Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 2020 Old Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read that statement more to Originals. That includes the likes of Universal Monsters going forward, if they continue the fashion of crossing over the Monster's..

That having been said, alot of movies on that list, especially Conjuring 3, I feel like have a good chance of coming. The Grudge also doesn't intersect with what made Spirits and Demons dicey (eg Fu Manchu guy and religious symbols) so I think it could be something that Sony would push for. Ditto Zombieland.

I don't have a lot of inside information at the moment, but my gut says we get three originals PLUS an "original" Monster maze. Dracula feels most likely as one of the featured characters, probably (hopefully?) with a redesign of his mask.

Every other IP I'd say is up in the air. I don't think Creepshow is necessarily a lock or even likely, but I'm sure it's on the table. Stranger Things, in my view, is gonna go the way of American Horror Story Asylum/Coven.

I don't have a lot of inside information at the moment, but my gut says we get three originals PLUS an "original" Monster maze. Dracula feels most likely as one of the featured characters, probably (hopefully?) with a redesign of his mask.

Every other IP I'd say is up in the air. I don't think Creepshow is necessarily a lock or even likely, but I'm sure it's on the table. Stranger Things, in my view, is gonna go the way of American Horror Story Asylum/Coven.
This is nothing more than baseless speculation from me, but with originals rising, it makes me wonder if they’re realizing, “hey, we don’t need to license from so many studios anymore” and will only stick with one or two studios to license. I wonder if that will affect Creepshow’s chances of happening again.

I mention this because Hollywood is notoriously stingy on budget. I mean, stingy as frick. They could use a little extra cash to invest more in the houses. To give you an idea about their situation, I got to talk to Murdy with HHNManiacs on closing night, and he straight up told me that he wanted to reuse more props for Pandora’s Box. He wanted to reuse the snake and the “spider body”, but Uni threw them out. “We just reuse and reuse”.

This is nothing more than baseless speculation from me, but with originals rising, it makes me wonder if they’re realizing, “hey, we don’t need to license from so many studios anymore” and will only stick with one or two studios to license. I wonder if that will affect Creepshow’s chances of happening again.

I mention this because Hollywood is notoriously stingy on budget. I mean, stingy as frick. They could use a little extra cash to invest more in the houses. To give you an idea about their situation, I got to talk to Murdy with HHNManiacs on closing night, and he straight up told me that he wanted to reuse more props for Pandora’s Box. He wanted to reuse the snake and the “spider body”, but Uni threw them out. “We just reuse and reuse”.
I think Creepshow is still pretty safe since Greg Nicotero is a friend of the event, and since I doubt Shudder demands as much as some other companies might, I'm sure Nicotero can get them a pretty good deal for it.

If Uni still has a good working relationship with a studio like Sony, MGM, or WB, then I don't see why they wouldn't try to keep multiple studios in the fold or even throw them a bone with a lesser IP like Trick R Treat or a promo house like GB 2020 or MGM & the Russo Brother's Poltergeist remake every now and then. I think it's smart to keep those bridges well-maintained, since it can only help in the future.

I think the real benefit to having high-performing originals is that if a studio doesn't play ball or has unreasonable demands (eg Lionsgate has been a known troublemaker for Uni) then Uni can more easily tell them to stuff it.

So if we are gonna get an increase in originals next year, that Mexican original that Murdy has been talking about for the last couple of years has to come, right.

So if we are gonna get an increase in originals next year, that Mexican original that Murdy has been talking about for the last couple of years has to come, right.

Personally speaking: I doubt they'll swing in the way of the Mexican Original that was once talked about..more-so due to the potential cultural controversy they could have (in a similar fashion to why Spirits and Demon's won't likely get the chance (even tho it should)).

Personally speaking: I doubt they'll swing in the way of the Mexican Original that was once talked about..more-so due to the potential cultural controversy they could have (in a similar fashion to why Spirits and Demon's won't likely get the chance (even tho it should)).
I don't think the Spirits and Demons thing will happen for that Mexican original because 1) They learned their lesson, and 2) There's a big population of Latino/Mexican people in the LA area so I think theres more knowledge as to what is and isn't respectful.

I don't think the Spirits and Demons thing will happen for that Mexican original because 1) They learned their lesson, and 2) There's a big population of Latino/Mexican people in the LA area so I think theres more knowledge as to what is and isn't respectful.
Something to keep in mind is that La Llorona was from a different time. If that or El Cucuy came out this year, I can be pretty certain someone would find something “racist” about it. I don’t think they’re going to touch anything cultural related unfortunately

Honestly, I could see Murdy going back to the Mexican originals just because they never seemed to spark the firestorms of controversy that Spirits and Demons did. They'll probably get better at running it by sensitivity guys and they've never had a problem with it in the past (plus, the big problem with Spirits and Demons was that they used a kinda dicey stereotype in the zone, whereas that's not an issue if they're using a made up mythological being).

Remember, we had Cinco de Mayo and Dia De Los Muertos in a zone last year. Curse of La Llorona was a relatively big hit. No reason to think something similar can't come this year.

EDIT: @Brian G. Maybe...Dracula v. Invisible Man?

Have it be a half-blacklight, half-traditional set maze like if Pandora's Box's opening was half of the maze?

The only connection to be made between how Spirits & Demons of the East was handled vs how La Llorona/El Cucuy/Cinco de Mayo in Holidayz were handled is the idea of using a specific culture as inspiration. Besides that, they're wildly different examples. As a Mexican (I obviously don't speak on behalf for all), La Llorona and El Cucuy were great. No problems there. The Cinco de Mayo stretch of Holidayz was a *little* in poor taste with Tequila playing on loop and the "señor and señorita" characters, but it was far from offensive. The problem with Spirits & Demons was the inclusion of religious symbols and stereotyped character design (I still don't know how the geisha character made it through to the end of the event).

My point is that a new Mexican original should be safe, given Murdy's track record. Spirits & Demons was just a odd, poorly planned fluke.

A few things...

For Monsters, I'd point out that a premise in the 2018 Monsters maze was that Dracula had a "collections" room... one that contained The Mummy.

For the ongoing "other culture" debate... the controversy with Spirits & Demons in part came down to casting. The Lo Pan character was not in good taste when not played by actors of Asian descent. I would not be surprised if an overabundance of caution emerged for next year due to the narrowly-avoided issues on both this and Us.

The only connection to be made between how Spirits & Demons of the East was handled vs how La Llorona/El Cucuy/Cinco de Mayo in Holidayz were handled is the idea of using a specific culture as inspiration. Besides that, they're wildly different examples. As a Mexican (I obviously don't speak on behalf for all), La Llorona and El Cucuy were great. No problems there. The Cinco de Mayo stretch of Holidayz was a *little* in poor taste with Tequila playing on loop and the "señor and señorita" characters, but it was far from offensive. The problem with Spirits & Demons was the inclusion of religious symbols and stereotyped character design (I still don't know how the geisha character made it through to the end of the event).

My point is that a new Mexican original should be safe, given Murdy's track record. Spirits & Demons was just a odd, poorly planned fluke.

Exactly. I'm Chinese, and I love the idea of a house based on Chinese ghosts. They just failed to consider one aspect, doesn't mean they need to throw everything in the bin.

A few things...

For Monsters, I'd point out that a premise in the 2018 Monsters maze was that Dracula had a "collections" room... one that contained The Mummy.

For the ongoing "other culture" debate... the controversy with Spirits & Demons in part came down to casting. The Lo Pan character was not in good taste when not played by actors of Asian descent. I would not be surprised if an overabundance of caution emerged for next year due to the narrowly-avoided issues on both this and Us.

A Mummy house needs to happen soon. It was pretty much the first original Universal Monster (Dracula, Frankenstein and Phantom were all based on books) and it's probably the creepiest of the early movies too. It's funny, 'cuz The Mummy and Dracula are basically remakes too; both are charismatic villains that arrive in a foreign place and take a liking to the main character's girlfriend, theres an older doctor and a younger apprentice, and the Mummy even has a servant, like Renfield.

I wonder what the story will be? Maybe the Mummy decides that someone is the reincarnation of his lost love, but also it's one of Dracula's brides/daughters?

EDIT: Also, combining these two scenes would be effing insaneeeeeeee

Exactly. I'm Chinese, and I love the idea of a house based on Chinese ghosts. They just failed to consider one aspect, doesn't mean they need to throw everything in the bin.

A Mummy house needs to happen soon. It was pretty much the first original Universal Monster (Dracula, Frankenstein and Phantom were all based on books) and it's probably the creepiest of the early movies too. It's funny, 'cuz The Mummy and Dracula are basically remakes too; both are charismatic villains that arrive in a foreign place and take a liking to the main character's girlfriend, theres an older doctor and a younger apprentice, and the Mummy even has a servant, like Renfield.

I wonder what the story will be? Maybe the Mummy decides that someone is the reincarnation of his lost love, but also it's one of Dracula's brides/daughters?

The problem is Universal doesn't like to play with nuance. Too much of a risk-averse machine for that. So they get a bit of pushback on something like this... they don't try it again. I don't like it, but that's the process.

My guess is the story would be Dracula has a castle that hosts a collection of artifacts from all over the world. The Mummy is unleashed as part of that endeavor. If they wanted... they could also include Gill-Man, who was meant to be in the 2018 Collections Room (some of his scenic remains - all of that Amazonian stuff on the shelves wasn't for nothing). If they really wanted to go for it, they could include some really out there stuff that could feasibly fit under that umbrella, like the Mole Men.

I wanna see originals that aren't gimmicks. Orlando level ideas with Hollywood style execution is the bare minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.