Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem (USF)

My qualm with the motion sickness logic is that 3D isn’t often the cause. Sure, it can give you a headache for going cross eyed so long lol. But motion sickness is almost by definition cause by jerky or mis-synced motion (Simpson’s) or things that move you around a LOT (FJ).

Minions has great, clear 3D that, in theory, shouldn’t be the issue. This just feels like a bandaid fix for a much larger problem (and it’s not even a very good bandaid?).

Maybe I’m missing the mark here?

My qualm with the motion sickness logic is that 3D isn’t often the cause. Sure, it can give you a headache for going cross eyed so long lol. But motion sickness is almost by definition cause by jerky or mis-synced motion (Simpson’s) or things that move you around a LOT (FJ).

From a telegraph article on 3D:
When watching something in 3D, our eyeballs rotate inwards, with accommodation as the goal. But if that happened, the viewer would be left focusing on a spot in front of the screen, rather than focusing on the screen itself. But this confuses the brain because the eyes have converged without accommodation. Instead, the eyes oscillate between their natural inclination and the artificial state demanded by the film. This can cause extreme eye strain, migraines and nausea.

Another article regarding 3D and nausea:
A more fundamental problem may be conflict between different senses. When we watch a film such as Avatar, our visual system may tell us that we are wheeling high in the skies of a distant moon, but other senses tell us that we are sitting motionless in a chair. Of course, 2D films present this kind of conflict as well, but our brains may simply be more used to accepting that 2D content is not “real”.

To be fair here, we are talking about a 3-4 minute film in a custom theater, not a 2 hour film at a cineplex.

I have no doubt that there were negative effects for some people, but I do have doubts that’s the impetus for this change.
Then what's the change about?

Then what's the change about?

Good question. If anyone here has knowledge beyond the official line “refining the guest experience” they have yet to share that knowledge in a convincing way.

If I go to guest services and complain that 3D rides make me sick, do they give me anything, like a handful of express passes or a refund?

Good question. If anyone here has knowledge beyond the official line “refining the guest experience” they have yet to share that knowledge in a convincing way.

If I go to guest services and complain that 3D rides make me sick, do they give me anything, like a handful of express passes or a refund?
It has been stated that 25 percent of guests were complaining about 3D...The number could be higher for Minions

If you go to guests services there is a high chance they will take your complaint seriously

It has been stated that 25 percent of guests were complaining about 3D...The number could be higher for Minions

If you go to guests services there is a high chance they will take your complaint seriously
Actually it was just a 3D survey, in general, not DM, of TPI readers. Guest Service complaints at Universal concerning 3D in general, or DM specifically, may well be an entirely different set of numbers, lower or higher.

I see reference to a survey on a web page that had 25% of respondents choosing “No more 3D ever.” Go back a few more pages and the prevailing theory after Hollywood was about kids not liking to wear glasses.

Shrek would have been an easier target if simply minimizing the 3D footprint was the goal, but those glasses have no other use on property.

Removing 3D from Hollywood's FJ resulted in a superior frame rate (and Gringotts mysteriously gains Quidditch goggles). T2 was falling apart. Japan Minions has an Omnimax screen less suited to 3D. There are elements of practicality to all these events.

The official line is refining the guest experience. It's true, even if posters on here think it's misguided.

Best way to affect this is to communicate to Universal through Guest Relations and written communication about your disappointment in the removal of 3D. As for what they give you I'm not sure.

The official line is refining the guest experience. It's true, even if posters on here think it's misguided.

Best way to affect this is to communicate to Universal through Guest Relations and written communication about your disappointment in the removal of 3D. As for what they give you I'm not sure.
This tells us NOTHING.

I see reference to a survey on a web page that had 25% of respondents choosing “No more 3D ever.” Go back a few more pages and the prevailing theory after Hollywood was about kids not liking to wear glasses.

Shrek would have been an easier target if simply minimizing the 3D footprint was the goal, but those glasses have no other use on property.

Removing 3D from Hollywood's FJ resulted in a superior frame rate (and Gringotts mysteriously gains Quidditch goggles). T2 was falling apart. Japan Minions has an Omnimax screen less suited to 3D. There are elements of practicality to all these events.
Shrek has high GSATs and is not a 3D simulator aimed at a younger audience though.

Again, it all makes perfect sense if you are Universal

Gringotts is a completely different ball game

Just curious, especially since we don't have access to Universal's internal GSAT's. But Touring Plans probably has the largest Universal Orlando guest survey results outside of Universal itself. So I checked it and DM is rated, among all the age groups, as one of the higher rated attractions in USF. And, their age group scores are higher than Shrek and ET. ...Of course that doesn't mean anything to Universal mgt. But It's something to add to the conversation, since those people didn't seem to have significant issues.

Some of us just don't believe their official line and unofficial leaked line. Sounds like somethings rotten in Denmark type BS for a very popular 7 year attraction. :lol:..........Mgt. meeting; Heh, guys, look how much money we can save if we don't have to buy and replace these very expensive 3d goggles. Plus we get to cut some handing out and cleaning staff too...and we can just give the gullible GP the old too many 3d and screens rides SPIN/story since that happens to be a popular rumor thing even though we're still paying big bucks to run the horrible F&F screen ride that almost nobody likes. No one will remember this is a 7 yr. old attraction that was popular with long lines always. We can blame it on the Japanese since they are fine with their 2d, and no one will realize that's because their screen is a zillion times larger than our tiny Orlando screen. People will still line up to ride it since we have like almost no kid rides in the park. So it's a win win situation..... And, do I get an extra bonus check for this great money saving idea?.....;)

Last edited: