Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN '19: House of 1000 Corpses

Q&A Info:
- The Maze's Major Differences compared to the last iteration is that it will have more focus to the tunnels that lead to Doctor Satan
- It's a bit different than before.
- Murdy said it's fun working with Rob and they thought about combining all 3 but the new film wasn't available to them in time to design it
- "Same as in movie scenes but different location so different layout and design" in response to "Will there be scenes from the 2011 maze?"
- Located in the Waterworld Queue
- "Not 3D so more gritty looking like the film" in response to "Will the maze be as colorful as the last iteration or will it be similar to the film this time?"
- The Score Music from the film will be in the maze.
- We will see the Murder Ride in the maze
- The Facade is Captain Spaulding's Museum
- You will meet Doctor Satan.
- "Maybe not characters but went Lizzie over Albert in the Murder Ride" in response to "Any new characters in this version that weren't in the 2010/2011 version?"
- There will be HOTC Merch
- "Tiny is in the maze and he ain’t tiny" and he's in a different scene than 2010/2011's maze.
- "Run rabbit run? Field of crosses, bonfire with freaky skull faced Otis? Yes"

Last edited:
I am glad that I will be able to do both Orlando & Hollywood's house/mazes to check out any difference. Plus Rob himself is working with Murdy on the maze. Hey A&D in Orlando fly Rob out, but bring his wife Sherri Moo Zombie out to see what we have here in Orlando, plus I Love his wife in his films. Can't wait!!

Makes sense that they initially planned to do a compilation of all three films, such a better idea that would honestly have me pretty excited. My question: Once they realized they couldn't get the new one ahead of time, why not pivot to a different idea? Or just do Devil's Rejects instead—or maybe combine elements so it's not just a re-do of the original? There's already so much repetition this year, something unique would have been extremely welcome, IMO.

Makes sense that they initially planned to do a compilation of all three films, such a better idea that would honestly have me pretty excited. My question: Once they realized they couldn't get the new one ahead of time, why not pivot to a different idea? Or just do Devil's Rejects instead—or maybe combine elements so it's not just a re-do of the original? There's already so much repetition this year, something unique would have been extremely welcome, IMO.

Bearing in mind that I have no inside info, possible factors for the repeat could've been might have been that Rob Zombie approached HHN again because of the new film, but rights and/or schedule of shooting prevented Murdy from getting a script/footage before the event started; Murdy approached Rob Zombie because of nostalgia and the new film; budget control, as those "tunnels" he's talking about bring to mind the tunnel sets used in TCM 2016 and AHS 2017; and etc.

As for why they don't do Devil's Rejects or 3 From Hell, both of those movies were released by Lionsgate, whereas the original movie was released by Universal. The legal team might just have not bothered to negotiate with Lionsgate when they realized that they could only get Devil's Rejects instead of both DR and 3FH.

You guys are overthinking this.

Orlando has never done House of 1000 Corpses. They wanted to do House of 1000 Corpses. Synergy says pay for one license and get two attractions.

Done.

I'm agreeing that this is probably exactly what happened. And Murdy is probably fine with it since he gets to work with Rob Zombie again.

You guys are overthinking this.

Orlando has never done House of 1000 Corpses. They wanted to do House of 1000 Corpses. Synergy says pay for one license and get two attractions.

Done.
Not overthinking. I already said Universal was phoning it in with this house. The scenario you present is like, the dictionary definition of phoning it in. And tbh, this just raises more questions. Orlando and Hollywood have a fair share of exclusive houses this year, why force them to share this one, of all things? It’s not like HofaTC is on the same level as Us or ST.

Not overthinking. I already said Universal was phoning it in with this house. The scenario you present is like, the dictionary definition of phoning it in. And tbh, this just raises more questions. Orlando and Hollywood have a fair share of exclusive houses this year, why force them to share this one, of all things? It’s not like HofaTC is on the same level as Us or ST.

Who says they were forced? Maybe Murdy just really liked the idea of working with Rob Zombie again (it's been 8 years, after all) and neither he 'nor Uni's legal team wanted to bother negotiating with Lionsgate for just Devil's Rejects.

Who says they were forced? Maybe Murdy just really liked the idea of working with Rob Zombie again (it's been 8 years, after all) and neither he 'nor Uni's legal team wanted to bother negotiating with Lionsgate for just Devil's Rejects.
Yeah that’s a fair thought. Idk, speculating this much is kinda pointless, and it’s not like I’m not legit looking for answers to my questions, just thinking out loud. Regardless, this just feels kinda hackneyed and lazy, overall.

Im super excited for this, especially since it deals with the more gritty aesthetic the movie had. Has potential to feel like classic HHN and I'm surprised for so much lack of excitement/ hate on this house.
I think some peoples hate has more to do with their hate for the movie, which shouldn't really matter since HoTC has already proven itself to have alot of maze potential.

tbh the façade for corpses back in 2010 and 2011 was toptier, im just confused on how they are going to replicate that huge skeleton mouth piece that's in the middle of the façade, considering the space they are working with

I don't think anyone's brought this up yet, but a fun little easter egg I noticed in this maze. In the very first room look up at the shelf above Captain Spaulding's scare and you'll see several masks from past mazes and scarezones, notably Imhotep from Universal Monsters, the Room 237 woman from The Shining, The Phantom from Universal Monsters, a few scarecrows from Hell O Ween and Hollywood Harry's Dreadtime Storiez, Krampus from Holidayz in Hell, and one other that I can't quite pinpoint.

I don't think anyone's brought this up yet, but a fun little easter egg I noticed in this maze. In the very first room look up at the shelf above Captain Spaulding's scare and you'll see several masks from past mazes and scarezones, notably Imhotep from Universal Monsters, the Room 237 woman from The Shining, The Phantom from Universal Monsters, a few scarecrows from Hell O Ween and Hollywood Harry's Dreadtime Storiez, Krampus from Holidayz in Hell, and one other that I can't quite pinpoint.
Yep
20191020_150711.jpg
Photo Credit: @dark_nightmare_attraction on Instagram (Btw the photo is from a BTS tour)