Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem (USH)

USF's still has 3D per a recent response from the Universal Orlando twitter account. I still think they made this change as a test to gauge reaction. Does anyone know if the two theaters at USH are identical to the one at USF in terms of screen size and seating?

USF's still has 3D per a recent response from the Universal Orlando twitter account. I still think they made this change as a test to gauge reaction. Does anyone know if the two theaters at USH are identical to the one at USF in terms of screen size and seating?
It was still 3D at Orlando last week when we rode it a few times. The Orlando screen is so small, I have trouble visualizing how the ride would seem immersive without 3D. Also, due to the recent change reports, I paid more attention to the 3D elements, just to see how it would be without them. Unlike Shrek or Muppets 3D, which only use a few scenes in 3d that stand out from the theater screen, DM has every single scene extended from the screen into the audience. While I can see this working without 3D on a large screen, I really have difficulty visualizing how this could be equal, or better, on a screen of this size. Even Fallon's screen is 'massive' in relation to the DM Orlando screen.

Rode it again this time towards the back. Still think it is inferior to the 3D version. Also they didn’t load the front rows when I rode it. Either it was a fluke (the line was over 60 min wait) or the got negative feedback about the ride so close to the screen. If that is the case then they effectively reduced the capacity of the ride by 1/3.

have you ridden it without 3d? your opinion may change.
I rode it without the 3D last weekend. I was sitting in the front section, second row, and I found the experience pretty immersive. I didn't really notice the edges of the screen very much if at all. I can imagine, though, that the further back you go, the more noticeable it becomes.

Yeah, I was on the back side. Pretty dang noticeable there. Still, though, to me, this has always been considered by me to be a "C" or "D" level attraction, even with the 3D. So I don't expect too much of it (for better or worse).