Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Attraction With a Female Lead - When Will It Happen?

I’ll be crystal clear here.
Follow the money.

If they could make money off it, they would. It has nothing to do with male or female. They’re corporations, and corporations like money.
Just follow the money. It really is that simple.
I agree, it's about the money. Hopefully you read this in my first post:
"I can understand if Universal chooses to shy away from an IP like Hello Kitty for fear that it may alienate a portion of their audience. They have to do what's going to make them the most money, after all."

But I disagre regarding it being nothing to do with male vs female. Universal, as any corporation would, cares about what their guests care about. For example, if Universal thinks it might be profitable to target the "families with young girls" crowd, they will. I'd bet a dollar they've basically given up on it, thinking that Disney already monopolized this market (I can't tell you how many young girls dressed as Disney princesses I see even on a visit to Disney Springs!).

This topic is definitely discussed behind closed doors.

Last edited:
Ok. What’s the point of this then again? You clearly already answered it yourself.

What their guests care about are what they spend their money on. End of conversation.

Ok. What’s the point of this then again? You clearly already answered it yourself.

What their guests care about are what they spend their money on. End of conversation.
From my first post:
"TLDR: My question is - when will the current trend at Universal be broken? What IP could break this trend? "

No IP currently. Hello Kitty would be ok in Kidzone and I believe @Disneyhead mentioned it being rumored at one point. That’s about it.

The other IPs aren’t really marketable and I think the large majority of Universal park goers would rather have other IPs (or even original content).

It's a Catch 22 for Universal Theme Parks. Their focus is leveraging well known IPs. The catch is most well-known IPs are male-led. The horse is right there in front of the cart.

Now, a conversation about the implicit biases that cause most well-known IPs to be male-led themselves is a different story. The theme park is working with what's available. I think it's notable that all of their live characters are purposely gender-non-specific and their most recent attractions that doesn't feature a human/humanoid lead has a female protagonist for the narrative (Kong). Though Mummy created an original character to introduce the story, the fact that it's a male character is a "safer" call because we see that character die.

Every other attraction, it's the IP themselves.

No IP currently. Hello Kitty would be ok in Kidzone and I believe @Disneyhead mentioned it being rumored at one point. That’s about it.

The other IPs aren’t really marketable and I think the large majority of Universal park goers would rather have other IPs (or even original content).
This.

OP, do you really think something like Charlie's Angels has a place in modern theme parks? Not attacking, I just sincerely want to know what you'd envision a company like Universal doing with an IP like that.

um Ur forgetting kang and kodos.Where kodos is the only one who talks and does anything and is a female.Also despicable me has 3 leads.

This is an interesting point! I knew Uni was fairly male-focused, but didn’t realize how little women are represented in the rides. For sure, it has to do with Universal being themed to action blockbusters, so male-dominated IPs.

I’m not sure what IP would be the one to break this streak, but representation is important. People like to see themselves. Of course it’s a subtle thing, but when people see themselves in anything (books, movies, why not theme parks too?) they’re drawn to it. It can be a surprisingly powerful tool to make audiences interested.

OP, do you really think something like Charlie's Angels has a place in modern theme parks? Not attacking, I just sincerely want to know what you'd envision a company like Universal doing with an IP like that.
I never thought Bourne would have a place at a theme park. Same with Fast and Furious, Fear Factor Live, Murder She Wrote, and those are just a few at Universal. Disney has many more that seem like unlikely theme park attractions.

Charlie's Angels could potentially make an OK stunt show. They're releasing a reboot this year... I'm guessing it'll tank, but if it doesn't, it could work.

Look, I'm not saying the IPs I listed are my favorites. I'd much prefer "Blizzard World" or something. But listing our favorite IPs is not the point of this thread.
If the ride is good, sure, why not. But if they're going to make a crummy ride just for the sake of making a female-led product, then why bother? Look what happened to Ghostbusters.
I agree 100%.

While it's not an "attraction", the Today Show Café?

TodayShow-2018-KeyArt-Logo-Show-Tile-1920x1080.jpg

Just thinking about NBC/Universal properties with female leads, there isn't much out there. And, yes, it's a problem of female under representation in the media.

And, yes, it's a problem of female under representation in the media.
No, it’s not. Equality of opportunity is crucial and right and important. Equality of outcome is not.

If they brought in more money, they would be better represented.
It seems you're disagreeing that women are not represented, but then you state they aren't represented and then go into the reason why.

GAcoaster was making a statement of fact - there aren't as many females in media, so there's fewer to choose from.

Last edited:
It seems you're disagreeing that women are not represented, but state they are and then go into the reason why.

GAcoaster was making a statement of fact - there aren't as many females in media, so there's fewer to choose from.

You’re right. As was @GAcoaster

I misinterpreted it. Apologies.

Universal does have one female lead going in their favor, though. @Alicia - The best insider of Universal there is. While she might not work for Universal, she’s starting to become (if she hasn’t already) the de facto go-to for information and advice from media outlets regarding them.