Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

New Star Wars Trilogy from David Benioff/D.B. Weiss

The Last Jedi's box office already indicated the series is getting somewhat oversaturated, but I don't think Disney is going to pay attention unless something does REALLY poorly here (IE Solo under 250M).
The Last Jedi was the highest grossing film worldwide last year, though? Not sure where you're coming from.

Yeah the biggest problem that I can foresee is fan confusion if they have up to 4 different timelines (and eventually more if they keep handing out new trilogies like candy):

1) Continuation of main story past Episode 9
2) Prequels that occur before Episode 4
3) Rian Trilogy
4) Benioff-Weiss Trilogy

It's going to be a lot to follow, and I know a lot of fans that may end up just deciding to follow the main story while dropping the rest...
Put me in that camp as well, I have watched the original trilogy, the prequels and then this new “continuation” trilogy. I probably won’t even watch the coming trilogies and I haven’t nor plan on watching the “side movies” (rogue one and solo). Just my $0.02 and I feel like the overstaturation argument is correct and will ultimately end up hurting them.

Last Jedi did about $1.3 billion. Force Awakens did about $2 billion. Yes, it's a lot of money but it's also a significant drop.
I think they'll survive that one.

What i'm not sure they'll be able to survive (successfully, at least) is these two new trilogies, the Anthology films, the TV series and the Skywalker saga just sort of hanging in limbo. Oversaturation to the max.

I think they'll survive that one.

What i'm not sure they'll be able to survive (successfully, at least) is these two new trilogies, the Anthology films, the TV series and the Skywalker saga just sort of hanging in limbo. Oversaturation to the max.

Do we really think that the Skywalker's Saga will continue? With how Carrie has passed and the events of TLJ has made it more improbable that after Episode IX that well see more coming out of that.

Do we really think that the Skywalker's Saga will continue? With how Carrie has passed and the events of TLJ has made it more improbable that after Episode IX that well see more coming out of that.
It could easily continue. The original characters aren't needed for the Skywalker saga to succeed.

Do I think it will continue? I'm not quite sure. I certainly don't think it will for at least 10+ years. With these new trilogies, it seems like Disney wants to focus on expanding the Star Wars Universe. I also know from interviews that Daisey Ridley, John Boyega and much of the rest of the cast want to move on from this chapter of their career.

Obviously we haven't even seen Episode 9 yet, so we're getting ahead of ourselves, but the point is that I know a lot of fans DO expect there to be a Fourth trilogy in the Skywalker saga. It will have to be addressed what the future is.

There was an interesting point made on Reddit earlier. What if they made one of the trilogies or a movie centred around the Sith/Dark Side?

I honestly hope that Benioff and Weiss or Johnson is handling the Rule of Two and the Darth Bane story, as that makes a lot of sense for establishing that into the Star Wars universe canonically.

There was an interesting point made on Reddit earlier. What if they made one of the trilogies or a movie centred around the Sith/Dark Side?
I could definitely see this happening. Look at Suicide Squad, while not a great movie, which focused on the baddies.
I know a lot of fans that like Vader and the Stormtroopers who would love some more backstory in that regard.

TLJ(The 8TH movie of the series) is the 6th biggest domestic and 9th biggest movie worldwide ever. Clearly the series isn't saturated enough.

Will they make a good SW movie that people won't go see? The counterpoint to the MCU worry, is that DC has the same benefits and routinely rolls out filth. So just because you have the characters in place, doesn't mean you know what you're doing. So if you know what you're doing, but don't have the characters, will it work?

We will see. Solo may be enough of a train wreck that it ruins this whole plan pretty quickly. The whole idea of saturation doesn't bother me at all as a fan. If I like what Rian is doing, I will go see it. If I don't, but I like these guys, I'll go see that instead. I get that it can get shaky from a business perspective. But Disney pumping out too many well made movies of varying value is far from my biggest annoyance with Hollywood right now.

Last Jedi did about $1.3 billion. Force Awakens did about $2 billion. Yes, it's a lot of money but it's also a significant drop.
That drop would have happened no matter the movie's overall reception, though. TFA had thirty years worth of pent up hype and demand to see a true continuation of the original trilogy. TLJ had nowhere near that amount of demand, even after TFA's success.

There's been like 15 Marvel movies in the past 5 years. I think we can handle 3 more Star Wars ones.
The difference is that the MCU is literally a franchise of franchises. Guardians of the Galaxy is completely different from Black Panther, which is completely different from Captain America: Civil War, which is completely different from Spider-Man Homecoming, and so on. It's a string of different franchises, characters, and stories connected by crossovers... just like the comic books they're based on. If the DCEU actually was high-quality, it'd work just as well with its variety of characters and stories.

Meanwhile, every Star Wars movie is still a Star Wars movie. No matter how "different" these new separate trilogies are, they're still going to have a baseline of similarity to the main Star Wars formula, just as Rogue One did and Solo seems to be doing. It may have a non-related cast in a non-related environment, but it's still "A Star Wars Story." And unlike Marvel, there's absolutely no source material to pull from. Star Wars was a series that was special for not being a typical blockbuster... and now they're trying to turn it into a series that's pumped out yearly.

I could be entirely wrong... maybe the conventions of the series will be completely defied by the new series, in a positive way, that ends up satisfying fans AND the general public. But from Disney's Star Wars treatment so far... I'm not super helpful.

That drop would have happened no matter the movie's overall reception, though. TFA had thirty years worth of pent up hype and demand to see a true continuation of the original trilogy. TLJ had nowhere near that amount of demand, even after TFA's success.

The difference is that the MCU is literally a franchise of franchises. Guardians of the Galaxy is completely different from Black Panther, which is completely different from Captain America: Civil War, which is completely different from Spider-Man Homecoming, and so on. It's a string of different franchises, characters, and stories connected by crossovers... just like the comic books they're based on. If the DCEU actually was high-quality, it'd work just as well with its variety of characters and stories.

Meanwhile, every Star Wars movie is still a Star Wars movie. No matter how "different" these new separate trilogies are, they're still going to have a baseline of similarity to the main Star Wars formula, just as Rogue One did and Solo seems to be doing. It may have a non-related cast in a non-related environment, but it's still "A Star Wars Story." And unlike Marvel, there's absolutely no source material to pull from. Star Wars was a series that was special for not being a typical blockbuster... and now they're trying to turn it into a series that's pumped out yearly.

I could be entirely wrong... maybe the conventions of the series will be completely defied by the new series, in a positive way, that ends up satisfying fans AND the general public. But from Disney's Star Wars treatment so far... I'm not super helpful.

"Marvel" is like "Disney", it's the umbrella name. As of yet Star Wars isn't an umbrella name, either because they haven't tried yet and this will be that or they actively have tried not to.

I am just going to throw this out there, since I am not a fan of people that measure success by money made and not by quality of product. If we level the field and take inflation into consideration we can see where TLJ stands against George Lucas’ Star Wars. Let’s keep in mind TLJ still has advantage over these numbers since “by Google” today’s average movie ticket price is $8.97 (which I totally disagree, because I paid $15.00 for 3D and I know 2D is about $12.00 in Orlando) But whatever $8.97 it is, even though it’s still a disadvantage “IMO” for Ep. I – VI vs whatever the box office numbers are today for TLJ.

Episode:

I - 1.817 B

II - 1.000 B

III - 1.188 B

IV - 3.117 B

V - 1.791 B

VI - 1.493 B

I'm excited to see what they can do with the Star Wars universe - super excited!

Question is, will this be before or after the RJ trilogy?

They didn't go into details when it came to Rians, but considering this is going possibly back to the levels of Old Republic era; I would assume it'd be it's own thing.

If it goes to Old Republic level; I hope part of it revolves with Revan or Bane.

They didn't go into details when it came to Rians, but considering this is going possibly back to the levels of Old Republic era; I would assume it'd be it's own thing.

Thanks but I probably didn't make myself clear - meant when it might be filmed and come out?

Not sure if Disney is currently planning for this to be the next trilogy after ep 9 or the RJ trilogy?