Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion

A few questions as I've never been to Horror Nights at Hollywood and we are going this weekend.
Is there no haunted tram tour this year?

No tram, I heard one of the reasons is due to the conditions of the Bates Motel's interior. Too much of a hazard to put actors in there as of lately. Not sure if that's really why it didn't return this year but it makes sense. I don't see Universal footing the bill to restore it anytime soon. To be completely fair though, it hasn't been that good of an attraction the past few years. Although last year was a good send off and was the closest it's been to its glory days in years. I do really enjoy Us and Pandora's Box, and think they're way better than what the Terror Tram would be this year.

It took me a while to notice the twins - it's a great detail.

Steve really needs a trigger and to come out more in general... but it's nice that they added him.
Agreed, didn't even notice Steve or Joyce till my 6th time through, which was only like 2 weeks ago, and even then I only saw them that one time.

That's because they JUST added Steve and Joyce about 2 or 3 weeks ago, I believe it was mentioned in the review thread.

C'mon dude... :lol:

There's fair criticism, and there is nitpicking. This is falling on the latter.
Knotts Berry Farm re themes rides to for their events so no...an event that is almost full even on Thursday is to me a reasonable request...especially when its literally just a screen ride.

Also No company wants to spend more money than they have too, hence black walls. As someone who has gone to like 6/7 out of the last ten years HHN and seen it grow but not address crowd controls...I feel my opinion is valid.

Knotts Berry Farm re themes rides to for their events so no...an event that is almost full even on Thursday is to me a reasonable request...especially when its literally just a screen ride.

Also No company wants to spend more money than they have too, hence black walls. As someone who has gone to like 6/7 out of the last ten years HHN and seen it grow but not address crowd controls...I feel my opinion is valid.

Allow me to just say this: Remember when it was once mentioned that Universal looked into doing Treehouse of Horror as a proper revamp of The Simpsons Ride for the halloween season (but was scrapped, as it was considered during the 2000's writer strike). Additionally, while a minor thing done in the past; Universal had placed strobe lights and basically darkened the entire finale portion of the original Jurassic Park: The Ride (with a notable change for multiple years, being the inclusion of Welcome to The Jungle).

They had to also cancel the Death Eaters inclusion to this year's event due to budget constraints, and had tested a version of Dark Arts at Hogwarts Castle that would've swapped out the drones for pyro back in August (after the show concluded).

Putting an actor or two in the calico mine ride and log ride is nothing compared to filming a sequence to go with an existing ride.

They do a complete overlay of the Timber Mountain Log Ride with different figures, projections, and music for Halloween nowadays. That takes a lot more work to put up every year then switching the video on a simulator. Making the initial new video would cost money, but once it is made, it should be an easy switch.

They do a complete overlay of the Timber Mountain Log Ride with different figures, projections, and music for Halloween nowadays. That takes a lot more work to put up every year then switching the video on a simulator. Making the initial new video would cost money, but once it is made, it should be an easy switch.
I guess it depends on whether taking out that much of a years budget is worth it. Odds are if guest surveys don't show interest in an overlay, I wouldn't bet on it happening. Not to mention Knotts has more room in the budget for alterations to rides since their mazes cost significantly less overall compared to universal, partially because a majority return the same each year, and partially because universal also has to pay for the properties.

I guess it depends on whether taking out that much of a years budget is worth it. Odds are if guest surveys don't show interest in an overlay, I wouldn't bet on it happening. Not to mention Knotts has more room in the budget for alterations to rides since their mazes cost significantly less overall compared to universal, partially because a majority return the same each year, and partially because universal also has to pay for the properties.

Would also guess that additions/updates/enhancements like that would come out of the general park creative budget, not the HHN budget, and in case it wasn't obvious, USH has been working on some pretty comprehensive (ie: expensive) additions recently. Ever since Wizarding World opened, it's been one thing after another.

I also agree with Spookies first point, I don't think people are clamoring for this stuff.

Saw Steve carrying his nail embedded bat on my first and only run 10/17. I didn’t realize he was a later addition to the maze.

“Just switch the video”

Sure. We’ll ignore writing, production, installation, testing and adjusting as part of that process. All for a 40 night, at night only attraction layover.

The initial process of making it would take time, but it wouldn't be something that takes a massive amount of time to install once it is done, and could be reused yearly. After the initial year, it wouldn't be anywhere near as much of an undertaking as the Halloween Hootenanny overlay for the Timber Mountain Log Ride or Haunted Mansion Holiday.

It wouldn't happen now though, since they waited too long and now Disney has the Simpsons rights.

The initial process of making it would take time, but it wouldn't be something that takes a massive amount of time to install once it is done, and could be reused yearly. After the initial year, it wouldn't be anywhere near as much of an undertaking as the Halloween Hootenanny overlay for the Timber Mountain Log Ride or Haunted Mansion Holiday.

It wouldn't happen now though, since they waited too long and now Disney has the Simpsons rights.

Simpsons wasn’t Universals to play with outright beforehand anyway. We’re assuming Fox would just let them. It also would’ve taken money. A lot of it considering the cast. It doesn’t make a lot of financial sense. Let’s also consider that Knotts uses the overlay day and night.

The idea has a lot more against it than for it.

So I'm trying to post a pic of a screen shot but it wont let me. Anywho WWOHP starting tomorrow is open during HHN! Jennefer.a posted it on instagram.

Last edited:
Last edited: