Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem (USH)

Guests: "No more 3D rides! PLEASE!"

Universal: "Okay. We'll remove 3D from all of our rides that was made for 3D."

No Universal. You don't solve the problem of too many 3D rides by removing the 3D from your rides that was made for it. You solve it by STOP FRIGGIN' BUILDING MORE 3D RIDES. Is that too hard to figure out!? This would be the equivalent of complaining that there are not enough kids rides on the lower lot and turning Mummy, Transformers, and JW into Sesame Street rides. They were made for a purpose, you leave them alone for what they were intended for.

That being said, the Minions Ride was never great, but at least the 3D made it harder to see the edges of the screen. Now this would just be a downgrade.

Last edited:
But as you already say, the attraction was pretty mediocre already. To me, it's more of a lateral move. While I agree the screen is too small for this, I'd suspect the average park guest isn't going to care all that much. But I suppose time will tell if it comes back one day.

and with that reply..."we make changes and adjustments to our attractions based upon Guest feedback we receive" , when should we expect Universal Orlando to burn down or blow up the F&F building? ;):lol:

Lol'd so hard at that one! :hail:

It's amazing how Universal are so inconsistent, they develop some of the best attractions ever - Spider-Man and Potter - and then someone approves seemingly stupid knee jerk type decisions like this (probably the same person who thought making Forbidden Journey 3D was a good idea)

I'm not too annoyed with this but if they touch Transformers or Kong they are CRAZY.

(probably the same person who thought making Forbidden Journey 3D was a good idea)

It was a good idea. I liked it in 3D. It’s different, not worse, than the 2D version. I’d argue until the HFR version it was superior.

It was a good idea. I liked it in 3D. It’s different, not worse, than the 2D version. I’d argue until the HFR version it was superior.

I respectfully disagree.
It was so dark you could hardly see anything and the fact it was removed within 6 months (?) of opening tells you how popular it was.

My problem is not 3D but the retrofitting of a non 3D ride which was never designed to be in 3D and was already fully immersive.

I brought this up because it's essentially the reverse with Despicable me - a ride designed to be 3D now being retrofitted to 2D.

I respectfully disagree.
It was so dark you could hardly see anything and the fact it was removed within 6 months (?) of opening tells you how popular it was.

My problem is not 3D but the retrofitting of a non 3D ride which was never designed to be in 3D and was already fully immersive.

I brought this up because it's essentially the reverse with Despicable me - a ride designed to be 3D now being retrofitted to 2D.

It works in Japan. :shrug:

I don't believe it is in 3D in Japan anymore either, at least not since the 4K upgrades?
Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey™ |Attractions|Universal Studios Japan™

That's what I'm saying. DM was built over there as a 2D ride.

I did post this in the Orlando thread, might as well post here, too.

There is a pretty vocal group that DO NOT like 3D, especially as many of the rides at UO utilize the glasses. DM was chosen as:

A. An easy switch.
B. The precedent it can work (i.e. Japan)

It also helps that it is, effectively, a cost cutting move.

Nothing about kids from the intel I got.

There is a pretty vocal group that DO NOT like 3D, especially as many of the rides at UO utilize the glasses. DM was chosen as:

A. An easy switch.

Ahhhh thought you were talking about Forbidden Journey.
I get your point about DM, and as I said I don't mind it too much. Japan obviously has the advantage of massive screens.

A. An easy switch.

But Japan has that same huge wrap around screen , like the Simpsons. If Orlando & Hollywood had that, it would probably be fine, just as Simpsons is in 2D. ...And, yes, I was always in the it's also probably a cost cutting move camp. .Anyway......I'll be better able to truly judge it when I make it to Orlando on the 16th. I'll give my honest opinion then. :cheers: It's a ride we usually do numerous times on a trip.

Rode it yesterday to see the """""""""""improvements""""""""""".

Yeah, I don't know what they were thinking doing this. The experience has been significantly diminished because now you can easily see the edges of the screen and everything else around you. This was made for 3D and it's painfully obvious. I've always preferred this over Simpsons, but now this makes the Simpsons Ride look pretty good. This was never an amazing ride, but they just made it useless now.

I really hope they changed their mind in a few months on this, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. They already put a giant poster over the 3D glasses stand. *sigh*

Yeah, I don't know what they were thinking doing this.

As I've said before the decision to remove 3D here is another case of absolutely brain-dead executives completely misunderstanding guest feedback, demanding foolish changes be made to attractions that will actually make the "too many screens" complaints worse, and then playing dumb when social media blows-up and the GSATs go lower instead of higher. Remember when we all thought F&F would be a wake-up call for everyone that would result in changes in the executive structure at the top? Yeah that didn't happen.

As I've said before the decision to remove 3D here is another case of absolutely brain-dead executives completely misunderstanding guest feedback, demanding foolish changes be made to attractions that will actually make the "too many screens" complaints worse, and then playing dumb when social media blows-up and the GSATs go lower instead of higher. Remember when we all thought F&F would be a wake-up call for everyone that would result in changes in the executive structure at the top? Yeah that didn't happen.

You're not getting a public execution from Universal on executive or company changes. It's been said by many insiders that there have been changes within and they are aware of the issues; making adjustments going forward - even outright canceling an attraction due to heavy screen usage (i.e. Shrek replacement). You may not like the changes, or feel they are addressing the way you feel is the right way, but it's getting a bit ridiculous to keep putting your head in the sand and ignoring the evidence (at least what can be publicly provided) as an overall problem of incompetence. As stated before, there is a good amount of guests who have a problem with 3D. You can argue the semantics about whether screens and 3D are the same or whatever, but the feedback was clearly indicative of a "3D" issue. Since it was an easy switch, and it works in Japan in 2D (Granted bigger screens), on top of cutting costs, they made the switch.

Hagrid is opening this year, SLoP next year, Nintendo after... They are not going to shut down every simulator and screen-reliant ride yesterday for a replacement. They are making the changes as they can, when they can.

Either way, I'm awaiting word on how GSAT's have been since the change. As evident with Fallon... Just because the board may feel a certain way, doesn't mean the public feels the same. If GSAT's are indeed lower, then have at it.

Got a chance to ride it today. Didn’t see the first pre show as I was last one to be lined up. Got front row and the screen was kinda blurry from that row. Definitely a inferior experience. Will try it a few more times later in the week but I think it is clear Universal had made a poor decision removing 3D. Maybe the GP does not care.