Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios) | Page 275 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Plenty of crow to go around, as they sure didn't stick around long.

And they only had to tear down half the park, and spend a couple billon dollars.
If lines are too long (Hagrid) people complain. If the lines aren't long enough (when did that become a thing?) then people also complain. There's little winning with these big openings.

Hagrid is certainly the better ride than SR, but the fact that I was able to go on a brand new ride 11 times yesterday is great ops. And it's not like I just rode the ride continually and nothing else because I spent plenty of time doing, seeing, eating and drinking everything. I'm pretty sure I went on SR more yesterday than i'm been able to get on Flight of Passage in it's 2+ years of operation combined. That's a direct Disney to Disney comp. FoP struggles from terrible throughput and so far (without the addition of FP+), it seems SR does not.

When did it become a bad thing for a ride to have good capacity?

If lines are too long (Hagrid) people complain. If the lines aren't long enough (when did that become a thing?) then people also complain. There's little winning with these big openings.

Hagrid is certainly the better ride than SR, but the fact that I was able to go on a brand new ride 11 times yesterday is great ops. And it's not like I just rode the ride continually and nothing else because I spent plenty of time doing, seeing, eating and drinking everything. I'm pretty sure I went on SR more yesterday than i'm been able to get on Flight of Passage in it's 2+ years of operation combined. That's a direct Disney to Disney comp. FoP struggles from terrible throughput and so far (without the addition of FP+), it seems SR does not.

Never, in my opinion. The best rides that Disney opened seemed to have the highest capacities (not counting Peter Pan, which is not very good). It will be interesting to see how RotR also runs since it is supposed to have even higher capacity. The Navi River ride has terrible capacity (similar to Pan) and FP+ which makes standby even worse. Kind of a double hit.

One nice positive. The rides outside of GESWL didn't get swamped, like many thought they would. Touring Plans predicted a Level 9 crowd (disclaimer: crowd levels reflect the feel of the park and 'observed', not inflated posted, attraction stand by line times and are not necessarily indicative of attendance), but the 'observed' crowd levels turned out to be a Level 1, the lowest crowd level. So, initially it appears that GESWL has enough capacity to spread the crowds around the park better than in the past. It will be interesting to see if the public continues to spend a decent amount of time in GESWL , allowing the park crowds to flow better.

One nice positive. The rides outside of GESWL didn't get swamped, like many thought they would. Touring Plans predicted a Level 9 crowd (disclaimer: crowd levels reflect the feel of the park and 'observed', not inflated posted, attraction stand by line times and are not necessarily indicative of attendance), but the 'observed' crowd levels turned out to be a Level 1, the lowest crowd level. So, initially it appears that GESWL has enough capacity to spread the crowds around the park better than in the past. It will be interesting to see if the public continues to spend a decent amount of time in GESWL , allowing the park crowds to flow better.
The other thing to note is that Galaxy's Edge is a beast of a land. Like, it's Huge. It feels like it just keeps going and going a lot of the time and once you get far enough in, there isn't an exit all that close so you're likely to stay in the land for a good while.

It's an interesting conundrum Disney put themselves in. They want huge crowds and the optics of an hours long line just to get into the land. Those visuals sell, and make people who aren't there feel like they're missing something special. Whether the lines for Hogsmeade and Diagon were the result of popularity or bad ops is irrelevant. The visuals linger.

The high capacity of both rides is arguably in anticipation of needing it, especially when they're current MO hasn't made it a priority.

Now, though, Disney has a challenge to resolve. The crowds didn't show the way they expected on either coast - that's an objective observation. As a result, the high capacity ride is soaking up the low crowds to such an extent it's ruined the optics of the opening.

Last edited:
It's an interesting conundrum Disney put themselves in. They want huge crowds and the optics of an hours long line just to get into the land. Those visuals sell, and make people who aren't there feel like they're missing something special. Whether the lines for Hogsmeade and Diagon were the result of popularity or bad ops is irrelevant. The visuals linger.

The high capacity of both rides is arguably in anticipation of needing it, especially when they're current MO hasn't made it a priority.

Now, though, Disney has a challenge to resolve. The crowds to show the way they expected on either coast - that's an objective observation. As a result, the high capacity ride is soaking up the low crowds to such an extent it's ruined the optics of the opening.
You can tell Disney wants to make it seem like their plan all along was to have low crowds/lines as Chapek changed course from Iger's statement of "we don't even need to advertise" to "10 hour lines don't make for a good guest experience".

If I'm Disney, at least in Orlando, I'm not worried about potential light crowds in the land. Just by the way WDW is, the land will make its money back. Whether it takes longer than they expected, I don't know.

But man, someone has to be sweating about the potential demand for the hotel, especially at the price point it's at.

Those early price points are an absolute joke. So insane.

I'm really interested to see what will become of the now tiny Endor Star Tours area. Has to be a "dead ride walking.."

*Finally*. The old DHS map was confusing for those that didn't know where they were going
This park is a complete mess when it comes to Star Wars. You have the Star Wars IP located in 3 separate lands. Star Wars GE, Echo Lake, and Animation Courtyard. Actually 4 if you want to count the StarWars projection show on the Chinese theater.

LOL

Reactions: UNIrd
'Expected' (adjusted from posted times) stand by wait times at 10:15 AM per Touring Plans app.
Alien Saucers..................7 minutes
Millenium Falcon..........74 minutes
Rock Coaster.................30 minutes
Slinky Dog.....................37 minutes
Star Tours......................20 minutes
Tower of Terror.............13 minutes
Toy Story.......................7 minutes

Fastpass Plus still available for all attractions except Slinky Dog (no MF FP).
Looking like mornings are a great time to tour DHS outside of GESWL.....Same scenario was true at AK when Pandora opened.

Right now is also probably the slowest time at WDW there still is. School is back in session. Hurricane is incoming. A good % of APs and on-site guests went to the park yesterday. Etc, etc. I didn't expect it to be this soft, but I also don't think this is the best test case yet considering all the variables. School being back in session is a big one that will prevent families from traveling for a bit.

I wish this had been able to open when DL's opened as it would've been interesting to see how the land held crowd-wise over the summer.

We stan a reasonable and thoughtful rebuttal!

The only reason this is happening is because of the incoming hurricane. All the hardcore Star Wars, theme park, and Disney junkies already visited the park yesterday. STGE unfortunately opened during a really unlucky time. Not even Disney could of predicted this. Trust me things are bad over here. I live in Miami Florida and the stores are packed with people buying supplies. Nobody is thinking about visiting a theme park over here.

The only reason this is happening is because of the incoming hurricane. All the hardcore Star Wars, theme park, and Disney junkies already visited the park yesterday. STGE unfortunately opened during a really unlucky time. Not even Disney could of predicted this. Trust me things are bad over here. I live in Miami Florida and the stores are packed with people buying supplies. Nobody is thinking about visiting a theme park over here.

Going to throw this out there: the land opened before any settled path or warnings were issued to the state. No airlines or hotels were offering free cancellations or rebookings. I don't believe Disney is unlucky, instead they got lucky they have a scape goat.

Also, by opening the park so early they have spread out the demand so much that any comparison is not going to be accurate. I think it's pretty evident they're meeting demand.