Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

I mean... did anyone really expect anything more from what's an essentially a motion simulator? I'm surprised so many people are surprised.

At the same time, it was never intended as the "E" ticket attraction, and (without yet having ridden it--my reservations are for next week) I think too many are trying to make it the E ticket attraction anyway. So of course experiences are going to be in line with that unreasonable expectation.

I expected something not as fundamentally flawed, especially for a signature experience in a billion dollar land.

At the same time, it was never intended as the "E" ticket attraction, and (without yet having ridden it--my reservations are for next week) I think too many are trying to make it the E ticket attraction anyway.

It's second-most recognizable icon from the franchise (behind Vader). And it's the corner-piece of a new multi-billion-dollar land. Of course it was intended to be an E-ticket. If it's not, that's a failure in design.

I love Star Tours as well, I think it gets a lot of hate because of how old it is but it still delivers.
First time riding star tours last year, liked it!
I expexted some negative reviews as i do with all new attractions and lands, but I've been doing my research for a week now and i can not believe that a LOT of people really are not blown away by this ride :shrug:. Feels like ROTR was where they put the blood sweat and tears into and i hope im right.

Last edited:
I thought I'd be too nit picky for bringing up the control scheme... But I've thought a bit about it. In this day and age... It's kind of laughable. We've had 3D games for almost 30 years. You can play games with more interactivity and controls on your cell phone.

I've been scratching my head why they didn't have one pilot with full directional control of the ship, One controlling Speed, Hyperspace travel and Navigating towards objectives or something similar. It would've reflected the way it looks in the movies, Which is the allure to attending an "IP-land" in the first place... You get to put yourself in an environment you've only dreamed of that only ever took place in this that or the other.

It doesn't really appear all that interactive. Just a typical "on rails" shooter, Dumbed down enough so that 3 year old can understand... And I understand that's Disney's thing... But does it really work with "Star Wars"?... Why on earth, with this property? Why would they build a ride based on a ship that is legendary in pop culture and lore and a movie from 30+ years ago... Then build a land, ride and experience that caters to young children, and parts of the series that are only 4 years old?

It's the Millennium Falcon, one of, if not the most recognizable fictional spacecraft of all time... It certainly deserves to be treated like an E-ticket.

Testa's review certainly should give one pause. And is his 3.5 score... out of 10? Because that's how negative it comes across.

Again, I have to wonder how much of the lukewarm reaction to Smuggler’s Run would have been offset had Rise of the Resistance also opened with the land (assuming it’s as good as we’re hoping/thinking).

Testa's review certainly should give one pause. And is his 3.5 score... out of 10? Because that's how negative it comes across.

Again, I have to wonder how much of the lukewarm reaction to Smuggler’s Run would have been offset had Rise of the Resistance also opened with the land (assuming it’s as good as we’re hoping/thinking).

3.5/5, as per UG grading. They rank ST a 4/5.

Sorry, but I just don't understand why doesn't Disney just open the reservation list again? Its obviously not making the same as what they thought

Oh man Disney. Buying the Star War license and making almost everything but the movies non canon and pissing over fans in a huge way was already a stupid choice. Then making new movies but treating the original characters bad and killing them of in a cheap way wasn't great either.
Now creating a "land" that is inspired by every "look" in Star Wars but being nothing in Star Wars and calling it "canon". Then the whole "creating a light-saber" that is a whole story line on it's own but here its reduced to a scrapyard-build-a-bear experience with actors that us a script that is filled with names we have nothing to do with the whole thing. Above that, raising Yoda from the dead to add to the sales talk, and may I remind you, that is all in canon! As is the building of a bright plastic droid on a conveyor-belt that looks bright purple.
And on top of that the Millennium Falcon, the most iconic piece of junk in the galaxy, who we have seen in every movies and has almost been always the same, has a redesigned cockpit with gunners in the cockpit and not in their own cool area with a seats that can swivel around a 360 degree view to shoot stuff. Sure batuu is canon.
I get it that it would be theme-park-afied. Nothing wrong with that. But there is clearly too much freedom taken from the source material imho. The whole "if you don't think to much and don't care it's fun and looks great" is just not going to cut it this time. Just my 2 cents.

I expected something not as fundamentally flawed, especially for a signature experience in a billion dollar land.

Right. It doesn't have to be perfect. Forbidden Journey is a cobbled mess plot and location wise... But they absolutely blew everything else out of the water in terms of the ride experience.

Sorry, but I just don't understand why doesn't Disney just open the reservation list again? Its obviously not making the same as what they thought

Two reasons.

1) PR nightmare from all sides. Think of the headlines: "Demand lower than expected! Disney desperate to fill the underperforming new area!" And then, people who got reservations the first time get angry. "Now the land is going to be too packed! We got our reservations, fair and square!"

2) They don't actually know how many people are going to show up. They gave out the "max" amount of reservations they were comfortably having in the new land... assuming everyone showed up. Not everyone has, but they don't actually know the ratio on any given day. It's guesswork. Allowing some people to add guests boosts those numbers without overwhelming them.

It would have been more “fair and square” if the reservations were tied to a ticket sale versus anyone being able to just grab one regardless of actual intention levels of attending.

Probably! But it's too late to put that genie back in the bottle.

It's second-most recognizable icon from the franchise (behind Vader). And it's the corner-piece of a new multi-billion-dollar land. Of course it was intended to be an E-ticket. If it's not, that's a failure in design.
The crazy thing is it truly wasn’t ever going to be E-ticket caliber beyond the queue. This was always a D-ticket at best.