Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion News (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Essentially, if Universal gets the land, they could theoretically move a lot of the BTS aspects behind the park, and even without touching TM Parking; gaining 23-26 acres for land growth at USF.
A lot of the offices that are in close proximity to the parks can't be moved across the street though. They can be moved, but they can only be moved so far as front line TMs need them for every day work purposes. I think TM Parking would have to be cut into in one way or another.

I think some people confuse backstage with the soundstages. That is not backstage, nor will they ever take them down.
1) There's still huge tracks of area not taken up by soundstages that could be used.

2) The idea that they would *never* take a soundstage down is pretty well debunked by everything currently going on at USH.

3) They could move the soundstages further back and free up park space, keeping the soundstages

One of the soundstages has a digital animation school, The Dave School. That could be relocated, which frees up some area directly behind Lost Continent. After high school, I did a year at New York Film Academy in the backlot of Universal Studios ( yes, the naming is confusing) in Hollywood. At the time there were talks of the school moving to a new location to move sound stages that were located closer to the theme park. It seems like they ended up moving those sound stages in Hollywood. I think it is possible to move some of the sound stages. They could always build higher quality ones next door and rent them to production companies.

With how much more space there is in Orlando, I feel if they tear down a soundstage its for something bigger than what they could do in Hollywood. Whether its an attraction or not they simply have more space to work with and more attractions they can do.

Aside from HHN, what are the soundstages used for? I don't believe they do a lot of filming there, do they?
Most recently Deal or No Deal was filmed and David Makes Man (a OWN show and executive produced by Michael B. Jordan) is currently finishing post-production work there after doing some work in the soundstages.

La Voz Kids used to film there, TNA Impact shows up from time to time, Family Feud did a season here, etc. The soundstages are also used for many commercial shoots. A lot of the reason that the lot is so 'dry' for lack of a better word is because Florida doesn't offer any incentives to film in the state.

Here's a (outdated) list from the USF Production Group website of shoots that have happened there:
Television & Live Audience | Universal Studios Florida Production Group
Feature Productions | Universal Studios Florida Production Group

I imagine all Administration, HR (including new hire orientation and entertainment try-outs like for HHN), Finance, IT, Marketing, Creative, and a few other groups could be moved. That's a lot right there. They could also move their call center (which I believe they rent this space off site, correct me if I'm wrong).

They could also setup a bus line for team members, similar to that which they have for VB, which would allow them to use the land for TM parking, conferences/training sessions (such as for L&D events), possible office space for Entertainment, Tech (mechanics), Operations, and more.

By freeing up several buildings (like the HR building), these could then be taken by groups which need to remain onsite, such as operations and entertainment. Moving the flat TM parking (not the garages) would allow for construction of new office buildings onsite if necessary, or somehow use for ride buildings (though I feel like pushing that far back is unlikely).

Aside from HHN, what are the soundstages used for? I don't believe they do a lot of filming there, do they?
Weren't TNA Wrestling, Family Fued and Telemundo Voice filmed there?

I’m wondering how they would expand the parks given the Hogwarts Express bean kind of acts as a border to the parks at the moment. Like, how could they creativity hide the HE in potential new lands?

Look no further than Disneyland and their railway.

Pirates, Indiana Jones, Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain all expand beyond the railway.

DL RAILWAY.jpg

Some go under and some go over. Disneyland have the luxury of being able to go underground which Universal doesn't because of the high water level but luckily, the HE is elevated which still gives an option to go above or below.

I love creative thinking for problems like this, it leads to some of the best experiences.

The stretching room in the Haunted Mansion exists because they needed an excuse to get the guests underground and below the railway track. It was so well received that they added it to the one in Magic Kingdom which doesn't change level.

Bit of a tosser, really.

But he only posts info from solid sources. E.g. his favorite bar getting a Beauty & the Beast overlay. Unfortunately, sometimes solid sources think Freddy Krueger was the killer in Halloween, but for the most part I think he's been fairly accurate.

County-owned land south of the elementary school.

Yes, actually. Can't drive in the area without getting caught behind a dump truck.

To stress, everything other than demolition/relocation is pure speculation. UOR is the 800-pound gorilla in the neighborhood, so wouldn't surprise me they have a hand in this, but could be residential, could be other hotels ... could be this is a SuperFund site and nothing is going in there. I have no clue why this is being done, I just have every confidence they county is going forward with it.

Given that a total of one person has reported it on twitter, I'd argue the demolition/relocation is pure speculation as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.