Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

There has to be a reason for the 'no toilet bowl' slides at VB. I saw one video suggesting there may be more injuries on these types of slides. Maybe they also don't have high volume of riders, since you have to wait for each to make their way down the drain.

There has to be a reason for the 'no toilet bowl' slides at VB. I saw one video suggesting there may be more injuries on these types of slides. Maybe they also don't have high volume of riders, since you have to wait for each to make their way down the drain.

The injuries thing doesn't make a whole lot of sense, imo. You can injured on any slide at any time, and I don't know why a toilet bowl would be any different or more dangerous. As for the capacity, you could have a point there.

Or they just didn't have any room/budget for more slides when the park first opened.

The injuries thing doesn't make a whole lot of sense, imo. You can injured on any slide at any time, and I don't know why a toilet bowl would be any different or more dangerous.
I believe it may have to do with the random nature of going around the bowl, attempting to make your way into the drain, possibly hitting your head going backwards on the entrance of the drain. Not sure though, just a guess.

But, you can't assume that all slides have equal levels of danger... Otherwise Action Park would have seen no fatalities.

The Pearl Factory (near Ohno and Ohyah) has been converted into the Krakatau Bar. :cheers:

EDIT on 6-20-19: Hmmm, looks like the name of the bar changed to “Kala and Tai Nui Peara Bar.”

I never really understood why they had a pearl factory there to begin with. Beers are far better sellers.
This Forum will always prefer a drinking spot over a merchandise area. :lol::cheers:

You're not wrong. :toast:

Any word on the expansion of this park

I think @Disneyhead ? said there was some movement there about a month or two ago. Whether that means anything, who knows. I think next summer seems to be the sweet point for the expansion to add something new to resort if JP opens in 2021 and Bourne opens later this year.

I'll be finally hitting this in September. Any recommendations?

Solid recommendations from everybody else and you're going to have a blast!

I believe it may have to do with the random nature of going around the bowl, attempting to make your way into the drain, possibly hitting your head going backwards on the entrance of the drain. Not sure though, just a guess.

But, you can't assume that all slides have equal levels of danger... Otherwise Action Park would have seen no fatalities.

.....we don't speak of that park ;)

But I suppose you could be right. In that case, just edit my tube slide complex to include another tube slide with a funnel and another tube slide with a drop.

Use early entry if you are staying the hotels, and hit Krakatau first.

Afterwards, tap in at either Honu or (What's the green one called?), and enjoy Taiwanna Tubes, which is normally a Ride Now

Puhihi (the yellow/orange one) is normally a Ride Now all day as well

You've just done a ton

Try to arrive early as Shiekra mentioned.

Always be in queue for something. Don't worry if it says to return, it will not remove you from the queue. Also, they will let you ride at "5 minutes", you don't need to wait for it to say return.

Grab chairs right away. There's free and paid seating all throughout.. I personally prefer the free seating near the back of the pack, just past Ohno and Ohyeah (when you head left after arrival). There you'll find a shaded spot which is generally pretty secluded. However, if you're planning to suntan with a good view, you could always complete for a seat in front of the volcano, but expect a lot of sun and people.

Unless you plan on spending lots of money on theme park food, I highly recommend packing your food. You can bring cans and plastic bottles, no glass and no alcohol. (They might inspect your drinks to ensure they're not glass or alcohol.) You can bring meals and snacks, I usually bring sandwiches +plenty of chips/fruit/etc. You can bring in soft coolers, no hard coolers. I bought a soft cooler backpack (about $20 on Amazon) which I pack full of cooler packs, drinks, and food, which I also bring to other theme parks.

Waterparks can be exhausting. I bring coffee/energy drinks to keep me going. :)

Drink lots of water. There's drinking fountains around the park which are above par. Or bring your own.

Bring and use lots of sunscreen. Even if it's not too hot or sunny, still use it. I've seen plenty of people burnt and it's just so unnecessary. I recommend buying a cheap sunscreen (like Walmart brand) for your body and a mineral sunscreen (zinc/"no tears") for your face... Otherwise your eyes may burn. (Do your face first, then body... Otherwise the body sunscreen will still be on your hands.) Apply multiple times daily, especially to spots like your shoulders/neck/arms. Don't forget your ears. :p

I like to bring a change of clothes to wear after using their (free) showers at the end of the day.

If you bring your phone, I recommend buying a cheap waterproof case (I got one on Amazon, 2 for $12 I think). You can't take it on a couple of slides (the drop slides/body slides), so either get a small locker or leave it with a friend/family members who isn't going on that slide. (Even if your phone is technically waterproof, beware of sand.)

Larger lockers are generally not necessary. Small locker for possible phone or money, but I don't see a need for anything else. People generally leave their stuff at their chairs, covered by shirts/towels. (Reconsider if you have luxury items I guess.) Lockers are reusable, you can open as many times as you want throughout the day.

You can leave small items on the net-shelves outside of the rides, items such as sandals, sunglasses, shirt, etc. Most slides allow sunglasses. The body slides/drop slides don't allow any items besides prescription glasses (which you'll need to hold in your hand). You can check with the Team Member prior to entering the ride on what's allowed.

The walkways can get hot on sunny days, but they spray the floor with water in most areas... Walk where it's wet if you're barefoot. :)

If you're going with a family, plan on seeing a lot of skin. They don't seem to have strict rules on this. Go to Disney if you have a problem with that. (Assuming Disney has fewer thongs, though I haven't been there in a while.)

Unless you don't want spoilers, watch some walkthrough videos on YouTube (such as from Tim Tracker). They'll give you some other tips and you'll get a better feel for the park.

Thanks to the both of you! Tons of great things for me to think about.

The first time I rode a toilet bowl slide was on a cruise ship, NCL Epic. I took the kid tube (smaller) by mistake and I flew out of the hole so fast and I was at the very top of the bowl for a while! When I finally got to end, the worker was like "Why did you use the kid tube??!!". Um, because most 11 year olds are the same height as me? lol He wasn't impressed.

I think @Disneyhead ? said there was some movement there about a month or two ago. Whether that means anything, who knows. I think next summer seems to be the sweet point for the expansion to add something new to resort if JP opens in 2021 and Bourne opens later this year.

Yea, if Bourne opens this year I could definitely see VB expansion being the plan for the 2020 project.

I think we are almost past the point where they could get a quality expansion open for the 2020 summer season.

They can still put up a slide tower in just a few months time, but if you are talking about rock work and lots of theming... probably not. Disney was able to put up (forgot name of tube slide at TL) in a few months, and it has some level of theming.

They can still put up a slide tower in just a few months time, but if you are talking about rock work and lots of theming... probably not. Disney was able to put up (forgot name of tube slide at TL) in a few months, and it has some level of theming.

I think this will be slightly more tricky since it’s boxed in area with two roads and a building on 3 sides. Calling it a water theme park has boxed them into a corner.

I think this will be slightly more tricky since it’s boxed in area with two roads and a building on 3 sides. Calling it a water theme park has boxed them into a corner.

They should have kept the "water theme park" slogan to a minimum, but I don't want to start this discussion again. :grin:

Construction will definitely be difficult.

To add: None of VB's towers outside of the ones built into the volcano haveany theming anyway. They are a good color (brown) and high end, but still basic with no rock work. Without the lift hill and rockwork (both of which Miss Fortune Falls has), they could go up in 2 months time. Easily.

The issue will be the plumbing, concrete paths and whatever they decide on the sitting/pool aspect of it all.

Personally, I've been wanting a "springs" area as the pool expansion.
Several connected small pools w/ rockwork and lots of bubbles. And if they heated it in the winter, that would be incredible.

It would just give something a little different to the park.

Disney threw up that slide at Typhoon in a few months. I don't see any reason why Uni can't do a slide tower (hell probably multiple slide towers) in the same amount of time.
If that’s all we get from Universal is just another unthemed slide tower, I’m going to call it a miss. I expect much more from Universal and I truly hope whenever they get to waterpark #2, not only do they add some good slides, but invest in very heavily theming the whole park. Universal should be knocking the socks off of Disney’s parks both in terms of rides and theming...some of what they did was excellent, but it’s like they just gave up before finishing.