Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The "IP That's Yet to Come" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
But Horror Nights isn’t supposed to be family friendly.

It is really marketable though and Hollywood already has him this year for the Throwback Thursday’s. I would put some serious money on Candyman + Beetlejuice coming next year.

If Stranger Things leave I think there will be less complaints about family friendly properties since that’s the main IP that brings in younger children.

On a serious note, how have we not gotten Hellboy yet? I mean, Universal could definitely do a house based on the second film, right?

The year Golden Army came out, Bill & Ted was even titled "Bill & Ted Meet Hellboy." The evil elf was the main villain. It felt like a proof of concept for a Hellboy stunt show or something similar, the costumes were that good.

I can only assume the market forces that killed the third Perlman movie killed it as well. With the reboot flopping, I wouldn't get my hopes up for this.

The year Golden Army came out, Bill & Ted was even titled "Bill & Ted Meet Hellboy." The evil elf was the main villain. It felt like a proof of concept for a Hellboy stunt show or something similar, the costumes were that good.

I can only assume the market forces that killed the third Perlman movie killed it as well. With the reboot flopping, I wouldn't get my hopes up for this.

The Ghostbusters reboot flopping didn't stop that from coming this year. Regardless, I would argue that box office has never really mattered when it comes to house selection. Sometimes it comes down to picking fan-requested films like House of 1000 Corpses or Cabin in the Woods. Their options are certainly a lot more limited now with Fox and (possibly) Warner Bros out of the question.

Anyone think Doctor Sleep or It have chances for next year?

Universal would have to negotiate with its long-licensing partner Warner Bros. Doctor Sleep may not be in for HHN until for a couple of years due to its similar with the Shining. Hopefully, Universal resolves the issue with Warner Bros, about bringing IT to HHN.

Dude really?
Yes, really. I don't mean it as a shot at anyone, just a fact. HHN is, for better or worse, going to have a more family friendly element to it, so long as it keeps the tickets selling.

Universal would have to negotiate with its long-licensing partner Warner Bros. Doctor Sleep may not be in for HHN until for a couple of years due to its similar with the Shining. Hopefully, Universal resolves the issue with Warner Bros, about bringing IT to HHN.

Here we go again. Their issue may be with King and not WB, depending on whether King still has the rights.

Yes, really. I don't mean it as a shot at anyone, just a fact. HHN is, for better or worse, going to have a more family friendly element to it, so long as it keeps the tickets selling.

Here we go again. Their issue may be with King and not WB, depending on whether King still has the rights.
I would say it's going to broaden it's IP reach to include more diverse properties...They are still going to use the same tactics to scare you. A good example was how Ghostbusters got me more times than Depths of Fear....One was supposed to be more horror, but didn't deliver and one draws on horror elements and went above and beyond.

I'd say a bigger hurtle for HHN is breaking the successful formula they've been relying on for the last ten-ish years

The Ghostbusters reboot flopping didn't stop that from coming this year. Regardless, I would argue that box office has never really mattered when it comes to house selection. Sometimes it comes down to picking fan-requested films like House of 1000 Corpses or Cabin in the Woods. Their options are certainly a lot more limited now with Fox and (possibly) Warner Bros out of the question.

Are we really comparing Ghostbusters to Hellboy? You’re right - in some cases, B.O. doesn’t matter. I just don’t think Hellboy has any sorta shot.

I think that Beetlejuice has a high chance of coming just based on the insane popularity of the musical. Clearly, there’s still a need and market for Beetlejuice and with a scareactor roaming during Throwback Thursdays in Hollywood, this is probably the most likely IP to come into fruition this early into spec season.

As long as there's still more mazes that are like all of this year's originals--say, a 7/3 split in favor of dark and gory--then whatever.

I still haven't seen Beetlejuice, though I did enjoy Graveyard Revue the one time I saw it.

Also, concerning Stranger Things, this article says that filming will likely end in August 2020. So if it comes back next year, it would definitely be an all three seasons mashup. I wonder if it would be in time for it to allow a preview finale for season 4, like Games of Jigsaw? Hopefully it wouldn't get the big soundstage.

Last edited:
I'm still pushing hard for a Nine Inch Nails maze. Downward Spiral for the start: run-down apartment with crazy-eye Trent, Trent as a preacher, Trent in Closer-outfit in the zoo, Trent as "The Great Destroyer."

Then Year Zero, with Trent riot police, a political murder with government troops in a suburban house, a post-apocalyptic warehouse that's on fire/getting nuked and filled with Parepin addicts, and end with a screen featuring the Presence (That reaches out with the poltergeist hand)

Then end with either Broken movie, with Happiness in Slavery Saw device, Pinion drowning bathroom, Help Me I'm in Hell dinner table, and the Gave Up murders and a light-tunnel for the final execution.

Surprised get out never got a house with all the “modern classic” hype around it... too socially polarizing or something?
At least from Hollywood, Murdy said he felt like he wouldn't be able to do the social commentary justice in a haunt format. Can't speak for orlando though.

Status
Not open for further replies.