Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chaotic neutral. A chaotic neutral character is an individualist who follows their own heart and generally shirks rules and traditions. Although chaotic neutral characters promote the ideals of freedom, it is their own freedom that comes first; good and evil come second to their need to be free.

I am expecting red herrings and somewhat challenging to solve clues to throw people off on the wrong direction this year then! Exciting.

This is kind of out-of-line with other speculation, but I think it would be incredibly smart to have a female-centric year this year. Considering that "time's up" (literally) with the Terra Queen, it might be interesting to watch the Storyteller conjure characters like (S)Cindy, Chance, and Lady Luck to headline the event this year along with the Terra Queen. It would certainly capture the feeling of our current global mood (as they have done with the theme of "nostalgia" for the past few years) and would definitely get some of these hidden-ish characters a chance to come out of the shadows.

Additionally, a lot of women of all ages audition for HHN, and it seems like Universal is always looking to create roles that women can fill. There are a lot of talented, scary women that audition, but lots of horror IPs can skew male in terms of antagonists. Houses like Nightingales and Us tend to do quite well and create more scary female roles - I think they'd be wise to consider it.

Then again, Universal is sometimes strange with "politics" - though I personally see this as inclusion rather than politics. In some moments, I can see Universal being ballsy and doing something like this as they would with Bill and Ted, but obviously there's a change occurring to the event in more ways than one.

This is kind of out-of-line with other speculation, but I think it would be incredibly smart to have a female-centric year this year. Considering that "time's up" (literally) with the Terra Queen, it might be interesting to watch the Storyteller conjure characters like (S)Cindy, Chance, and Lady Luck to headline the event this year along with the Terra Queen. It would certainly capture the feeling of our current global mood (as they have done with the theme of "nostalgia" for the past few years) and would definitely get some of these hidden-ish characters a chance to come out of the shadows.

Additionally, a lot of women of all ages audition for HHN, and it seems like Universal is always looking to create roles that women can fill. There are a lot of talented, scary women that audition, but lots of horror IPs can skew male in terms of antagonists. Houses like Nightingales and Us tend to do quite well and create more scary female roles - I think they'd be wise to consider it.

Then again, Universal is sometimes strange with "politics" - though I personally see this as inclusion rather than politics. In some moments, I can see Universal being ballsy and doing something like this as they would with Bill and Ted, but obviously there's a change occurring to the event in more ways than one.

I like that idea and think it’s safe to say at least the Terra Queen will be appearing in some manner next year. I don’t think The Storyteller will be a central icon again, though.

I’d like to see each icon host the SZs this year. This idea would be great for one of those zones.

This is kind of out-of-line with other speculation, but I think it would be incredibly smart to have a female-centric year this year.

Word after HHN26 was don't expect another female icon. Everything subject to change, but I think it will be a while.

Also, as for Chance herself, if Universal is courting WB, not sure using their obvious Harley Quinn pastiche the same year Harley's movie comes out will make for corporate good will.

Word after HHN26 was don't expect another female icon. Everything subject to change, but I think it will be a while.
Jesus, all because of one failed concept? No offense but I don't really see how that's fair at all. We haven't had an icon since then sure, but come on. The Patient's failed lore/concept didn't stop male icons from coming to the event in the past.

I feel like, in general, hardcore fans and even the GP to some degree holds female villains to higher/impossible standards. The ones we've had were infinitely cooler and had more longterm potential than the male icons (Elsa being a mysteriously powerful being, Lady Luck existing since time began, everything about Bloody Mary) but it's like picking teeth trying to get them back in a substantial way. Hell, Cindy's presence in the Icon zone was just insulting. Why would they just slap on a chainsaw on her for no reason?

Sorry for the rant. Just getting real tired of Uni refusing to develop female icons because people think they're lame. There's only so much they can do with Jack, yet it seems like the fans want him and him only. It's stupid.

Jesus, all because of one failed concept? No offense but I don't really see how that's fair at all. We haven't had an icon since then sure, but come on. The Patient's failed lore/concept didn't stop male icons from coming to the event in the past.

I feel like, in general, hardcore fans and even the GP to some degree holds female villains to higher/impossible standards. The ones we've had were infinitely cooler and had more longterm potential than the male icons (Elsa being a mysteriously powerful being, Lady Luck existing since time began, everything about Bloody Mary) but it's like picking teeth trying to get them back in a substantial way. Hell, Cindy's presence in the Icon zone was just insulting. Why would they just slap on a chainsaw on her for no reason?

Sorry for the rant. Just getting real tired of Uni refusing to develop female icons because people think they're lame. There's only so much they can do with Jack, yet it seems like the fans want him and him only. It's stupid.

The die-hards want the other icons. Casual fans want Jack and Chance. :(

Three failed concepts. None of the female icons, apart from Mary with her pre-established cultural awareness, really clicked. Reasons aside, there’s “enough” evidence that icons in general aren’t necessary. In fact, compared to the overall response to Jack (and only Jack), all of the other icons pale. It’s not really personal, what Universal is doing. It’s what they see from their level, and they make decisions based on that.

Now, you reference “The Patient.” If you’re referring to the imagery from 2004, he wasn’t an icon nor was there any lore associated with that year. It was, explicitly, a year with no icon or story. The character was the equivalent of Eyegor and the decayed pumpkin from 2018. It was entirely intentional and isn’t a factor of consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.