than 15k.

I work in insurance, and the cost per life is usually valued around 1M per person if you have a legitimate claim. Even more if the "person" is a child, or someone wealthy.

15k is what we see on slip and fall claims...that's a total joke.

Last edited:
On an aside, I know its not important but since it keeps coming up, a clarification on the McDonald's coffee issue. She wasn't suing because she spilled hot coffee on her. The hot coffee was insanely hot (190 F) and caused third-degree burns to over 15% of her body, causing her to be hospitalized for 8 days and required skin grafts. She only asked for money to cover medical expenses, McDonalds countered with a joke amount and then the big law suit started more to make sure no one else got burned.

Just to clarify ALL hot coffee can cause 3rd degree burns if handled improperly. Even 140F can cause 3rd degree burns in 1 second, while it was a 5 second exposure in this case. Hot coffee is generally served hotter in the 160-180F range based on consumer preferences. There's milliseconds difference between 160F and 190F, the greatest change is between 120F and 140F where below that takes several minutes and above it is almost instant. The case was asking for money, McDonald's was not forced to change temperatures. The industry voluntarily started adding "caution: hot" labeling to products people already knew were hot to avoid lawsuits. As almost all hot food and hot beverages have the potential to cause 3rd degree burns with prolonged skin exposure. Again in this context prolonged means 1 second, often injury can be avoided with immediate reaction. This case was an anomaly because she simply did not react until well after the time it would take for any hot coffee to cause 3rd degree burns.

Just to clarify ALL hot coffee can cause 3rd degree burns if handled improperly. Even 140F can cause 3rd degree burns in 1 second, while it was a 5 second exposure in this case. Hot coffee is generally served hotter in the 160-180F range based on consumer preferences. There's milliseconds difference between 160F and 190F, the greatest change is between 120F and 140F where below that takes several minutes and above it is almost instant. The case was asking for money, McDonald's was not forced to change temperatures. The industry voluntarily started adding "caution: hot" labeling to products people already knew were hot to avoid lawsuits. As almost all hot food and hot beverages have the potential to cause 3rd degree burns with prolonged skin exposure. Again in this context prolonged means 1 second, often injury can be avoided with immediate reaction. This case was an anomaly because she simply did not react until well after the time it would take for any hot coffee to cause 3rd degree burns.
The problem is the cups like at Starbucks, give you the illusion that the contents inside aren't as hot as they actually are...I always sip way too early and burn my mouth

I didn’t mean it like that sorry I am very very sorry for the mans loss and how devastated his son & wife are I cannot imagine. I wasn’t hoping for that to happen to him if that’s what you thought! Totally not true. All I was saying this could affect the attraction down the line going forward in terms of how much time it has at IOA IMO.

I didn’t mean it like that sorry I am very very sorry for the mans loss and how devastated his son & wife are I cannot imagine. I wasn’t hoping for that to happen to him if that’s what you thought! Totally not true. All I was saying this could affect the attraction down the line going forward in terms of how much time it has at IOA IMO.

This is, unfortunately, not the first time an attraction has been under fire for a guest's death, and unfortunately not be the last. People have died after riding the Hulk and the Mummy (to be fair, that man did fall off the platform), but over at Disney, people have died after riding Toy Story Mania and Star Tours. Considering the number of guests that come through the gates, it's not a shocking number of people. I don't think this'll impact Kong in the least.

Now, something more similar to the original Mission: Space would be a good example of a ride that had to be retuned or replaced - without the Green side, it was too extreme for some people (especially those not knowing what they're getting into).