Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 29: Employee Preview Thread

It’s “Invader” by Dance With the Dead. I HIGHLY recommend checking out more of their music if you want to get in the mood for the event.

I wonder if Perturbator or Carpenter Brut will play in the zone, last year those two artists were playing in all the speakers around the park. It would be nice to hear those again.

FCYsp5K.jpg

My completely unnecessary scarezone analysis that nobody asked for and I wasn't even at the event tonight:

So from what we've seen tonight (and considering the situation) I think the zones this year are going to be FANTASTIC. I was a bit disappointed at first with what I saw of Vikings, but as more videos came out through the night and it got darker, it started looking pretty spooky. I am pleasantly surprised, however, by both Vanity and Anarch-ade, especially considering my lack of any expectations. Both of these zones seem to have such high energy and a fast pace. Anarch-ade looks like a nonstop neon rave and Vanity looks like a demented drag show and I AM HERE FOR IT. I have to include Rob Zombie HD in this too, from what I've seen of that zone it looks so hectic in the best way possible.

The hype is real. Lol. I am so pleased at how the zones are shaping up this year, all three of these zones in particular look like nonstop parties - we got gore, neon and fashion. What more could you ask for? Also worth noting how much they really amped up the 80's aesthetic this year, especially with that archway, WOW.... the pixel archway and laser floor?! I can only imagine how it's going to look with the signs.

Also it's owed a mention - Vanity Ball has obvious influence from the LGBT+ community, which I am very pleased to see. It's relieving to see HHN branch out of their comfort zone and introduce a more diverse sense of horror and style.

This year looks like a blast - I thought 28 would be hard to beat (scarezone wise) but this year is looking like good competition. We don't have any IP zones like Altars (or even the Harvest.. kinda), I don't really see any photo op zones like Killer Klowns, and the zones aren't too "heavy"... they seem lighthearted and just pure fun with some horror and gore sprinkled in :)

(Did they FINALLY figure out how to do an Avenue of the Stars zone right???)

I am so stoked. And Brian G said they're not even done yet. AHH

Last edited:
Everyone remember that most people didn't wait that long tonight for any house. I have a friend who was able to knock out 13 house runs and longest wait was 20 mins. So that's going to sway some of this praise on certain IPs like Ghostbusters or Stranger Things (although i've heard poor things about it). To me, Ghostbusters was absolute trash and it let down even further with how they did Stay Puft. If you wait 5-10 mins, then it's cool. If you wait 2-3 hours for it? People aren't gonna have the same reaction. They have a few tricks up their sleeve for the house that are unique, but overall, it's not scary and it's not even necessarily "pretty" like Stranger Things was last year.

Everyone remember that most people didn't wait that long tonight for any house. I have a friend who was able to knock out 13 house runs and longest wait was 20 mins. So that's going to sway some of this praise on certain IPs like Ghostbusters or Stranger Things (although i've heard poor things about it). To me, Ghostbusters was absolute trash and it let down even further with how they did Stay Puft. If you wait 5-10 mins, then it's cool. If you wait 2-3 hours for it? People aren't gonna have the same reaction. They have a few tricks up their sleeve for the house that are unique, but overall, it's not scary and it's not even necessarily "pretty" like Stranger Things was last year.

what was wrong with Stay Puft

My thoughts.
First up from what I saw the zones were active one moment and desolate the next (didn't see any performers in Vanity or Arcade), I'll hold my opinions on them til they're ready. Also, considering this is a technical rehearsal some things were not functioning or outright missing in both zones and houses. I didn't see either show. I also didn't visit the store.
Now with that out of the way here are my first impressions...
10. Us: Great facade(s). A bit on the shorter side, but has some solid jumps. Cast playing the tethered are something else (in a good way), Red actually blocked my path and gave me the death stare in the rabbit room, so that was creepy/cool.
9. Stranger Things: Longest house to the surprise of no one. Although I prefer last year's house much more, this did have some impressive qualities like the enormous mind flayer puppet. A good portion of scares come from the demodogs, but I noticed quite a few of them were inactive while their trigger was hit. Both title card rooms for seasons 2 and 3 are well done, not just relying on a projection like the previous house. Billy actors were great. With some kinks worked out, this house can easily grow on me. Also, kinda random and weird, but if anyone is curious if this house is cold like last year's SS25 house, it's not.
8. HoTC: Wasn't expecting much but man this house has energy. Blew my mind how lengthy this house feels in such a small space. Actors really got into their roles. When I finally get around to watching the film I'll really be able to appreciate this one. And yes, the curse is broken.
7. Ghostbusters: This one is probably the hardest to judge, with every negative I can think of I can make a positive retort immediately. No facade? OK, but a massive room for the Sumerian temple. Light on jumps? Yeah, but there are some very creative scares instead. Effects are top notch (proton beams and Stay Puft come to mind). A lot of wow moments in this house, and many ghosts from across the series are here. Plus I got to high-five Venkman, so bonus points.
6. Nightengales: The dominating opinion for this house from not only those I went with but also the posts across the web seems negative. I don't really get the hate though. It's true, it smells bad. Yes, it's also the stuff-in-face house. But there is a lot to like about this one. First up, the nightengales this time around have been devolved, appearing more bird-like and honestly way scarier. The sets are awesome too, if you're into ancient bloody claustrophobic nightmare gauntlets. Many show scenes and water effects as well. Had a big surprise in this one. I won't spoil it, but I'll tell you this: When I first heard about this house taking place in a Roman arena, of course there had to be a certain puppet used. Went through once but I am longing to go again first thing next time.
5. Killer Klowns: Not much to say other than super fun. As expected there are plenty of GATs and smells abound. Not a really scary one, but it doesn't need to be. I found myself laughing the whole way through. Klownzilla is amazing. Easily my favorite house in this location since Krampus (maybe ever, actually).
4. Yeti: Did two walkthroughs. First one almost nothing happened the entire way and the second one everything was after me. So I guess in a way I got to appreciate the atmosphere one run and take in the scares the other haha. Cool sets (figuratively and literally) with a serious sense of verticality to them. Lots of heavy fans hidden throughout keep the house colder than the rest. Yetis are diverse but are all intimidating. One of my favorite scenes of the event is in this house too, I won't spoil this one either but I'll say that it had me constantly scanning my surroundings for scares from all directions for the remainder of the house. Also, a certain room is sure to bring back Slaughter Sinema PTSD.
3. Universal Monsters: From what I've heard, the response so far is overwhelmingly positive, and with good reason. I was lucky enough to do this one alone. Something I like about this house is that it has a variety of environments without feeling forced from one scene to the next. It has a very natural flow, making it easier to understand where you are and what's happening. The outside projections are neat and the interior facade, although nothing grand, is well done. The Frankenstein Monsters are seriously imposing and give the Yetis a run for their money. Creature got me good, as well as the Bride. Didn't see Hunchback, but he is definitely in the house. Another one I'm stoked to do again.
2. Depths of Fear: Having such low anticipation for this house helped. Honestly this one got the most scares out of me. It's a gruesome, relentless beast of a house that has so much to offer. The first room threw pretty much all preconceptions out the window. And don't fret people, there are A LOT of creatures in this house. Lastly, the water effects are done well. Nothing crazy like La Llorana, but still pretty cool.
1. Graveyard Games: Absolute favorite of the night, no doubt. Starts off pretty lighthearted and funny but turns dead serious and genuinely disturbing. People were freaking out in this one, it was amazing. Contains a large variety of scares and effects that I won't get too much into. Easily the most beautiful house of the year, too. And I hope you enjoy the fresh dirt scent as much as I do. Favorite B79 house from the six years I've been going.

My rankings are bound to change as the event progresses, but let me tell you there really isn't a single bad house this year. All of them are so different from one another, each having something to appeal to somebody. A very strong year is upon us. Get psyched.

It was just a projection. I was expecting a full scale physical representation or a puppet based on what I had been told.
Eh. This is kind of underselling it, imo.
It was a projection, but on a massive static head. Given how slow the Puft man is, I wasn't too disappointed, but I understand your frustration. As much as I was disappointed with ST, the Mind Flayer at the end was killer, AND it moved!

My thoughts.
First up from what I saw the zones were active one moment and desolate the next (didn't see any performers in Vanity or Arcade), I'll hold my opinions on them til they're ready. Also, considering this is a technical rehearsal some things were not functioning or outright missing in both zones and houses. I didn't see either show. I also didn't visit the store.
Now with that out of the way here are my first impressions...
10. Us: Great facade(s). A bit on the shorter side, but has some solid jumps. Cast playing the tethered are something else (in a good way), Red actually blocked my path and gave me the death stare in the rabbit room, so that was creepy/cool.
9. Stranger Things: Longest house to the surprise of no one. Although I prefer last year's house much more, this did have some impressive qualities like the enormous mind flayer puppet. A good portion of scares come from the demodogs, but I noticed quite a few of them were inactive while their trigger was hit. Both title card rooms for seasons 2 and 3 are well done, not just relying on a projection like the previous house. Billy actors were great. With some kinks worked out, this house can easily grow on me. Also, kinda random and weird, but if anyone is curious if this house is cold like last year's SS25 house, it's not.
8. HoTC: Wasn't expecting much but man this house has energy. Blew my mind how lengthy this house feels in such a small space. Actors really got into their roles. When I finally get around to watching the film I'll really be able to appreciate this one. And yes, the curse is broken.
7. Ghostbusters: This one is probably the hardest to judge, with every negative I can think of I can make a positive retort immediately. No facade? OK, but a massive room for the Sumerian temple. Light on jumps? Yeah, but there are some very creative scares instead. Effects are top notch (proton beams and Stay Puft come to mind). A lot of wow moments in this house, and many ghosts from across the series are here. Plus I got to high-five Venkman, so bonus points.
6. Nightengales: The dominating opinion for this house from not only those I went with but also the posts across the web seems negative. I don't really get the hate though. It's true, it smells bad. Yes, it's also the stuff-in-face house. But there is a lot to like about this one. First up, the nightengales this time around have been devolved, appearing more bird-like and honestly way scarier. The sets are awesome too, if you're into ancient bloody claustrophobic nightmare gauntlets. Many show scenes and water effects as well. Had a big surprise in this one. I won't spoil it, but I'll tell you this: When I first heard about this house taking place in a Roman arena, of course there had to be a certain puppet used. Went through once but I am longing to go again first thing next time.
5. Killer Klowns: Not much to say other than super fun. As expected there are plenty of GATs and smells abound. Not a really scary one, but it doesn't need to be. I found myself laughing the whole way through. Klownzilla is amazing. Easily my favorite house in this location since Krampus (maybe ever, actually).
4. Yeti: Did two walkthroughs. First one almost nothing happened the entire way and the second one everything was after me. So I guess in a way I got to appreciate the atmosphere one run and take in the scares the other haha. Cool sets (figuratively and literally) with a serious sense of verticality to them. Lots of heavy fans hidden throughout keep the house colder than the rest. Yetis are diverse but are all intimidating. One of my favorite scenes of the event is in this house too, I won't spoil this one either but I'll say that it had me constantly scanning my surroundings for scares from all directions for the remainder of the house. Also, a certain room is sure to bring back Slaughter Sinema PTSD.
3. Universal Monsters: From what I've heard, the response so far is overwhelmingly positive, and with good reason. I was lucky enough to do this one alone. Something I like about this house is that it has a variety of environments without feeling forced from one scene to the next. It has a very natural flow, making it easier to understand where you are and what's happening. The outside projections are neat and the interior facade, although nothing grand, is well done. The Frankenstein Monsters are seriously imposing and give the Yetis a run for their money. Creature got me good, as well as the Bride. Didn't see Hunchback, but he is definitely in the house. Another one I'm stoked to do again.
2. Depths of Fear: Having such low anticipation for this house helped. Honestly this one got the most scares out of me. It's a gruesome, relentless beast of a house that has so much to offer. The first room threw pretty much all preconceptions out the window. And don't fret people, there are A LOT of creatures in this house. Lastly, the water effects are done well. Nothing crazy like La Llorana, but still pretty cool.
1. Graveyard Games: Absolute favorite of the night, no doubt. Starts off pretty lighthearted and funny but turns dead serious and genuinely disturbing. People were freaking out in this one, it was amazing. Contains a large variety of scares and effects that I won't get too much into. Easily the most beautiful house of the year, too. And I hope you enjoy the fresh dirt scent as much as I do. Favorite B79 house from the six years I've been going.

My rankings are bound to change as the event progresses, but let me tell you there really isn't a single bad house this year. All of them are so different from one another, each having something to appeal to somebody. A very strong year is upon us. Get psyched.

thank you! excellent review !