Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

She-Hulk: Attorney At Law

May 14, 2014
Seoul, Korea

It seems Dis/Uni made a deal then for them to use She-Hulk which was also a no no character for individual activity

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems Dis/Uni made a deal then for them to use She-Hulk which was also a no no character for individual activity

When She-Hulk was rumored, I thought it was also rumored of Mark Ruffalo's Hulk having a large role in the series.

Perhaps they may of found a legal clause that allowed She-Hulk, as long as Hulk is also a major tenant of the show itself? My only other thought, is if it might be a situation to how Universal has not made anything new with Hulk in the past decade in film; and it may now be okay for Disney to develop content for the Hulk characters (albeit similar to how Disney and Marvel got back the rights for Blade, Daredevil, and various other characters).

_

To speak of The Mandalorian..it has convinced me to make that purchase of Disney+. It feels so good, and it's almost as if their own take on the old spaghetti western films of the past.
I was pretty sure Universal's deal for Hulk only included movies. She-Hulk is not a movie.

I was pretty sure Universal's deal for Hulk only included movies. She-Hulk is not a movie.
It's not clear, but I believe that Universal actually did control the TV rights alongside the movie rights originally (for Hulk/She-Hulk/etc.). Just like Fox/Sony control the TV rights as well as movie rights to their Marvel characters.

Marvel really had no power to decline those types of terms when all these deals were made. The only thing Marvel kept I believe was the animated TV rights to all those characters.

But when Universal declined to make further Marvel movies, they only kept the first look distribution rights for movies where those characters are the main characters; all the TV rights reverted back to Marvel. That's why a She-Hulk TV series is possible but not a movie.

Last edited:

Great pick

YES! OH GOD YES!

So is She-Hulk going to be a CGI/performance capture creation? I'd think that would be prohibitively expensive for a character that will have a ton of screentime on a TV show (and that needs to be photorealistic), but Maslany's also on the shorter side, so I don't know how much they can "cheat" her to look taller.

She's a great fit for Jennifer Walters, certainly.

So is She-Hulk going to be a CGI/performance capture creation? I'd think that would be prohibitively expensive for a character that will have a ton of screentime on a TV show (and that needs to be photorealistic), but Maslany's also on the shorter side, so I don't know how much they can "cheat" her to look taller.

She's a great fit for Jennifer Walters, certainly.
The budget for WandaVision was $150M so i'd expect high quality CGI.

Maybe they'll find a way to leverage real-time graphics in the same way as they did for the Mandalorian. The volume only seems to work with cheating the perspective of static or distant scenery, so maybe they can update it to deal with real-time characters.

Or maybe it won't be a problem because unlike an Avengers movie they'll have the time and budget to focus on just one CGI character rather than, like, a billion.

I'm not sure that would be enough for a fully-digital main character with (presumably) a ton of screentime, but we'll see!

I'm not sure that would be enough for a fully-digital main character with (presumably) a ton of screentime, but we'll see!
I hope the show is more courtroom dramedy with some action thrown in. Basically the MCU’s “My Cousin Vinny.”

I also think they have the perfect vehicle to introduce her in the third Spider-Man as Peter’s lawyer against the murder charges.

I think for the most part, we won’t be seeing her Hulked out.

I hope the show is more courtroom dramedy with some action thrown in. Basically the MCU’s “My Cousin Vinny.”

I also think they have the perfect vehicle to introduce her in the third Spider-Man as Peter’s lawyer against the murder charges.

I would love if the show was literally episodic, with Jennifer having to defend a parade of weirdo (slightly larger-than-life/tied into Marvel lore/goofy) clients each week.

And absolutely, if Peter Parker needs representation in the next SPIDER-MAN movie, it should totally be Jennifer Walters. Or Matt Murdock (but I'm not sure Feige knows how to proceed with Daredevil after the Netflix shows).

I think for the most part, we won’t be seeing her Hulked out.

They might run the risk of people complaining about there not being enough She-Hulk if they go that way, though.

I would love if the show was literally episodic, with Jennifer having to defend a parade of weirdo (slightly larger-than-life/tied into Marvel lore/goofy) clients each week.

And absolutely, if Peter Parker needs representation in the next SPIDER-MAN movie, it should totally be Jennifer Walters. Or Matt Murdock (but I'm not sure Feige knows how to proceed with Daredevil after the Netflix shows).
I think it’s a simple situation where Peter chats with Happy, Bruce overhears, and explains he knows someone who can help.

Peter gets off and (either in the movie or the first episode of the show, but preferably the movie), Jessica is attacked because of it. Peter pleads with Bruce to help her, Bruce gives her the blood transfusion and She-Hulk is born.

I think it’s a simple situation where Peter chats with Happy, Bruce overhears, and explains he knows someone who can help.

Peter gets off and (either in the movie or the first episode of the show, but preferably the movie), Jessica is attacked because of it. Peter pleads with Bruce to help her, Bruce gives her the blood transfusion and She-Hulk is born.
The idea is that they are introduced in their own shows before being brought into the movies, so I think Spider-Man 3 is too early for her to be brought into the movies.

The shows will set up natural ways for them to continue on into the movies from what I understand.

Hmm. Either this was just never true, or she’s covering up for the fact that Marvel decided against casting her. It’s too bad bc I feel like she would’ve been perfect.

BOO!

Hmm. Either this was just never true, or she’s covering up for the fact that Marvel decided against casting her. It’s too bad bc I feel like she would’ve been perfect.

nah because the show runner and others congratulated her.

Ruffalo wasn’t the only person involved with the show to tweet out his support for Maslany. She-Hulk showrunner Jessica Gao, writer Dana Schwartz, and director/executive producer Kat Coiro also shared their excitement on social media.

My read: she’s just super anxious of the “Marvel Snipers”. I’ve never seen a trade announcement for something MCU backfire like that.

And there’s no way they would change their mind after announcing it... right?

There's rumors Krysten Ritter's Jessica Jones might be in She-Hulk.

There's rumors Krysten Ritter's Jessica Jones might be in She-Hulk.

I hope not....she was a great Jessica....not sure she is what I think of when I think of She Hulk. Rather see them just have her as Jessia again, she fit that role so well. Really only Iron Fist needed to be recast from the defenders

I hope not....she was a great Jessica....not sure she is what I think of when I think of She Hulk. Rather see them just have her as Jessia again, she fit that role so well. Really only Iron Fist needed to be recast from the defenders

Did you read what I wrote or the article at all? She WOULD be playing Jessica Jones.

Did you read what I wrote or the article at all? She WOULD be playing Jessica Jones.
lol

My bad...great choice for Jessica..lol

I guess I feel the discussion should be more what IPs are chosen rather than can it work because to me Islands of Adventure shows it already does.
Well, we've been having this conversation for what, 2-3 years :lol:

But yes, that's probably the more appropriate thing to focus in on because this is the park we're getting. IOA got lucky and almost all of their IPs are still fairly relevant (aside from the Toon Lagoon stuff) and then Potter was an addition/replacement.

I think HTTYD is probably not as big of a worry to me because it's a kids land/IP and it's got a dragon, so cool, right? If Toon Lagoon can survive 20+ years, HTTYD will be fine.

My bigger worry is with Fantastic Beasts. They are clearly adding this purely to sell Potter merchandise only, but unless this ride is next level amazing, who out there actually cares about the Fantastic Beasts franchise?

I agree, like why base a whole land on MARVEL characters? No one likes them and DC is the most popular!

Oh wait sorry we're not talking about the popular Islands of Adventure we're talking about Epic Universe, nevermind. /s

Sarcasm aside, maybe we shouldn't be determining which attractions we like based on third hand reporting and already burning this park four years before open?
I actually haven't even watched the video or anything, just giving my opinion on *modern* IP lands (I actually count MSHI as more of a traditional land with just superhero theming - a land i'd like to see more of.)

I appear to have completely missed the news that Tim Roth is coming back!

If this show is able to double as both a legal dramedy AND a showcase for the Hulk's (deep and basically under-used) rogues gallery of villains and side characters, I'll be very pleased.

I appear to have completely missed the news that Tim Roth is coming back!

If this show is able to double as both a legal dramedy AND a showcase for the Hulk's (deep and basically under-used) rogues gallery of villains and side characters, I'll be very pleased.
That snuck past me as well. This series seems like a clever legal loophole for Ruffalo to finally get a “movie” (while telling Walters/She-Hulk’s origin) and a way to continue parts from TIH, which is sort of like the red-headed stepchild of the MCU.

I wonder if they'll be going with that character's backstory in the comics, where...
... she became superpowered via a deal with Doctor Doom.

Whatever the case, it's an interesting deep(ish) cut.

But what I really want is for Tim Blake Nelson to come back as the Leader.

So, Hulk rumors related to this show and going forward are interesting…
Supposedly Hulk ends up off-Earth at the end of She-Hulk, which is supposedly to - surprisingly enough - set up a World War Hulk movie, Distributed by Marvel Studios, NOT Universal, which means the rights would have reverted, probably around the same time that they did for Namor.

I've heard that rumor (i.e. what the end of SHE-HULK might be setting up), but I disregarded it precisely because I don't believe the rights have completely reverted back to Marvel.

I also don't think
World War Hulk
is a particularly good or interesting story, nor do I think it could make sense with Bruce's current characterization. Might be a situation where they're just stealing the title, not the plot (like they did with AGE OF ULTRON)... if there's actually any substance to the rumor.

I've heard that rumor (i.e. what the end of SHE-HULK might be setting up), but I disregarded it precisely because I don't believe the rights have completely reverted back to Marvel.

I also don't think
World War Hulk
is a particularly good or interesting story, nor do I think it could make sense with Bruce's current characterization. Might be a situation where they're just stealing the title, not the plot (like they did with AGE OF ULTRON)... if there's actually any substance to the rumor.
The person it’s coming from has been spot on reliable on many things, down to reporting well in advance that Murdock would catch the brick and Aunt May would die. so that’s why I pass it along. It’s not just some random person speculating something they want to see.

I hope its good

Tim Roth looking like he's have fun with it (for the second we see of him) and will be interesting to see who the series will end on her having to represent

The tone looks like a pretty solid update of what was established for the character during the fan-favorite John Byrne run on the comic (minus the fourth-wall-breaking, though even that's been rumored to be part of this show).

BUT... that CGI isn't great. And given that a lot of CGI on the MCU Disney+ shows so far has been dodgy (and not-infrequently outright terrible), that's concerning.