Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney+

They didn’t make it but I believe they own the distribution rights to the documentary. Not 100% sure. Good point on Indy. I would imagine they could reach a deal with paramount if they wanted to.
Paramount is sure to be cautious though, they've been burned by Disney before when it comes to Distribution. Shortly after Disney bought Marvel, they also swooped in and bought the distribution rights to Iron Man, Iron Man 2 and Captain America (all of which were released by Paramount). Disney didn't pay all that much in the grand scheme for those rights and what Disney DID pay pales in comparison to what they're worth today.

They didn’t make it but I believe they own the distribution rights to the documentary. Not 100% sure. Good point on Indy. I would imagine they could reach a deal with paramount if they wanted to.
Fun trivia: Disney paid zero dollars to t
Paramount is sure to be cautious though, they've been burned by Disney before when it comes to Distribution. Shortly after Disney bought Marvel, they also swooped in and bought the distribution rights to Iron Man, Iron Man 2 and Captain America (all of which were released by Paramount). Disney didn't pay all that much in the grand scheme for those rights and what Disney DID pay pales in comparison to what they're worth today.

I also wonder if Paramount has any bad blood with Disney over Indy, as to my understanding, the Indy IP was literally a throw-in with the Lucasfilm sale, meaning it was not even considered w/r/t the Lucasfilm valuation.

Oh absolutely. It’s still insane to think Disney only paid paramount $115 Million for the distribution rights to Iron Man 3 and The Avengers. The only way I see Disney pouring money into the Indy distribution rights is the next movie does well. Otherwise what’s the point. I’m sure Paramount is gonna want something big in return through.

I also wonder if Paramount has any bad blood with Disney over Indy, as to my understanding, the Indy IP was literally a throw-in with the Lucasfilm sale, meaning it was not even considered w/r/t the Lucasfilm valuation.
I mean, Paramount never owned the IP so if they wanna have beef with someone, it should be with George Lucas for giving away the IP at such an undervalued price.

Oh absolutely. It’s still insane to think Disney only paid paramount $115 Million for the distribution rights to Iron Man 3 and The Avengers. The only way I see Disney pouring money into the Indy distribution rights is the next movie does well. Otherwise what’s the point. I’m sure Paramount is gonna want something big in return through.
Yeah, totally forgot to mention IM3 and Avengers distribution rights as well. Paramount has to be kicking themselves for ever making that deal. Just between those two films, Paramount gave up $2.7B in box office revenue for $115M. This is one of those examples of what a truly great deal-making CEO Iger has been. He has his flaws, but this has never been one of them.

Last edited:
I mean, Paramount never owned the IP so if they wanna have beef with someone, it should be with George Lucas for giving away the IP at such an undervalued price.

Yeah, totally forgot to mention IM3 and Avengers distribution rights as well. Paramount has to be kicking themselves for ever making that deal. Just between those two films, Paramount gave up $2.7B in box office revenue for $115M. This is one of those examples of what a truly great deal-making CEO Iger has been. He has his flaws, but this has never been one of them.

Paramount must still be keeping themselves for that mishap which is the only reason why they would probably play hard ball with Disney for the distribution rights. The thing about Indy is the last film wasn’t that good and while a new film has been announced it’s still in development hell. Disney doesn’t really have any incentives to try and get those rights at the moment. This could all change with a new film however.

My understanding is that Paramount financed the four Indiana Jones movies and a 1992-93 TV show, unlike Fox's Star Wars sequels. That's why they want to continue retaining the distribution rights to the four films and a TV show and only agreed on ceding the future film rights to any Indiana Jones film.

So.... I watched One Day at Disney. Go in with low expectations and you’ll be fine. It’s very similar to a travel channel special as far as being a puff piece. Sterling K. Brown’s narration seems off, lots of sappy music, etc. I can’t say I recommend this documentary because of how it’s presented, but at the same time there was enough interesting things sprinkled here and there that it’s a good time waster at the very least.

My biggest thing I noticed was how much Iger is in this or is brought up. This isn’t a Disney documentary as much as an Iger one imo - he’s in this A LOT telling stories that make him seem “relatable” and basically his entire life story and history with the company. It also tries to push things like how diverse Disney is and how great it is to work there blah blah. Lots of eye roll moments.

The difference between this and The Imagineering Story though is night and day and that couldn’t be clearer.
—————————-
For the worthwhile moments...
  • There’s some Galaxy’s Edge footage (most is B-roll, but some of what is talked about is interesting)
  • A fun test Genie animation set to one of Robin Williams’ comedy routines
  • train geeks may like a DL railroad segment
  • footage of Iger as an anchorman :lol:
  • WDI segment showcasing the Roaming droid that tested in Tomorrowland. They say they are still trying to make him more reliable.
  • Veterinary stuff at Epcot and DAK
  • Marvel Visual Development/Costume segment

So.... I watched One Day at Disney. Go in with low expectations and you’ll be fine. It’s very similar to a travel channel special as far as being a puff piece. Sterling K. Brown’s narration seems off, lots of sappy music, etc. I can’t say I recommend this documentary because of how it’s presented, but at the same time there was enough interesting things sprinkled here and there that it’s a good time waster at the very least.

My biggest thing I noticed was how much Iger is in this or is brought up. This isn’t a Disney documentary as much as an Iger one imo - he’s in this A LOT telling stories that make him seem “relatable” and basically his entire life story and history with the company. It also tries to push things like how diverse Disney is and how great it is to work there blah blah. Lots of eye roll moments.

The difference between this and The Imagineering Story though is night and day and that couldn’t be clearer.
—————————-
For the worthwhile moments...
  • There’s some Galaxy’s Edge footage (most is B-roll, but some of what is talked about is interesting)
  • A fun test Genie animation set to one of Robin Williams’ comedy routines
  • train geeks may like a DL railroad segment
  • footage of Iger as an anchorman :lol:
  • WDI segment showcasing the Roaming droid that tested in Tomorrowland. They say they are still trying to make him more reliable.
  • Veterinary stuff at Epcot and DAK
  • Marvel Visual Development/Costume segment

It sounds like a recruitment tool.

In a similar vein, where are the CHRONICLES OF NARNIA rights at currently? Adapting the complete series, in chronological order, would be perfect for a "prestige" Disney+ fantasy series, especially since it doesn't seem viable as a theatrical film franchise.

Neither BBC nor Disney/Fox were able to get to the final few books.

In a similar vein, where are the CHRONICLES OF NARNIA rights at currently? Adapting the complete series, in chronological order, would be perfect for a "prestige" Disney+ fantasy series, especially since it doesn't seem viable as a theatrical film franchise.

Neither BBC nor Disney/Fox were able to get to the final few books.

Officially, the Lewis's Company and Netflix have an agreement on projects based on all 7 of the books.

I hope Rick gets a chance to properly do Percy Jackson. It could be a perfect platform on Disney+, especially if it gets treated to a level like Potter or His Dark Materials.

I love this news, especially since this is something I've been asking for years. I hope it's more like how Netflix handled A Series of Unfortunate Events where the showrunners work closely with the author.

Officially, the Lewis's Company and Netflix have an agreement on projects based on all 7 of the books.

I hope Rick gets a chance to properly do Percy Jackson. It could be a perfect platform on Disney+, especially if it gets treated to a level like Potter or His Dark Materials.

As much as I love the Potter movies, they pale compared to the books because of all the storylines that had to be dropped to fit an average movie's running time. TV gives you a lot more flexibility in that regard.

screen_shot_2019-12-16_at_3.42.56_pm.png

Disney+ Subscribers Say They're Watching More Classic Films Than 'Star Wars' | Hollywood Reporter

Among the Millennial subscriber group (ages 23-38) about 25 percent of respondents cited Disney classics as their most viewed category, as opposed to Star Wars (19 percent), Marvel (14 percent) or Pixar (13 percent).

Subscribers in the Generation Z group (ages 18-22) were most likely to cite Disney Channel content (like Lizzie McGuire) or Pixar titles as their most viewed. And Star Wars was the most watched category cited by Disney+ subscribers in the Gen X (39-54) age group as well as the Boomer (55-79) group.

screen_shot_2019-12-16_at_3.40.33_pm.png

screen_shot_2019-12-16_at_3.42.56_pm.png

Disney+ Subscribers Say They're Watching More Classic Films Than 'Star Wars' | Hollywood Reporter

Among the Millennial subscriber group (ages 23-38) about 25 percent of respondents cited Disney classics as their most viewed category, as opposed to Star Wars (19 percent), Marvel (14 percent) or Pixar (13 percent).

Subscribers in the Generation Z group (ages 18-22) were most likely to cite Disney Channel content (like Lizzie McGuire) or Pixar titles as their most viewed. And Star Wars was the most watched category cited by Disney+ subscribers in the Gen X (39-54) age group as well as the Boomer (55-79) group.

screen_shot_2019-12-16_at_3.40.33_pm.png

No surprise, the Simpsons has the least lower viewers out of all of the entertainment-related categories on Disney +. Most kids today are not as interested in the Simpsons on the service when they have plenty of relevant, fun-like options out there, especially since the show has been running since 1989 and people already grew out of it.