Volcano Bay: General Discussion | Page 201 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I just wonder why a GFCI didn't trip? I'd assume everything in a water park is on one. If not, how did they pass a building inspection?

The fact that they name dropped OUC means this wasn't a Margarita machine with its wire sitting in a puddle. You're talking high voltage supply lines. That's some big boy electricity that was causing the issue.

OUC was out there for like a month at the convention center access road by Royal Pacific doing major work there recently, and other parts around that part of the resort.

I wouldn't doubt it. I'm not an expert on this subject but I'm assuming things could of escalated? If so, I think its sick to gamble on someone life for profit.
I'm not sure it worked like that. More of a protocol that needs to be looked at and a general break in the communication chain. Universal is certainly trying to make a profit, but they know that anything that is percieved as unsafe will result in disaster for them as a company (see: Alton Towers)

I'm not sure it worked like that. More of a protocol that needs to be looked at and a general break in the communication chain. Universal is certainly trying to make a profit, but they know that anything that is percieved as unsafe will result in disaster for them as a company (see: Alton Towers)

I hope so because I love going to Volcano Bay. Its my favorite water park.

Reactions: Journey_On
Good example of how a park handles something and publicity works both ways..... Good publicity: Currently the third most read story on the Washington Post is a really nice story, with pictures, how an IOA employee soothed an autistic child as he was about to go into a meltdown. Jennifer Whelchel was the Universal employee and she is being lauded for her actions. The video of this has also gone viral.....Bet she would have handled the VB situation if she was a mgt. employee.

Good example of how a park handles something and publicity works both ways..... Good publicity: Currently the third most read story on the Washington Post is a really nice story, with pictures, how an IOA employee soothed an autistic child as he was about to go into a meltdown. Jennifer Whelchel was the Universal employee and she is being lauded for her actions. The video of this has also gone viral.....Bet she would have handled the VB situation if she was a mgt. employee.
just read it, what an awesome person.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...aving-meltdown-her-act-solidarity-went-viral/

Just an update on that story's popularity. Yes, it was #1 on the Lifestyle section's most read list yesterday. Today it has moved up from #3 most read story newspaper overall to #1 most read story overall (Washington Post, which is an international newspaper for all intents and purposes). Great to see a positive news, good feel, story jump ahead of all the political b.s. and negative stories out there.

Reactions: tankart150
Just an update on that story's popularity. Yes, it was #1 on the Lifestyle section's most read list yesterday. Today it has moved up from #3 most read story newspaper overall to #1 most read story overall (Washington Post, which is an international newspaper for all intents and purposes). Great to see a positive news, good feel, story jump ahead of all the political b.s. and negative stories out there.
It's a great story. But it doesn't make how they handled the VB situation any better. One good story doesn't cross out a bad mark.

It's a great story. But it doesn't make how they handled the VB situation any better. One good story doesn't cross out a bad mark.

From what I’ve been told, certain stories were played up. Did something happen? Yes. Any negligence? Apparently not.

But this is just one second-hand account. I guess we’ll see in the coming weeks.

From what I’ve been told, certain stories were played up. Did something happen? Yes. Any negligence? Apparently not.

But this is just one second-hand account. I guess we’ll see in the coming weeks.
Oh i'm sure. Lawyers coming out of the woodwork with that one woman I assume. The fact she had a 9:36am complaint on the issue and they didn't do anything until 8ish hours later tells me she's gonna get a nice out of court settlement.

I was simply saying that while that other story is the Universal at it's best - where the front line TMs really shine - there's also the VB story too, which is also much more relevant to the thread we're currently in.

Reactions: therock and Andysol
Oh i'm sure. Lawyers coming out of the woodwork with that one woman I assume. The fact she had a 9:36am complaint on the issue and they didn't do anything until 8ish hours later tells me she's gonna get a nice out of court settlement.

That’s not what I’m trying to say... the delayed response is being played up - that I wouldn’t immediately put it as a bad mark; but again, I’d rather wait til OSHA comes out before divulging anything else.

That’s not what I’m trying to say... the delayed response is being played up - that I wouldn’t immediately put it as a bad mark; but again, I’d rather wait til OSHA comes out before divulging anything else.
I mean, i'm not exactly sure how played up it can be. The fact of the matter is that they didn't close the park or even the area where the problems were until late in the day. That's where the negligence is. I know multiple TMs who worked there that day and thankfully weren't affected, but one worked the affected lazy river as a lifeguard that day and based on what he told me, Universal operated as if things were normal for a long time before any serious action was taken on the matter.

Reactions: therock
That wasn't my point. Just that publicity works both ways, bad & good. And special people can bring out the best in a difficult situation, and turn a possibly bad situation into one with a good outcome. Why is it in the VB thread? As an example that the VB situation could have been averted if handled differently, and often that's because of the people involved reacting in a more positive/responsible manner.

Reactions: Joel
They did close off areas. They put barricades up near Whakawaiwai Eats (from the restrooms to the steps near Krakatau) at least as early as 11:45 (tbh, likely earlier - I am going by what I personally saw). I don't know for sure, but it sounded like they closed down even more of that because some entrances/exits through the volcano were even closed off. Areas were closed off for most of the day.

Last edited:
I mean, i'm not exactly sure how played up it can be. The fact of the matter is that they didn't close the park or even the area where the problems were until late in the day. That's where the negligence is. I know multiple TMs who worked there that day and thankfully weren't affected, but one worked the affected lazy river as a lifeguard that day and based on what he told me, Universal operated as if things were normal for a long time before any serious action was taken on the matter.

Cuz this:

They did close off areas. They put barricades up near Whakawaiwai Eats (from the restrooms to the steps near Krakatau) at least as early as 11:45 (tbh, likely earlier - I am going by what I know as fact). I don't know for sure, but it sounded like they closed down even more of that because some entrances/exits through the volcano were even closed off. Areas were closed off for most of the day.

The one article with that one women who said they didn't act for 8 hours neglects to mention any of the above.