Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Joel - I think there's a misunderstanding.

I never said the concept of a nighttime hub is a rumor. The valid argument I am asking for is against this being an idea ("wish list"). Not anything based on rumors or what insiders have said in regards to what UOR is actually doing.

However, I will say, no insider has yet said "UOR considered a free nighttime hub for hotel guests or possibly everyone (for free), but they decided against it."

As far as the nighttime hub concept being a good idea, several people have said similar things throughout this thread:

Again, tons of valid arguments against full ticketless (and insiders discrediting it), but not a single one for why after-hours for hotel guests/general public would be a bad thing.

I will say this as well: if UOR had designed the hub with "free hub" in mind, opening it after-hours would be a substantial way of salvaging this concept.

Now... for the all day free hub, which I assume you believe I'm a supporter of (again, I believe this was just a misunderstanding):
I also called for for this rumor to be shut down if it's not accurate:

You are right, this is a wishlist thread - I totally disregarded the second part of this thread's name.

Carry on!

btw - I wish for the hub to be ticketed during park hours. After hours it would be cool to have the few rides/attractions to be open to the public though I don't know where the profit of keeping attractions open would come from.

Does anyone know who owns the theme park rights to Mattel IPs? Such as Barbie, Hot Wheels, Fisher Price, Thomas & Friends, Poly Pocket, etc. I'd love to see Universal snatch them up and spread them across the parks.

Does anyone know who owns the theme park rights to Mattel IPs? Such as Barbie, Hot Wheels, Fisher Price, Thomas & Friends, Poly Pocket, etc. I'd love to see Universal snatch them up and spread them across the parks.
They opened a Thomas & Friends Land in Kennywood last year. Kennywood is owned by owned by Parques Reundio. There's an even larger Thomas Land at another Eastern USA park.

Not to drag this conversation on about the universal classsic retro themed land but I just thought that bringing back old rides would create new memories for generations to come. Shark movies will always be popular, creature from the black lagoon water ride sounds silly. Back to the future would be a great IP to take over that Sci-Fi section. Again universal hasn’t officially come out and said that the classic rides won’t make a return but their are confirmed lands already and the permits are filed, we don’t know if the other 2 are coming officially.

One day if they remake Jaws, I would love to see a stand-alone Jaws ride added to USF. But an indoor next-level dark ride similar to Pirates Shanghai. Imagine the thrill of being in an "underwater" scene with a giant shark...

You are right, this is a wishlist thread - I totally disregarded the second part of this thread's name.

Carry on!
:cheers:
btw - I wish for the hub to be ticketed during park hours. After hours it would be cool to have the few rides/attractions to be open to the public though I don't know where the profit of keeping attractions open would come from.
Charge a per ride price for after-hours riders. People pay $20 for that silly balloon at Disney Springs, so I'm guessing they'd pay something similar to ride the coaster.

I don't think anyone is suggesting they allow free riders on hub attractions... it would devalue a full priced ticket.

If the hub isn’t tied down to one IP, I’d love to see Universal throw Laika a bone. Put up a Coraline dark ride on the way to Classic Monsters. Will it ever happen? Definitely not. But as others have said, it’s a wishlist thread.

Mario Kart Concept

I’ve been thinking about how a potential Mario Kart ride might work. I’m probably not alone in saying that I’m hoping the ride has some actual speed to it. Doesn’t have to be 60 mph, but something… maybe 15 mph?

Fast and Furious Supercharged is a perfect example of what not to do. The ride sits at 0 mph, while screens simulate movement. There are several patents which also suggest that Universal is going to use certain elements to enhance the ride to simulate moving quickly, but the result could just feel like another screen-based ride simulator.

On the other hand, there are real issues regarding rides that do have fast speeds, including large footprint required for long tracks, or short ride duration due to short tracks.

To overcome this problem, I came up with the following concept:
Mario - Track Concept.jpg

To summarize the concept (tl;dr):
  • This ride concept has decent ride speed, but has a small footprint and long ride duration.
  • This is managed by having the ride vehicles traveling in a circle.
  • Using a mix of practical effects and screens, the rooms change so it doesn’t feel like you’ve been in the same room multiple times.

Full concept:

You step onto the ride at the ENTRY point, into a two person Kart.

Your Kart quickly moves toward the START point, with you and your passenger pulling up beside recognizable Mario characters in their own Karts, including Bowser, Donkey Kong, Luigi, Mario himself, and many more. All of them grinning, talking trash…. you know they’re after the first place trophy just as much as you are.

At this point you only see Mario characters and no other guest riders (except for your passenger).

upload_2019-8-15_19-38-6.png

3 – 2 – 1 – GO!

Your Kart takes off, and starts you on “LAP 1” which is the Green lap on the concept below:

Mario - Track Concept.jpg

The entire ride takes place in a large show building (the same size as Gringotts, FJ, etc.). The building is sectioned off into “rooms” within that show building. Each room uses mechanical effects and screens to complete the overall atmosphere of each environment, to make it appear you are in that location. I’ve labeled the rooms from 1 to 4 below:

upload_2019-8-15_19-38-15.png

upload_2019-8-15_19-38-22.png

There would be numerous locations, which could include Bowser’s Castle, Rainbow Road, DK Jungle, desert, ice world, and more:

upload_2019-8-15_19-39-3.png
upload_2019-8-15_19-39-8.png
upload_2019-8-15_19-39-15.png
upload_2019-8-15_19-38-55.png

Now here’s where things get tricky, so follow along…

As mentioned, you start on the Lap 1, the Green track, in Room 1. For this example, we are going to say you started Room 1 in the Desert. After you start (going, let’s say, 15 mph), you immediately get paired up with other guests on their own Kart / ride vehicle (also going your speed), on their own section of the track: Lime, Aqua, Turquoise (blue), Indigo, and Pink:
(I'm only using these colors to code the tracks for this concept. You wouldn't actually see these colors on the ride.)

You travel along with the other racers, picking up items, tossing shells, dodging, boosting, drifting, all along moving at a good speed. Other guest riders race against you, in the Desert, moving into Room 2, 3, and then 4.

While you are in Room 4, the environment for Room 1 changes from Desert to DK Jungle. (Room 1 is empty when this happens.) This is done primarily with mechanical effects, rotating and swapping one prop for another. Entire walls could lower or raise, to be replaced by another completely different scene. Screens and AR can also assist in creating the illusion that the room has completely changed.

Once you reenter Room 1, you’re now in a whole new location. You’ve been dodging, spinning, and bouncing this whole time, you haven’t even noticed you’ve taken four left turns to make a circle, you are really convinced you have moved from the Desert into the DK Jungle. You’re also much more focused on Bowser, who keeps taunting you… he’s in first place!

Notice that the Green track now becomes Lime once it enters it’s second lap. You are now joined with a new racer on your right (Green, since you're now Lime), who is matching your speed. You are unaware that this racer is new, you just think that someone has caught up to you and is now racing on your right-hand side.

For the new racer, they start their Lap 1 in DK Jungle, which is your lap 2. They have no idea that you’re on Lap 2, they think you just started with them.

The racer who was on track Pink… where did they go? We have no idea… I think we’ve left them in the dust!

Around and around we go, exiting and entering new locations. We move from Lime (lap 2), to Aqua (lap 3), to Turquoise (lap 4), Indigo (lap 5), and finally to Pink (final lap, 6). Each of our laps was a different location. For us, we started in Desert (1), moved to DK Jungle (2), then to Ice (3), into Bowser’s Castle (4), moved into Rainbow Road (5), and finished underwater (6). Because the Rooms change props/scenery each time, we are convinced that we are in entirely new locations each lap around.

When we get to the Pink track, we veer off from the other drivers (FINISH), taking a shortcut to the finish line. With a boost of speed, we finally pass Bowser and Mario, and finish in first place! Note the FINISH section… only you and your passenger would experience this section.

upload_2019-8-15_19-40-8.png

The ride vehicle continues forward, through a tunnel (either under or above the other tracks, whatever makes more sense from an engineering perspective). You then enter the last room (FINALE/TROPHY) for you to be awarded your first-place trophy.

upload_2019-8-15_19-41-23.png

Think of this section like the ending to Forbidden Journey, where everyone welcomes you back.

You then come to the EXIT point and enter the gift shop.

The above is just the basic concept with the following in place:
  • Ride vehicles move at a moderate speed (think go-kart speeds)
  • You ride alongside other ride vehicles, each on a guided track
  • Each ride vehicle starts at a different time (e.g. you are on lap 1, person next to you is on lap 2). This is not communicated to the riders otherwise it would break the illusion.
  • Riders move through environments/locations.
  • The room environments change when no riders are in the room.
  • Riders reenter the same room multiple times, but never the same environment.
  • Each rider's experience will be different. (Your Lap 1 might have been Desert, someone else's Lap 1 is DK Jungle.)
  • All riders take first place. (Having the track splitting off solves the problem of "how do you have riders race against each other, but everyone takes first place?" You could technically have winners and losers, like MIB, but I'm guessing having everyone win would make for a more enjoyable guest experience.)

With the above in place, you could change anything else about this design:
  • Number of laps – It doesn’t have to be six, could be fewer or more.
  • Actual shape/layout of the track – For example, you could have all sorts of twists/turns on lap 1 that you don’t experience on lap 2, since each vehicle would be on its own track.
  • Number of rooms – I put down 4 rooms, but it could be more or fewer depending on design.
  • How many riders you actually see at a given time – the tracks could have dividers so only Lime and Green ever “race” against each other. Aqua and Turquoise have their own divider, they could be in the same room but only see each-other due to a divider between ride tracks
  • Total number of ride vehicles - in this example there's six racing against each other, but you could have six more behind that in the previous room, and another six behind that. The only requirement is that one room is empty to change scenes.
  • Ride speed - I said 15 mph, to be honest I have no idea what ride speed would need to be achieved to feel good but also maintain a small footprint. (It should be fast enough to feel somewhat thrilling but slow enough to be able to enjoy the sets while moving from room to room.)

Anywho... Let me know your thoughts! :)

(Note that I’m not a ride designer / engineer, so hopefully Universal comes up with something better than this. Also note that I do not take credit for the pictures other than the track layout.)

Last edited:
Mario Kart Concept

I’ve been thinking about how a potential Mario Kart ride might work. I’m probably not in saying that I’m hoping the ride has some actual speed to it. Doesn’t have to be 60 mph, but something… maybe 15 mph?

Fast and Furious Supercharged is a perfect example of what not to do. The ride sits at 0 mph, while screens simulate movement. There are several patents which also suggest that Universal is going to use certain elements to enhance the ride to simulate moving quickly, but the result could just feel like another screen-based ride simulator.

On the other hand, there are real issues regarding ‘ride speed’ which results in a large footprint for long tracks, or possibly a short ride duration (shorter track length = smaller footprint, but also shorter ride time).

clip_image001.jpg

View attachment 10558

• This ride concept has the element of traveling fast but has a small footprint.
  • Using effects, you change the rooms so it doesn’t feel like you’ve been in the same room multiple times.

Full concept:

Your Kart quickly moves toward the START point, with you and your passenger pulling up besides with recognizable Mario characters in their own Karts, including Bowser, Donkey Kong, Luigi, Mario himself, and many more. All of them grinning, talking trash…. you know they’re after the first place trophy just as much as you are.

Keep in mind, at this point you only see Mario characters and no other guest riders (except for your passenger).

View attachment 10559
clip_image003.jpg

3 – 2 – 1 – GO!

Your Kart takes off, and starts you on “LAP 1” which is the Green lap on the concept below:
View attachment 10558
clip_image001.jpg

The entire ride takes place in a large show building (the same size as Gringotts, FJ, etc.). The building is sectioned off into “rooms” within that show building (note the dividing white lines on concept above). Each room uses mechanical effects and screens to complete the overall atmosphere of each environment, to make it appear you are in that location. I’ve labeled the rooms from 1 to 4 below:

clip_image004.jpg

View attachment 10560

clip_image006.jpg

View attachment 10561

There would be numerous locations, which could include Bowser’s Castle, Rainbow Road, DK Jungle, desert, ice world, and more:

View attachment 10563

View attachment 10564

View attachment 10565

View attachment 10562
clip_image007.jpg

clip_image009.jpg

clip_image011.jpg

As mentioned, you start on the Lap 1, the Green track, in Room 1. For this example, we are going to say you started Room 1 in the Desert. After you start (going, let’s say, 15 mph), you immediately get paired up with other guests on their own Kart / ride vehicle (also going your speed), on their own section of the track: Lime, Aqua, Turquoise (blue), Indigo, and Pink:
View attachment 10566
clip_image004.jpg

You travel along with the other racers, picking up items, tossing shells, dodging, boosting, drifting, all along moving at a good speed. Other guest riders move with you, in the Desert, moving into Room 2, 3, and then 4.

While you are in Room 4, the environment for Room 1 changes from Desert to DK Jungle. (Room 1 is empty when this happens.) This is done primarily with mechanical effects, rotating and swapping one prop for another. Screens and AR can also assist in creating the illusion that the room has completely changed.

Once you reenter Room 1, you’re now in a whole new location. You’ve been dodging, spinning, and bouncing this whole time, you haven’t even noticed you’ve taken four lefts to make a circle, you are really convinced you have moved from the Desert into the DK Jungle. You’re also much more focused on Bowser, who keeps taunting you… he’s in first place!

Notice that the Green track now becomes Lime once it enters it’s second lap. You are now joined with a new racer on your right (Green, since you're now Lime), who is matching your speed. You are unaware that this racer is new, you just think that someone has caught up to you and is now racing on your right-hand side.

For the new racer, they start their Lap 1 in DK Jungle, which is your lap 2. They have no idea that you’re on Lap 2, they think you just started with them.

The racer who was on track Pink… where did they go? We have no idea… I think we’ve left them in the dust!

Around and around we go, exiting and entering new locations. We move from Lime (lap 2), to Aqua (lap 3), to Turquoise (lap 4), Indigo (lap 5), and finally to Pink (final lap, 6). Each of our laps was a different location. For us, we started in Desert (1), moved to DK Jungle (2), then to Ice (3), into Bowser’s Castle (4), moved into Rainbow Road (5), and finished underwater (6). Because the Rooms change props/scenery each time, we are convinced that we are in entirely new locations each lap around.

clip_image001.jpg

View attachment 10567

When we get to the Pink track, we veer off from the other drivers (FINISH), taking a shortcut to the finish line. With a boost of speed, we finally pass Bowser and Mario, and finish in first place! Note the FINISH section… only you and your passenger would experience this section.

clip_image015.jpg

View attachment 10568

The ride vehicle continues forward, through a tunnel (either under or above the other tracks, whatever makes more sense from an engineering perspective). You then enter the last room (FINALE/TROPHY) for you to be awarded your first-place trophy.

clip_image016.png

View attachment 10569

Think of this section like the ending to Forbidden Journey, where everyone welcomes you back.

After, you come to the EXIT point and enter the gift shop.

• Each ride vehicle started at a different time (e.g. you are on lap 1, person next to you is on lap 2). This is not communicated to the riders otherwise it would break the illusion.
  • All riders move through different environments.
  • The environments change (per room) when no one is in the room.
  • You reenter the same room multiple times, but never the same environment.
  • Your ride experience will be different than everyone else’s. (Your Lap 1 might have been Desert, someone else might have started in DK Jungle.)
  • All riders take first place.

• Actual shape/layout of the track – For example, you could have all sorts of twists/turns on lap 1 that you don’t experience on lap 2, since each vehicle would be on its own track.
  • Number of rooms – I put down 4 rooms, but it could be more or fewer depending on design.
  • How many players you actually see at a given time – the tracks could have dividers so only Lime and Green ever “race” against each other. Aqua and Turquoise have their own divider, they could be in the same room but only see each-other due to a divider between ride tracks
  • Ride speed - I said 15 mph, to be honest I have no idea what ride speed would need to be achieved to feel good but also maintain a small footprint.

(Note that I’m not a ride designer / engineer, so hopefully Universal comes up with something better than this.)
Universal, hire him now! you have a ride already for Mario Kart, so what use this concept for something else!

Uncharted/Tomb Raider could be awesome actually! I especially think that Tomb Raider is big enough in the sense that most people have heard of it and kinda have a sense of what it's about. Probably not a big enough IP to anchor a land but could be thrown into a fantasy/ruined city/lost cave type area (if such an IP exists lol) no problem.

Also hearing rumours for years about movies for Uncharted and The Last Of Us. Honestly those movies could both be HUGE if done right and they both have theme park potential.
I also forgot to mention the myth of Polybius. Would make an interesting multi-sensory attraction :)

I would love a world of Hanna-Barbera, including areas for the Jetsons, Flintstones (Bedrock), Smurf village, and Scooby-Doo related stuff.
I think Smurfs rights are owned by Peyo's family or smthing. I think BD is not popular enough in USA but a "BD Land" with Smurfs, Asterix, Tintin and Marsupilami could work. (Asterix has his park in Paris of course)

I think Smurfs rights are owned by Peyo's family or smthing. I think BD is not popular enough in USA but a "BD Land" with Smurfs, Asterix, Tintin and Marsupilami could work. (Asterix has his park in Paris of course)

I don't know how well most of those would do in Florida. Tintin, for example, is not as well known here in the States.

RFRees, genius concept. Sorry that I did not quote but I didn't want to flood the board with so much of the same text.

I've been wondering how they would go about this, to make each ride-through unique but still have a satisfying ending. THIS would definitely work!

Mario Kart Concept

I’ve been thinking about how a potential Mario Kart ride might work. I’m probably not alone in saying that I’m hoping the ride has some actual speed to it. Doesn’t have to be 60 mph, but something… maybe 15 mph?

On the other hand, there are real issues regarding rides that do have fast speeds, including large footprint required for long tracks, or short ride duration due to short tracks.

View attachment 10558

• This ride concept has decent ride speed, but has a small footprint and long ride duration.
  • Using a mix of practical effects and screens, the rooms change so it doesn’t feel like you’ve been in the same room multiple times.

Full concept:

Your Kart quickly moves toward the START point, with you and your passenger pulling up beside recognizable Mario characters in their own Karts, including Bowser, Donkey Kong, Luigi, Mario himself, and many more. All of them grinning, talking trash…. you know they’re after the first place trophy just as much as you are.

At this point you only see Mario characters and no other guest riders (except for your passenger).

View attachment 10559

3 – 2 – 1 – GO!

View attachment 10558

The entire ride takes place in a large show building (the same size as Gringotts, FJ, etc.). The building is sectioned off into “rooms” within that show building. Each room uses mechanical effects and screens to complete the overall atmosphere of each environment, to make it appear you are in that location. I’ve labeled the rooms from 1 to 4 below:

View attachment 10560

View attachment 10561

View attachment 10563
View attachment 10564
View attachment 10565
View attachment 10562

View attachment 10560
(I'm only using these colors to code the tracks for this concept. You wouldn't actually see these colors on the ride.)

You travel along with the other racers, picking up items, tossing shells, dodging, boosting, drifting, all along moving at a good speed. Other guest riders race against you, in the Desert, moving into Room 2, 3, and then 4.

While you are in Room 4, the environment for Room 1 changes from Desert to DK Jungle. (Room 1 is empty when this happens.) This is done primarily with mechanical effects, rotating and swapping one prop for another. Entire walls could lower or raise, to be replaced by another completely different scene. Screens and AR can also assist in creating the illusion that the room has completely changed.

Once you reenter Room 1, you’re now in a whole new location. You’ve been dodging, spinning, and bouncing this whole time, you haven’t even noticed you’ve taken four left turns to make a circle, you are really convinced you have moved from the Desert into the DK Jungle. You’re also much more focused on Bowser, who keeps taunting you… he’s in first place!

View attachment 10560

View attachment 10568

View attachment 10569

You then come to the EXIT point and enter the gift shop.

• Each ride vehicle starts at a different time (e.g. you are on lap 1, person next to you is on lap 2). This is not communicated to the riders otherwise it would break the illusion.
  • Riders move through environments/locations.
  • The room environments change when no riders are in the room.
  • Riders reenter the same room multiple times, but never the same environment.
  • Each rider's experience will be different. (Your Lap 1 might have been Desert, someone else's Lap 1 is DK Jungle.)
  • All riders take first place. (Having the track splitting off solves the problem of "how do you have riders race against each other, but everyone takes first place?" You could technically have winners and losers, like MIB, but I'm guessing having everyone win would make for a more enjoyable guest experience.)

• How many players you actually see at a given time – the tracks could have dividers so only Lime and Green ever “race” against each other. Aqua and Turquoise have their own divider, they could be in the same room but only see each-other due to a divider between ride tracks
  • Ride speed - I said 15 mph, to be honest I have no idea what ride speed would need to be achieved to feel good but also maintain a small footprint. (It should be fast enough to feel somewhat thrilling but slow enough to be able to enjoy the sets while moving from room to room.)

(Note that I’m not a ride designer / engineer, so hopefully Universal comes up with something better than this. Also note that I do not take credit for the pictures other than the track layout.)

How would you get from the final lap in the innermost circle back to the unload area? Bridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.