Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Rivers of Light General Discussion and Photos

This looks interesting. I'll probably try to catch it on my Fall vacation. I wouldn't have bothered with the first version since it didn't pique my interest.

At least they realize that Rivers of Light was a complete Dumpster fire and are trying to fix it. I don't care that it will have characters, I just want an entertaining show. This is coming awfully quick with it being Memorial Day weekend.

Hopefully they've figured out a way to make the fountains more vibrant. If not, I feel like that's something they're going to have to deal with over time, possibly draining parts of the waterway and installing a World of Color/Cinematic Celebration-style fountain system that's much more controlled than what's currently in place.

Last edited:
At least they realize that Rivers of Light was a complete Dumpster fire and are trying to fix it. I don't care that it will have characters, I just want an entertaining show. This is coming awfully quick with it being Memorial Day weekend.

Hopefully they've figured out a way to make the fountains more vibrant. If not, I feel like that's something they're going to have to deal with over time, possibly draining parts of the waterway and installing a World of Color/Cinematic Celebration-style fountain system that's much more controlled than what's currently in place.

I hope they’ve figured out a way to reorganize the show to make it more dramatic and compelling. I fear they’re just swapping video footage.

I hope they’ve figured out a way to reorganize the show to make it more dramatic and compelling. I fear they’re just swapping video footage.
The fact it's happening so quickly and there's no new set pieces has me thinking the same. It's also the same music from the original show. I'm not really expecting much as this seems a bit lazy. Seems like they were mostly concerned with the show getting poor GSATs so they decided to throw some characters at it to help keep the attention of kids more.

We'll see, I guess.

Maybe I'm alone on this, but I think all RoL needs is a new narrative.

The theater is stunning (easily the best in Orlando) and most of the set pieces are pretty cool. They just aren't cool enough to sustain attention without a narrative behind them.

RoL's narrative is pretty incoherent + boring right now. If they change up the narrative, I think they have all of the pieces to make a pretty good show already.

RIP the original soundtrack and show... I absolutely loved it and personally never thought it undersold what it was trying to give. Honestly I expected a pacing/narrative change and updated imagery with plussed effects to increase the spectacle aspect, which is okay by me, but I’m as tired with character inclusion as some are with screens. I love Disney characters, but I despise seeing them in DAK. :/

RIP the original soundtrack and show... I absolutely loved it and personally never thought it undersold what it was trying to give. Honestly I expected a pacing/narrative change and updated imagery with plussed effects to increase the spectacle aspect, which is okay by me, but I’m as tired with character inclusion as some are with screens. I love Disney characters, but I despise seeing them in DAK. :/
Chapek's mandate is IP in everything. Nothing original is safe anymore unless it has a bigger brand around it (Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, etc). It wasn't too long ago rumors were going around about SSE possibly getting gutted for an IP-based ride (thankfully they've backed off on that).

Chapek's mandate is IP in everything. Nothing original is safe anymore unless it has a bigger brand around it (Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, etc). It wasn't too long ago rumors were going around about SSE possibly getting gutted for an IP-based ride (thankfully they've backed off on that).

I’ve been noticing... This worries me. I am so excited to see amazing inclusions so heavily focused on their source content like SWGE, but this is solely because they’re money-making IPs. This might be a trite sentiment, but I’m absolutely sick of it. Not to be dramatic, but will we see an original attraction or show concept ever again?

Mystic Manor wasn't terribly long ago, but it's really hard for me to see an original happening anytime soon. Bob Chapek has to go.

Tea.

I’m counting blessings here and I’m glad the lotuses and central theme aren’t being replaced. I hope the animal floats remain, too. I wouldn’t mind seeing a lot more fountains, though.

We all knew the additions of IP were coming, though unfortunately this is sounding less like a 2.0 overhaul and more of "Welp, let's slap the IP right on there to make it work somehow.".

Same, and I agree with what you said on twitter that it feels like RoL shows it's hand way too early. An because of that, it feels like the show has no idea where to go once it does. The former "Legend of Mythica" show at TDS is a great example of how to do a water pageant right. First it starts small with the jetski's/performers setting the story up, then come the parade of floats with the characters to help summon the Mythical creatures. Then come the giant Mythical floats. It's all a elaborate build up which worked so well.

RoL should start small, like maybe it's been years that the animals have joined in this ceremony etc. First you have the boats, then you have the lotus floats, building and building till the animal lanterns arrive and you have a nice pageant with all the floats. For me that would be better than trying to go big all at once in the beginning, quickly downsizing and meandering through to the end. Though unfortunately that's just one element out of several which needs reworking.

Mystic Manor wasn't terribly long ago, but it's really hard for me to see an original happening anytime soon. Bob Chapek has to go.

I recall seeing a comment somewhere which sums things up rather thusly, Chapek is Pressler 2.0.

I really like the show, especially the music so glad that's staying but definitely miss the live performers. Hopefully this plusses it back to where it was before the changes.

Oddly enough my wife and I caught this for the first time in January and came away very unimpressed. We didn’t feel any real connection to the story and it just seemed thrown together. We both suggested adding Disney IPs and music as a way to connect with more people. I mean more of just supplemental to the overall show not the main theme if that makes sense. (I know I will get chastised for it but it’s our opinions.)

Oddly enough my wife and I caught this for the first time in January and came away very unimpressed. We didn’t feel any real connection to the story and it just seemed thrown together. We both suggested adding Disney IPs and music as a way to connect with more people. I mean more of just supplemental to the overall show not the main theme if that makes sense. (I know I will get chastised for it but it’s our opinions.)
It is not odd that you came away unimpressed. It is normal.

Maybe next time you should pull very hard on your left earlobe, who knows, it works for Joe Rohde. ;)

But adding animated characters is great. Real animals are so unimpressive.

Maybe next time you should pull very hard on your left earlobe, who knows, it works for Joe Rohde. ;)

But adding animated characters is great. Real animals are so unimpressive.
My issue with the show is not its inclusion of real animals, it's that it lacks substance...The ToL projection show(s) far surpas RoL in pacing, music and story

My issue with the show is not its inclusion of real animals, it's that it lacks substance...The ToL projection show(s) far surpas RoL in pacing, music and story

I will agree here. But the music in RoL is still the best in the whole resort, for me. (I’m not counting IllumiNations)

Music is great, but I think the problem is both the "story" trying to be told. Because there's no characters nor a story you can see take place, it just feels like your watching random scenes and things floating by.