Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Epcot (General Discussion)

We all know Epcot isn't what it used to be and is changing so not to harp on that, but, what is the theme for Epcot now? I mean, seriously? Granted we have not seen the new attractions yet and how they tie into Epcot, if they do at all, but whats the theme of this theme park? Marvel lands mixed in with the real world mixed in with Imagination Pavillion and idk this just seems like a mess of a park to me. I even think the new attractions might be great, but there is not a consistent theme whatsoever I feel with this park anymore where if anything Epcot was the ONE park with the most consistent theme in all their attractions. Ugh!!!

Cosmic with magic is not Epcot.

I think what Epcot 'is' has changed unfortunately. It's becoming a weird mish-mash of what it once was, and random IP that can't be squeezed into another park.
To paraphrase from the Simpsons: Epcot used to be ‘it’, but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now Epcot isn’t ‘it’ anymore and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

We all know Epcot isn't what it used to be and is changing so not to harp on that, but, what is the theme for Epcot now? I mean, seriously? Granted we have not seen the new attractions yet and how they tie into Epcot, if they do at all, but whats the theme of this theme park? Marvel lands mixed in with the real world mixed in with Imagination Pavillion and idk this just seems like a mess of a park to me. I even think the new attractions might be great, but there is not a consistent theme whatsoever I feel with this park anymore where if anything Epcot was the ONE park with the most consistent theme in all their attractions. Ugh!!!
Every park is turning into a variation of the Magic Kingdom under Chapek. DAK has sort of kept it's identity, but I think it's just a matter of time.

This is what I’m trying to articulate: if there’s no messaging about vision then we will compare it to the message we’ve had so far.

This is what I’m trying to articulate: if there’s no messaging about vision then we will compare it to the message we’ve had so far.

Exactly, and it couldn't be further away from it. Im still holding out to actually see/ride these attractions but I'm super timid about all of this stuff.

Disney really just needs to bite the bullet and announce an overall park vision. If it's drastically different than the original vision, yeah, some fans will be angry for a bit, but we can't say the writing hasn't been on the wall.

The biggest thing as you are pointing out is that they just need to communicate what the vision is and not try to play both sides. Just be real about it and people will eventually accept it (or maybe they won't, but at least they'd be being upfront about it)

Every park is turning into a variation of the Magic Kingdom under Chapek. DAK has sort of kept it's identity, but I think it's just a matter of time.

Off-topic, but I think blue cat people from a random sci-fi movie and Zooptopia (heard that's imminent) are so far from the original animals in realistic environments setting I think it's fair to say it's been Magic Kingdomized.

Off-topic, but I think blue cat people from a random sci-fi movie and Zooptopia (heard that's imminent) are so far from the original animals in realistic environments setting I think it's fair to say it's been Magic Kingdomized.
I think the aesthetic of Pandora fits DAK quite nicely so I give that a pass, but once zootopia happens it's over for me. That IP is a TERRIBLE fit for the park and I fear we'll get the Shanghai land.

But that's for another thread.

Seems to me that Epcot does have an identity separate from the other parks, though not one that theme park fans prefer. It's pretty obvious it's WDW's "Festival Park". That's kind of it's central theme now, and ride attractions are just a supporting cast that doesn't warrant an overall theme. Attractions are now there to complement the festivals and compliment attendance, instead of the other way around.

Seems to me that Epcot does have an identity separate from the other parks, though not one that theme park fans prefer. It's pretty obvious it's WDW's "Festival Park". That's kind of it's central theme now, and ride attractions are just a supporting cast that doesn't warrant an overall theme. Attractions are now there to complement the festivals and compliment attendance, instead of the other way around.
Future World is the main area that has an identity crisis. World Showcase is still pretty strong in this regard, although I fear that the Illuminations replacement is going to really screw that up.

Future World is the main area that has an identity crisis. World Showcase is still pretty strong in this regard, although I fear that the Illuminations replacement is going to really screw that up.
It doesn't seem that Future World, which in reality exists only in name, will be replaced with a similar overall theme. I believe it will just end up a potpourri of various IP's & rides with no real overarching theme, though Disney may throw in some name for it that's essentially meaningless. .

I'm just trying to conceive of how Disney can possibly tie together an area that might eventually have a show based around a magical sorcerer, as well as a coaster starring aliens... and also a calm boat ride through greenhouses and a dark ride through the history of human communication. These things do not seem to belong together.

The specifically highlighted Epcot for their Parks Panel, so i'm hoping they'll dive deep on Epcot stuff.

As much as I'm probably going to hate what he's going to be saying, part of me will likely be perversely amused to see Chapek acting like he's keeping the spirit of EPCOT Center alive.

I'm just trying to conceive of how Disney can possibly tie together an area that might eventually have a show based around a magical sorcerer, as well as a coaster starring aliens... and also a calm boat ride through greenhouses and a dark ride through the history of human communication. These things do not seem to belong together.

As much as I'm probably going to hate what he's going to be saying, part of me will likely be perversely amused to see Chapek acting like he's keeping the spirit of EPCOT Center alive.
They can't. Any name they come up with will just be a false facade, and be essentially meaningless, unless they call it "Potpourri World" ;):lol:

Not gonna lie, I'm looking forward to that D23 panel with morbid curiosity. Since if any of these crazy rumors are true, it's gonna be a hilarious and sad contrast as they'll still be hucking the "more timeless, staying true to the original vision of Epcot" fluff they've been using.

It'll be another chapter in Epcot's strange and tragic history.

I think the name "Future World" has to go. "Discoveryland" or something seems like it would work a lot better. For years now it would've been a more acceptable name, actually.
Literally the only thing that is holding on is the name. It makes no sense and clashes with Tomorrowland at this point