Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

CityWalk Orlando Updates & Changes General Thread

Universal really needs to do something about CityWalk's retail. The stores were already weak and Disney Springs just blows CityWalk's retail out of the water. I keep expecting Universal to replace every single retail store in CityWalk (minus the Universal store). I'm shocked they haven't already.

Universal really needs to do something about CityWalk's retail. The stores were already weak and Disney Springs just blows CityWalk's retail out of the water. I keep expecting Universal to replace every single retail store in CityWalk (minus the Universal store). I'm shocked they haven't already.
If they close PiQ I'm coming after you

I see the retail stores at Disney Springs as nothing more than a gimmick. I know people go shopping there but it’s not for me, especially with the outlets so near. I won’t buy anything there that I can buy else where, it’s just another bag to carry.

There was a time Universal had the Mall at Millenia as an option for people who like shopping. I think that is still a valid option although it's not on their site anymore. I for sure want Universal to focus on unique stores, restaurants and entertainment than creating a shopping mall.

I see the retail stores at Disney Springs as nothing more than a gimmick. I know people go shopping there but it’s not for me, especially with the outlets so near. I won’t buy anything there that I can buy else where, it’s just another bag to carry.
As a local I actually do go shopping at DS at Uniqlo and Zara. If I was a non-Brazilian/South American tourist (seeing as they seem to buy in bulk at retail stores when here), I can see how it could come across as a gimmick just to get you to the restaurants, though.

I want a model vs what’s the best plan for advertising the new park.

1) Cart before horse here y’all
2) This is the CityWalk thread

Well, we’re discussing a potential preview center coming to City Walk in the “more changes coming to city walk?” Thread. I don’t see how that’s off topic, but maybe going into talking about the model is off topic.

Who even cares about retail? Make a Nintendo store/other relevant universal related things and leave the rest for clubs and dining. I heard from a few Disney employees that the stores at a lot of springs aren't doing to well and some have closed. Universal is limited on space and has increasing attendance and already got rid of their last happy hour at city walk. They don't need retail.

Who even cares about retail? Make a Nintendo store/other relevant universal related things and leave the rest for clubs and dining. I heard from a few Disney employees that the stores at a lot of springs aren't doing to well and some have closed. Universal is limited on space and has increasing attendance and already got rid of their last happy hour at city walk. They don't need retail.
I feel people want to buy theme park specific merch when they are in Orlando anyway. That's already pretty much covered in the various shops in the park.

Just put a Nintendo store on the 2nd level to gain more attendance up there. Some type of gaming center there makes sense too, and add one more quick service restaurant and they should be good before Epic Universe opens up. I really can't imagine we don't get a Nintendo store here before EU, it just makes too much sense to capitalize on the IP.

Disney Springs retail is struggling. A few are doing great like Uniqlo, but a lot are not. While it's true that many foreign tourists come for shopping, it is usually done at the outlet malls. For this it would be great if Universal had a free shuttle to the outlet mall and Millenia. CityWalk doesn't really have that much space for retail anyway.

As far as what is there now. I could see Margaritaville pulling out. If that happens, I would love to see what Universal Creative could do with a Trader Sam's concept.

I would also love to see Bubba Gumps replaced with a real seafood restaurant/ raw bar.

Last edited:
Disney Springs retail is struggling. A few are doing great like Uniqlo, but a lot are not. While it's true that many foreign tourists come for shopping, it is usually done at the outlet malls. For this it would be great if Universal had a free shuttle to the outlet mall and Millenia. CityWalk doesn't really have that much space for ratail anyway.

As far as what is there now. I could see Margaritaville pulling out. If that happens, I would love to see what Universal Creative could do with a Trader Sam's concept.

I would also love to see Bubba Gumps replaced with a real seafood restaurant/ raw bar.
I doubt either leave any time soon, unless Margaritaville decides there's more money in having a location at their resort - which I have to doubt. I think Gump would be the likelier of the two to leave, but they have to have one or two "safe" chain restaurants for Joey Bagadonuts who just want to eat something he knows, and right now, that's BG, HRC and MV - leaving out the fast food on the second floor for this discussion.

Disney Springs retail is struggling. A few are doing great like Uniqlo, but a lot are not. While it's true that many foreign tourists come for shopping, it is usually done at the outlet malls. For this it would be great if Universal had a free shuttle to the outlet mall and Millenia. CityWalk doesn't really have that much space for ratail anyway.

Foreigners always go for a longer time (most of them go for 3 weeks). They are confined to 1 resort. Every Orlando travel guide mentions the (outlet) malls and they often have a car for their length of stay so wht whole Disney Spings thing never appealed to me in the first place. But we loved Disney Village Marketplace when it was all Disney.

I like your replacement suggestions.

Not to beat a dead horse on the Nintendo store....

But if they realistically wanted to build another big restaurant or store, something needs to be replaced. Id imagine Margaritaville is a good $$ maker so I dont see that leaving although the space and location are PRIME. With the Margaritaville resort open I do think this is a possibility in the next few years, depending on the success there.

If not, Red Coconut and Marley's is another potential spot, but really the only space that lets them get creative is the mini golf space. I have no idea if and how much $ Universal makes off that, but thats space that could be used for a multilevel Nintendo store. Hits non resort/north campus guests right as they walk into Citywalk from the parking garage, and hits them on the way out. Also, guarantees resort guests get to the very end of citywalk and see what they have to offer.

Idk, just gimme a damn Nintendo store lol.

I’d guess they’d want a Nintendo store at the epic universe shopping area instead.
Id think they'd want to spread the wealth. Obviously need to make your investment back on Nintendo and EU but id be surprised if we don't see Nintendo properties in any of the current Universal parks, which would make more sense to have it in CityWalk anyways. Who knows, this does likely make more sense. I think spreading Potter across the 2 parks was genius for them and their business, I think it'd be smart to do the same with Nintendo.

Id think they'd want to spread the wealth. Obviously need to make your investment back on Nintendo and EU but id be surprised if we don't see Nintendo properties in any of the current Universal parks, which would make more sense to have it in CityWalk anyways. Who knows, this does likely make more sense. I think spreading Potter across the 2 parks was genius for them and their business, I think it'd be smart to do the same with Nintendo.
The Potter comparison only works because you're selling tickets to both parks. Any schmo can go to Citywalk.