Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The "IP That's Yet to Come" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Universal still had the rights to Marvel, I would love to see:

- Maximum Carnage 2 (All the heroes have been infused with the Carnage symbiote)

- Marvel Zombies

- Hells Kitchen (Daredevil, The Punisher, Kingpin, Bullseye, Elektra, and The Hand)

- Symbiotes

- Ghost Rider

- Villain takeover (Dr. Doom, Magneto, Taskmaster, Red Skull, Venom, Sabretooth, Whiplash, and Loki)

- Spider-Man Villains

Not sure if villains translate well into haunts...

Why? The others I can see why.

Hoping we get a 5/5 split of IPs and originals next year (and no more than 10 houses)!
A couple reasons:

1. With WB's haunt deep-sixed, WB may be willing to play again.
1a. The property is already well-entrenched at USF.

2. Like GB this year and Poltergeist last year, it's a long-beloved, fairly family-friendly property with instantly recognizable (and marketable!) iconography.

A couple reasons:

2. Like GB this year and Poltergeist last year, it's a long-beloved, fairly family-friendly property with instantly recognizable (and marketable!) iconography.

I would prefer one of their scarier properties, myself. I'm not even a huge fan of It or Conjuring, I just know that either would shut up the "not scary" talk. And I've felt like WB not willing to play the last couple of years was THE cause of them using more family friendly properties--I don't think Poltergeist or Ghostbusters would've shown had WB's biggies been available.

If they keep doing properties along the lines of GB and Beetlejuice I hope they avoid original comedy houses.

Last edited:
Based on the success of Rob Zombie at both of the coasts this year, I feel a Marilyn Manson themed house/zone could be very intriguing. Some of his late 90's music especially could lend itself to some very cool costumes and set design. The only problem I see is Marilyn Manson is very controversial in the eyes of many and I imagine HHN would not want a negative view on the event.

I would prefer one of their scarier properties, myself. I'm not even a huge fan of It or Conjuring, I just know that either would shut up the "not scary" talk. And I've felt like WB not willing to play the last couple of years was THE cause of them using more family friendly properties--I don't think Poltergeist or Ghostbusters would've shown had WB's biggies been available.

If they keep doing properties along the lines of GB and Beetlejuice I hope they avoid original comedy houses.

If people are whining about “not scary” this year, they’re going to be whining about it no matter what. It has very little to do with reality.

And cutting down on comedy houses, both original and IP, would be intensely foolish. First, they provide the event with much-needed variety, something sorely needed in an event with ten or more houses. An endless procession of blood and guts in traditional “scary” settings will get old fast.

What’s more, comedy houses tend to feature a greater variety of settings, costumes, and effects within the house itself. Think of GB or Slaughter Sinema (or Leave it to Cleaver or Killer Klownz) vs Blood Pit or Catacombs or (ugh) any Walking Dead House. Just like dark rides, a great house depends on a variety of interesting settings.

Finally, a lot of folks (like myself) prefer the tongue-in-cheek houses.

On that note, Bettlejuice, Gremlins, Ghostbusters 2, Army of Darkness, Return of the Living Dead, Shaun of the Dead - or even an older film like Theatre of Blood or Young Frankenstein - would be great.

I’d bet on Beetlejuice.

If people are whining about “not scary” this year, they’re going to be whining about it no matter what. It has very little to do with reality.

And cutting down on comedy houses, both original and IP, would be intensely foolish. First, they provide the event with much-needed variety, something sorely needed in an event with ten or more houses. An endless procession of blood and guts in traditional “scary” settings will get old fast.

What’s more, comedy houses tend to feature a greater variety of settings, costumes, and effects within the house itself. Think of GB or Slaughter Sinema (or Leave it to Cleaver or Killer Klownz) vs Blood Pit or Catacombs or (ugh) any Walking Dead House. Just like dark rides, a great house depends on a variety of interesting settings.

On that note, Bettlejuice, Gremlins, Ghostbusters 2, Army of Darkness, Return of the Living Dead - or even an older film like Theatre of Blood would be great.

I’d bet on Beetlejuice.

I see your point, but I think back to 18. Great variety of houses, only one of them comedy. Didn't see 21, but again, only one comedy house and seemingly great variety of houses. Of course, there's been an increase in the house count by two since then, so there IS more room. Thinking about this year, I was very happy that none of the originals this year were tongue-in-cheek.

So now that I think of it, roughly three lighter houses a year is perfectly fine. I do think they went much too heavy on the comedy last year--five of the houses were either comedy or more family friendly, and another (Scary Tales) was played more for laughs than I would have liked.

Back to the subject, how scary/played straight is Thir13en Ghosts? I know it's rated R but I don't know much about it.

Last edited:
If Universal still had the rights to Marvel, I would love to see:

- Maximum Carnage 2 (All the heroes have been infused with the Carnage symbiote)

- Marvel Zombies

- Hells Kitchen (Daredevil, The Punisher, Kingpin, Bullseye, Elektra, and The Hand)

- Symbiotes

- Ghost Rider

- Villain takeover (Dr. Doom, Magneto, Taskmaster, Red Skull, Venom, Sabretooth, Whiplash, and Loki)

- Spider-Man Villains
Scorsese and Coppola disapprove of this post.

On that note, Bettlejuice, Gremlins, Ghostbusters 2, Army of Darkness, Return of the Living Dead - or even an older film like Theatre of Blood would be great.

I’d bet on Beetlejuice.
I see your point, but I think back to 18. Great variety of houses, only one of them comedy. Didn't see 21, but again, only one comedy house and seemingly great variety of houses. Of course, there's been an increase in the house count by two since then, so there IS more room. Thinking about this year, I was very happy that none of the originals this year were tongue-in-cheek.

So now that I think of it, roughly three lighter houses a year is perfectly fine. I do think they went much too heavy on the comedy last year--five of the houses were either comedy or more family friendly, and another (Scary Tales) was played more for laughs than I would have liked.

Back to the subject, how scary/played straight is Thir13en Ghosts? I know it's rated R but I don't know much about it.

18 had two comedy houses (Creatures and Scary Tales). 18 is actually one of my favorite years, but the houses actually weren’t that great - what made 18 were the wonderful scarezones, four of which were more imaginative and tongue-in-cheek. Honestly, no other year has come close in terms of streets.

As for last year, I’m not sure what your definition of family-friendly includes - I’d say three, MAYBE four houses were lighter, and that includes Scary Tales.

And this year isn’t a great argument for scary originals - I thought the three (Graveyard excepted) were rather tepid.

Three lighter houses is fine. One original, one IP, and one that from either category would be ideal.

As for Thir13en Ghosts, it’s problem is that it has almost no cultural footprint, cult or mainstream. It was one of a forgettable cycle of late 90s-early 2000s “darker” remakes of older classics.

Actually, a tribute house to William Castle (who made the original) could be neat.

Beetlejuice would not surprise me next year

August, I would have completely agreed. Even opening weekend, I would've agreed.

But now that we've seen 2019 play out--I think very little chance of this. Which makes me sad. Fingers still crossed for Lost Boys.

August, I would have completely agreed. Even opening weekend, I would've agreed.

But now that we've seen 2019 play out--I think very little chance of this. Which makes me sad. Fingers still crossed for Lost Boys.

GB will probably win HoTY anyway. IDK what the GP's response has been, and that's what matters in whether they choose an IP (that and if they can access it).

Last edited:
I really hope Return of the Living Dead and Hereditary would be used as Halloween Horror Nights next year or maybe 2010. They're both well-received horror movies, so people can get a good look at what's really like inside those movies.

VERY UNLIKELY:
  • Child's Play (series); 1988-2017(?) (MGM/ UA)
  • Scream; 1996-2011 (Dimension)
  • Hellraiser; 1987-2018 (Dimension)
  • IT; 2018-2019 (Warner Bros./ Stephen King)
  • The Evil Dead; 1981 - 1992 (New Line)
  • Alien; 1979-2018 (20th Century Fox/ Dinsey)
  • American Horror Story: Asylum; 2019 (FX/ Disney)*
Yeah, you might as well have to cross off the last two on the list because we all know Disney, they're extremely protective of its intellectual properties and are not willing to lend them out to rival companies, especially to a known theme park competitor. As such, we'll never see Alien and American Horror Story as haunted mazes ever again.

Scream isn't that particular that interesting when compared to Killer Klowns and Creepshow, which have unrealistic fantasy monster scenarios. Hellraiser, I don't know, haven't seen the movie franchise yet.

I disagree with IT and New Line's Evil Dead though. Universal still could get them for HHN mazes, it's just that the rights involved make it more complicated, but it is not out of the realm to get them.

Also, Child's Play franchise is owned by Universal, it's just the 1988 film along with its remake are owned by MGM.

Last edited:
I don't think we ever got Psycho as an actual maze? I think Psycho could make a good maze.

I think it happened back in the day, either at Orlando or Hollywood.

Regardless, with Universal Monsters now popular in both coasts and probably going to show up at every event for the next three or so years, I think it's high time we get that Hitchcock maze Murdy was talking about. Turn it into an HHN yearly franchise like Walking Dead was and AHS and Blumhouse almost were, with a different selection of movies each time/different scenes from the same movies.

I would also love a Psycho maze. The Psycho house is one of the most iconic parts of USH, and it would be awesome if the maze could be back by the house and motel. However, it would be a hassle to have to take a tram down to it.

A couple reasons:

But Horror Nights isn’t supposed to be family friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.