Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

D23 Expo 2019 - News & Speculation

I think part of the issue is 2017 set the bar so high... but at the same time, we got almost no new information at all. So the contrast between D23 2017 and 2019 is striking. '17 was easily their best and had the most punch. i'd say this one was probably their worst as it was mostly just filling in information for stuff we already knew or was public already.

I think part of the issue is 2017 set the bar so high... but at the same time, we got almost no new information at all. So the contrast between D23 2017 and 2019 is striking. '17 was easily their best and had the most punch. i'd say this one was probably their worst as it was mostly just filling in information for stuff we already knew or was public already.
It was pretty obvious that they had nothing to announce. They're just building what they already announced 2 years ago. Nothing else to see here, unfortunately.

Yup and they’re still delivering on 2017 promises. D23 2021 will be not long after Guardians and Tron have opened.

It's just strange with this being their last D23 to really hype up the 50th. I expected a bit more on that front. They also probably shouldn't have blown their load Friday Night with some of the releases they did for Epcot and others.

It was pretty obvious that they had nothing to announce. They're just building what they already announced 2 years ago. Nothing else to see here, unfortunately.
In their defense (slightly), they blew their load through 2021 in '17. So they don't need to do a lot right now as they already have stuff going on that will last for awhile.

However, I did expect, at bare minimum, for them to announce the black box ride and they didn't even do that. At least we got Poppins, but we really have no clue what it is. It could be an Enchanted Tales deal for all we know.

Talking with Zach from Boardwalk Times, and it really is strange how they didn't split up this into two separate panels. I really hope, they take a page from SWC and decide to go forward, stretch the convention out so they don't bundle things up together, much like what we've seen this past weekend.

Not everyone is going to want to invest into the parks and resorts, and not everyone is going to want to invest in the merch. Combining both is not a good way of thinking, and it only bogs down the message altogether.

And what they've announced that is new, is small and/or is too vague to go off of. The only exception is really with Epcots 4 districts more properly detailed in the plan.

It's just strange with this being their last D23 to really hype up the 50th. I expected a bit more on that front. They also probably shouldn't have blown their load Friday Night with some of the releases they did for Epcot and others.
Definitely agreed on that. This presentation was filled with stuff that wouldn't have felt so redundant had they not shown it off all weekend. Avengers Campus would've been a true reveal as well had they held it.

Talking with Zach from Boardwalk Times, and it really is strange how they didn't split up this into two separate panels. I really hope, they take a page from SWC and decide to go forward, stretch the convention out so they don't bundle things up together, much like what we've seen this past weekend.

Not everyone is going to want to invest into the theme parks, and not everyone is going to want to invest in the merch. Combining both is not a good way of thinking, and it only bogs down the message altogether.

And what they've announced that is new, is small and/or is too vague to go off of. The only exception is really with Epcots 4 districts more properly detailed in the plan.
Except Chapek doesn't run the "Parks and Resorts" division anymore. He runs "Disney Parks, Experiences and Products". They combined everything together in the business sector, they aren't going to split it up for the panel.

I wonder if the lukewarm opening of Disneyland GESWL moved some projects from being planned concepts , back to tentative status.

I also have to wonder if part of it, more specifically Brazil, is held off because of the outer world. More specifically, they held it off to not give a bad look, while the rain-forest fires in south america are going down. But even then, they could've made a joint-announcement that alongside the pavilion, TWDC was donating a specified amount of money towards relief against the fires, to put them out much faster than what's happening now.

It's possible - but then why tease it earlier?

You had a tease for Coco in Mexico and Imagination with the model, and 2 "Epcot" posters TBA Sunday and only 1 of them was revealed (Poppins).

To bring up, the second poster was of one of the 4 districts for Epcot.

It's possible - but then why tease it earlier?

You had a tease for Coco in Mexico and Imagination with the model, and 2 "Epcot" posters TBA Sunday and only 1 of them was revealed (Poppins).
I'm thinking it's likely that Brazil was the second one and it got pulled from being announced last minute. Possibly bc of the leak?

To bring up, the second poster was of one of the 4 districts for Epcot.
Wait.... are you serious?

I'm thinking it's likely that Brazil was the second one and it got pulled from being announced last minute. Possibly bc of the leak?

Probably the fires if I had to guess. Would seem in poor taste in this climate.

"COME EXPERIENCE THE BEAUTY OF BRAZIL AT EPCOT.... while it's currently on fire in the real world...."

Probably the fires if I had to guess. Would seem in poor taste in this climate.

"COME EXPERIENCE THE BEAUTY OF BRAZIL AT EPCOT.... while it's currently on fire in the real world...."
I still think they could've spun it to actually acknowledge that the fires are ongoing and they want to help bring awareness, blah, blah. The problem is Chapek is a robot and his programming likely doesn't allow for actual human empathy.

But I agree, all in all, not the best time to be announcing it.

There was so many little announcements Friday that it took away from the panel on Sunday.

Avengers Campus, Star Wars Hotel, some basic Epcot revival stuff.

Both Avengers Campus and Star Wars Hotel could’ve been the highlights of the panel, but they came across as summaries of what the convention floor already showed

I feel like at this point, if they insist on having the Parks & Resort and new info around them featured on the show floor and spoiling almost everything, perhaps they should consider moving the Parks & Resort panel to the beginning of D23, not near the tail end... but I'm just a rando on the internet, what do I know? :shrug:

I feel like at this point, if they insist on having the Parks & Resort and new info around them featured on the show floor and spoiling almost everything, perhaps they should consider moving the Parks & Resort panel to the beginning of D23, not near the tail end... but I'm just a rando on the internet, what do I know? :shrug:
I mean, it wouldn't have been spoiling most of it if they came in with ANY actual announcements. They just filled us in on stuff for the majority of the panel.

Told y’all Coco in the Mexico poster and model meant nothing. The puppet already dances around in the pavilion. That was probably good enough for them to include it. :shrug:
I don't even think they took that into consideration. The artist putting that together probably looked at Mexico and thought, Disney has Coco, why don't we add a little touch to represent the IP.