Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

General Discussion - Hagrid's Magical Creature Motorbike Adventure

Thinking it through, I believe he actually went to ride this today for the first time. It is possible that he was frustrated by the downtimes and felt he needed to let off steam.
Yes, but even if that is the case, he's complaining they didn't have Technical rehearsal signs out. It isn't in technical rehearsals - it already grand opened. His argument is very odd.

I get his point, but it makes no sense. We aren't in technical rehearsals.

I think his point is the ride should be in tech rehearsals based on the non-weather related issues. Normally when Universal gets to grand opening time the attractions are a tiny bit more consistent... it’s been a bit of a messy opening.

This is also the first major outdoor ride they’ve opened in a long time, so weather delays make it look much worse then it may be.

I think his point is the ride should be in tech rehearsals based on the non-weather related issues. Normally when Universal gets to grand opening time the attractions are a tiny bit more consistent... it’s been a bit of a messy opening.

This is also the first major outdoor ride they’ve opened in a long time, so weather delays make it look much worse then it may be.

I think he’s trying to say they should’ve done technical rehearsals instead of just going straight to a grand opening. It would’ve lowered some of the expectations people had and gotten rid of the criticism.
They should've, yeah, but they announced plans, people booked vacations and things fell behind to the point where the simply wasn't enough time. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Last year when Toy Story Land opened, it had precisely 3 hours or so of soft openings and Slinky is a similar type of ride, just with less moving parts.

I really kind of want to pat his head or something, as he's just not getting it? He seems a bit confused over either terminology or what an open ride is compared to a ride in rehearsals. The ride is experiencing technical difficulties at times. This is not unheard of when it comes to rides, most especially with coasters featuring a lot of elements or, especially, elements that have never been done before. There are some really well-known coasters that have a number of on-going maintenance issues, as well as popular coasters that go down or are closed frequently due to weather (or high winds: Gatekeeper, the wing coaster up at CP, just valleyed on Wednesday ago due to high winds). Launch coasters (of any type) in particular seem to suffer tech issues throughout their first season (or two). Steel Curtain and MaxxForce will no doubt have issues well beyond opening day, no matter how highly anticipated they are or how many tests and softs they run, and lets not talk about the issues other big rides like Steel Vengeance have, and that coaster is what people are racing through CP to ride first right now. Regardless of personal "opening day" (which I consider to extend to the first month or so of a coaster's opening, with hiccups throughout the first season being expected) frustrations, Hagrid seems to be doing well, all things considered, and improving every single day. The idea that this coaster wouldn't have issues--even if it had an extended softs--is crazy and unrealistic. People seem to be judging its tech issues harshly because it's at Universal, when this happens to coasters all the damn time at theme parks all across the world. It's almost as if they think Universal has total control on insuring 100% reliability, 30-second wait times, flawless loading/unloading and no hiccups whatsoever from the very first ride simply because it's Universal, when no park or ride manufacturer in the world--theme, resort or otherwise--can or ever will deliver that, no matter how popular the coaster--or IP, in this case--is. :rolleyes::rolleyes::shrug:

Edited to add that I also don't get the insistence that UOR is not communicating to the public that Hagrid may have difficulties throughout the day. From all the reports I've seen, the TMs are being upfront with riders, UOR has been all over their social media with updates and such, and they're all doing their best to do right by their guests under the less-than-ideal circumstances. Universal has no control over the weather, but I'm not surprised that people are getting all ranty at anyone who will listen because of weather closures. My husband works at a really popular resort in our area and anytime it rains they'll get guests storming up the desks demanding refunds or freebies because the rain ruined their day and/or they got wet while out on the golf course. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Last year when Toy Story Land opened, it had precisely 3 hours or so of soft openings and Slinky is a similar type of ride, just with less moving parts.

Didn't Brian say we weren't supposed to be playing the Uni vs Dis game?

Also, hot take or not, Bio contributes more to the theme park community than pretty much anyone on this board. I'm willing to shrug at an occasional head scratcher.

Also, hot take or not, Bio contributes more to the theme park community than pretty much anyone on this board. I'm willing to shrug at an occasional head scratcher.
That was actually me, but in this case I felt it was more than warranted (and I didn't even think of it as a "versus" comparison) as it provided a point of reference for how openings have been handled over the past few years on similar attractions. Hagrid is obviously much more complex than Slinky so it's easy to see why it would have more technical issues.

My main point was about them both having virtually no soft open.

I'm pretty sure he rode today and was frustrated by the downtime. I can understand the comment not withstanding that the grand happened

Yeah, speaking of outdoor rides, since it's so far in the future, Universal really should take a hard look at an opening window for the JP coaster to insure the construction schedules stay away from opening it in the June through September rainy weather season. Crowds are dispersed throughout the year enough now that it's no longer essential to open a new attraction (especially an outdoor one) during the summer season.