Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney+

If consumers reward this behavior, which they will, this will cause even more segmentation of content and cost everyone more money in the long run. In 5 years everyone will be paying $60-$100 a month between a number of streaming platforms, none of which will be seamlessly integrated together and we'll be worse off then when we all had cable. Greedy capitalism at it's finest.

This isn't about a new option for a streaming service, this is about taking all of their content, and not letting any other services have access to it. Which will inspire other companies to do the same.

If consumers reward this behavior, which they will, this will cause even more segmentation of content and cost everyone more money in the long run. In 5 years everyone will be paying $60-$100 a month between a number of streaming platforms, none of which will be seamlessly integrated together and we'll be worse off then when we all had cable. Greedy capitalism at it's finest.

This isn't about a new option for a streaming service, this is about taking all of their content, and not letting any other services have access to it. Which will inspire other companies to do the same.
I disagree. I only pay for each service at the time I want its content. I get far more value for dollar out of the services I subscribe be to than I ever did with cable. Anyone who's too lazy to pay attention to what they're subscribing to, and cancelling when they don't need it, I have little sympathy for.

I disagree. I only pay for each service at the time I want its content. I get far more value for dollar out of the services I subscribe be to than I ever did with cable. Anyone who's too lazy to pay attention to what they're subscribing to, and cancelling when they don't need it, I have little sympathy for.
That sounds like a hassle. Keeps signing up and canceling and signing up again. That's ridiculous. Mark my words. This move will cost everyone a lot more money in the long run.

That sounds like a hassle. Keeps signing up and canceling and signing up again. That's ridiculous. Mark my words. This move will cost everyone a lot more money in the long run.
Easy, cheap, or complete: you only get to pick two. I repeat: if you can't keep track of what you pay for, you get what you deserve.

I get to choose which services I want right now instead of being forced certain things upon me that I don't want. I set $40/month as a all i'm willing to spend on services. So sometimes I sit out on a service for a few months bc I have no interest in any of the shows currently being released (Netflix is a big offender there) or i'll upgrade my membership when i'm actively using a service (Hulu, for example) and when I only occasionally use it i'll downgrade to ad-supported $5.99. The Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ deal sounds like it could be a big winner for me. HBO is the only other service I deem worth getting monthly as they have so much great content.

With this new model, I can control my own costs. With Cable, they set the price for stuff I mostly don't watch. Streaming is the way to go (plus with Hulu, you can catch many broadcast TV shows after they air).

Man, Marvel's What If sounds crazy and I love it.

EDIT:

And to bring up..all of this is Phase 4.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
It seems Dis/Uni made a deal then for them to use She-Hulk which was also a no no character for individual activity

When She-Hulk was rumored, I thought it was also rumored of Mark Ruffalo's Hulk having a large role in the series.

Perhaps they may of found a legal clause that allowed She-Hulk, as long as Hulk is also a major tenant of the show itself? My only other thought, is if it might be a situation to how Universal has not made anything new with Hulk in the past decade in film; and it may now be okay for Disney to develop content for the Hulk characters (albeit similar to how Disney and Marvel got back the rights for Blade, Daredevil, and various other characters).

_

To speak of The Mandalorian..it has convinced me to make that purchase of Disney+. It feels so good, and it's almost as if their own take on the old spaghetti western films of the past.

The tv show trailers minus that awful high school musical one look good but boy the movies had me straight cringing and I see why they got pulled from theatrical release

The new model at least much simplifies things in that since these companies are going to own all of their content and thus can make up for cheaper prices by being able to sell worldwide and cut out the cable middleman. I don't even know how much cable cares as they have a huge cost to service and install cable feeds/boxes and internet capacity is increasingly cheap. They are going to try to do cable apps where they can sell you a package on whatever streaming sticks you have and cap you if you don't use their service I imagine though. Being able to switch services on a dime is at least real competition otherwise.

The thing is that Disney makes at least $7 per cable subscriber on ESPN alone and has a lot of sports rights locked up at high prices that assumed people WOULD NOT cut the cord. Dips in cable subs single handedly spooked investors. Disney might cannibalize a much greater number of cord cutters with this bundle and will probably be taking a loss at the new price. They need this to scale up fast so they can raise the price big.

They also teased more Muppets content, presumably the Josh Gad produced show; but they mentioned that more Muppets projects will be unveiled in 2020 itself.

EDIT: Obi-Wan is official. Shooting in 2020.

This show looks great and it also looks like Disney poured a ton of money into it. Like, theatrical-level budget.

This show looks great and it also looks like Disney poured a ton of money into it. Like, theatrical-level budget.

It's especially telling, considering they already got Season 2 greenlit for just the first season; and even then, everyone's wowed by what Jon and his team have been able to push.

If this, is the future of Star Wars in some ways..I am all for it. It feels unique and something that truly stands out in the best sense, as I love the tone and direction placed with it. The best comparison I give in my vibes, is that this reminds me of the Dollars trilogy, mixed in with Star Wars feeling Sci-Fi and grit.

Makes me very excited about the Cassian Andor show too in some regards.