Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion

Shudder released a list of stories they're adapting and none of them are the originals.

Well that’s… pretty surprising IMO. I guess The Creeper really is the only thing that’ll be remotely similar to the original. Hopefully they make it clear that it’s the show(if that’s what comes) since fans of the original would probably get pissed

Right now it seems extremely likely that the Shudder show will be represented but I think there’s enough evidence for the film coming as well. Murdy said a while back that he was writing a treatment for a maze which had a good chance of not coming to fruition so he already made a backup treatment. What if Nicotero approached Murdy to make a maze based on the show but he wanted to do the Stephen King movie instead? And I believe Murdy even mentioned that he made one of his best maze pitches ever this year, maybe it was the pitch that made King give him the green light for one of his IPs. This might sound like a total stretch but I don’t think it’s entirely impossible.

Doctor Sleep is being marketed as a sequel to Kubrick’s adaption of The Shining because it IS a sequel to Kubrick’s adaption, not necessarily just an adaption of the Doctor Sleep book.

Flanagan was able to convince King that if they were to do Doctor Sleep as a film, it would have to be connected to the story Kubrick told, otherwise it wouldn’t work with people. Apparently King liked his pitch and surprisingly gave him the okay to go ahead with it.

Doctor Sleep is being marketed as a sequel to Kubrick’s adaption of The Shining because it IS a sequel to Kubrick’s adaption, not necessarily just an adaption of the Doctor Sleep book.

Flanagan was able to convince King that if they were to do Doctor Sleep as a film, it would have to be connected to the story Kubrick told, otherwise it wouldn’t work with people. Apparently King liked his pitch and surprisingly gave him the okay to go ahead with it.

I know that. What I'm saying is that when the GA thinks The Shining, they think "hotel, creepy twins, Jack Nicholson." I have a hunch that when marketing starts pulling the curtains back and reveals "the main villains are vampires dying of measles living in a winnebago," people are gonna get whiplash and start asking how in the hell it all relates to the Shining, even if it shares some main characters.

EDIT:Also, psychic powers were a huge part of King's novel and Doctor Sleep the novel (there's alot of "exploring dreamscape" stuff a la Nightmare on Elm Street in the book, you can see some of that in the trailer), but they were tangential at best to Kubrick's movie. Again, just a tough needle to thread.

Right now it seems extremely likely that the Shudder show will be represented but I think there’s enough evidence for the film coming as well. Murdy said a while back that he was writing a treatment for a maze which had a good chance of not coming to fruition so he already made a backup treatment. What if Nicotero approached Murdy to make a maze based on the show but he wanted to do the Stephen King movie instead? And I believe Murdy even mentioned that he made one of his best maze pitches ever this year, maybe it was the pitch that made King give him the green light for one of his IPs. This might sound like a total stretch but I don’t think it’s entirely impossible.
I remember John saying that he met one of his idols for the first time this year, so could it be king? Did he have a relationship with him during the Shining maze season?

I remember John saying that he met one of his idols for the first time this year, so could it be king? Did he have a relationship with him during the Shining maze season?
Nope. King was actually very opposed to them bringing The Shining to the event. What’s speculated to have happened was a travel agency leaked early that The Shining was going to be coming to the event and it mentioned King’s Name (this first part actually happened. Next part is speculation) and apparently Universal went through Warner Brothers and the Kubrick estate, didn’t talk to King at all about it so when he caught wind of the travel agency using his name he tried to get the maze shut down. So I’d say they didn’t have a personal relationship, but I definitely don’t think Universal and King are on the best of terms