Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion | Page 59 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The fact that Get Out was off the table for socio-political reasons, but The First Purge was one of the first few mazes announced will always irk me. Granted they had to cut out a lot of stuff from the film for obvious reasons in the maze, and it clearly showed, but still. I don't think it would've killed them to maybe include Get Out in HoB 2 to fill up the blackout rooms.

They did sanitize the hell out of TFP, let's be fair. No Klansman soldiers for a start (at least, without the pointy hoods), and all the mercs at the end were based on the blue face-masks instead of the blackface ones that showed up in the movie.

I'm really not sure if politics was the reason that Get Out was off the cards, right? I think it was legitimately just because he didn't feel like it would fit as a maze, at least that's what I believe he's said in interviews, same with A Quiet Place and Rosemary's Baby.

Reactions: Clive
They did sanitize the hell out of TFP, let's be fair. No Klansman soldiers for a start (at least, without the pointy hoods), and all the mercs at the end were based on the blue face-masks instead of the blackface ones that showed up in the movie.

I'm really not sure if politics was the reason that Get Out was off the cards, right? I think it was legitimately just because he didn't feel like it would fit as a maze, at least that's what I believe he's said in interviews, same with A Quiet Place and Rosemary's Baby.
I think Murdy said something along the lines of not being able to do the film justice since it would be extremely difficult to properly represent the social commentary in maze form.

I wouldn’t expect anything this year. Get Out just seems to me that it wouldn’t work sense all the scares come from just white people nothing truly scary there and with Us coming out this year I would imagine they would want to wait to see how it does and for everyone to see it instead of it being spoiled or people go though the maze and think it was bad and don’t see the movie.

Reactions: Kadath
I wouldn’t expect anything this year. Get Out just seems to me that it wouldn’t work sense all the scares come from just white people nothing truly scary there and with Us coming out this year I would imagine they would want to wait to see how it does and for everyone to see it instead of it being spoiled or people go though the maze and think it was bad and don’t see the movie.

Us comes out in like a week and it’s going to be profitable given that it’s Blumhouse + it’s a Jordan Peele movie, plus spoilers wouldn’t be a concern since HHN starts about 6 months after the film is released. If it came out around the time of Halloween last year I could see that point but even then they would’ve done H2018 if Miramax hadn’t said no.

That and HHN has been pretty good with doing "preview houses" and filling them with enough content WITHOUT spoiling anything huge (e.g. Crimson Peak's ending, HDD killer reveal in HoB, etc...)

Reactions: Kadath
I'm gonna voice an unpopular opinion... I do not like nor want originals at HHN Hollywood. I do not go to be immersed in originals, I go to be placed in the movies. One is fine I suppose but I do not like the constant demand for them. If you want originals, go to Knotts Scary Farm, Dark Harbor or Fright Fest (which has improved so much and no one ever talks about it). They work in Orlando because they defined the haunt genre. It's a tourist destination. HHN, being focused on movies, is what separates it and makes it work so well here. Not to mention the fact that when they do make originals, they're not always well received by the general public.

THIS!

Reactions: Kadath and chris.g
If they used the poster image (moth on mouth), made the announcement video a collection of news reports about Buffalo Bill's victims, shot of the cells just before reaching Hannibal--think the marketing for Shining. Anthony Hopkins and Jack Nicholson are pretty much on the same level of status, so I think they could probably feature his likeness in the house, so long as he's not on the marketing.

And at this point, Hill House has to be at least as well-known to the GP as Poltergeist.

I've never heard of Susperia and everyone seems to be on that train right now. Hill House was meme city in social media. Everyone I know saw it.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
With Jordan Peele doing Twilight Zone, I'd say that's also a good contender for next year also. Starting a relationship with him now could be a great business opportunity for HHN and the next 3 or so years filled with content and a draw of a name.

With Jordan Peele doing Twilight Zone, I'd say that's also a good contender for next year also. Starting a relationship with him now could be a great business opportunity for HHN and the next 3 or so years filled with content and a draw of a name.
I feel like Twilight Zone will really depend on whether people watch it since its on a streaming service. Universal may be weary to do a lesser known cult tv property after AvED didn't get a lot of GP recognition since not many people have Starz. I'd love to see Us at HHN down the line based on the tidbits we've seen though.

I feel like Twilight Zone will really depend on whether people watch it since its on a streaming service. Universal may be weary to do a lesser known cult tv property after AvED didn't get a lot of GP recognition since not many people have Starz. I'd love to see Us at HHN down the line based on the tidbits we've seen though.

There really doesn't seem to be a reason not to use Us, as far as I can tell. It's got huge exposure, for a start, and just two weeks after Captain Marvel, it's probably gonna get one of the biggest openings of Blumhouse's history. Lupita Nyongo is famous, Jordan Peele is famous, his word means something to the GA, and Us is getting the kind of rave reviews that powered the Conjuring to horror legend.

Plus, there should be basically no concern about the locations or the characters. It's a slam-dunk. Horror Nights has a scary-movie factory on its hands, and not a moment too soon either, given the rise of Warner Brothers and the Fox deal.

So if Suspiria does come where would they put it? My bet would be the Metro Tent but some of the sets in the original movie(Patricia’s death specifically) are huge. Honestly if any house could use black walls Suspiria could easily fill some in towards the end after you hit Markos’ room

So if Suspiria does come where would they put it? My bet would be the Metro Tent but some of the sets in the original movie(Patricia’s death specifically) are huge. Honestly if any house could use black walls Suspiria could easily fill some in towards the end after you hit Markos’ room

The Overlook was huge, remember. So was the living room in Poltergeist; both Orlando and Hollywood found ways of circumventing those problems (Hollywood had you "descend" from the second story, Orlando just didn't bother)

My guess with how they'd do Patricia's death...probably what they did with the Overlook, build a tall room with pillars, maybe black it out or use some projection effects, then hang a body from the ceiling as a distraction for a scare by Patricia's friend with all the glass in her face?

Reactions: horrornights789
Thing about The Twilight Zone, streaming service or not, is the brand name is big enough to sell you on it alone. Also they're recreating old famous episodes. Those who know the brand will see old stuff they love with new things. Those who have no idea what Twilight Zone is will just think of it as an original Jordan Peele thing.

Thing about The Twilight Zone, streaming service or not, is the brand name is big enough to sell you on it alone. Also they're recreating old famous episodes. Those who know the brand will see old stuff they love with new things. Those who have no idea what Twilight Zone is will just think of it as an original Jordan Peele thing.
I think it would work really well as a Password maze as well.

With Disney out in front handing you a lawsuit. That would be pretty cool.