Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so! Ill put here the information I have uncovered about this clue:
This is a painting of Mary Hayley's daughter, Dinah Haley. Dinah is also known as "Lady Baker". Mary Hayley is responsible for one of the ships that was present at the Boston Tea Party. Mary's husband Samuel Storke Jr would become leader of one of the major trade firms that would trade with New England and the British West Indies.
Names of Hayley's ships were: Abigail, The America, and the Egmont. Hayley would end up forming the British Southern Whale Fishery. Little is known about Dinah, the one pictured in the painting, but there were issues between Mary and Dinah. They had arguments over a will, and who would inherit what. Quoting wikipedia "In 1783, Dinah had married a captain of the Devon Militia, Robert Baker, whom [Mary] Hayley considered a fortune-hunter because he was deeply in debt. To escape his creditors, he had taken Dinah to Saint-Omer, France, and filed suit to collect Dinah's inheritance from Hayley. After arriving in Boston and hearing of the impending birth of her first grand child, Hayley sent money to the couple and a conciliatory note"

There's obviously a lot more, but that stuff does have a lot to unpack. Possibly "Abigail" or "Egmont" means something? That or information about the whole will issue as well as the man that Dinah ended up marrying. As well, Saint-Omer, France could mean something too.
Egmont Means Fearsome Protection. Could Fear return to HHN 30?

I guess we're picking up speed.

Clue

170px-Dinah_Haley.jpg

Can you answer me a question please Legacy? You've given 3 clues now. Are the 3 clues all to 1 answer? Or are they 3 clues to 3 separate answers?

Reason I ask, I have an alternate hypothesis to my earlier posts IF the first 2 clues you gave are both tied into the same answer.

I won't ask for anything specific, but it would be really nice to know if we're chasing 1, 2, or 3 answers right now.

Thank you Legacy!

I guess we're picking up speed.

Clue

170px-Dinah_Haley.jpg

IF this is a clue to a brand new answer, here would be my first blush attempt. I haven't put too much thought into this yet, so this is kind of a first run. The final answer I come up with here probably is NOT happening for reasons that are obvious when I finish, but this is where the clues took me.

* So this is a painting of Dinah Hayley, daughter to a lady named Mary Hayley.
* Mary Hayley was born Mary Wilkes.
* In 1992, there was a mini-series named "Intruders" which revolved partly around a woman named...Mary Wilkes (same spelling and everything).
* The series dealt with alien abduction - so I went that route for about 20 minutes but couldn't really piece anything together on that front, so I gave up on it FOR NOW regarding a house. However, if it is in reference to a Scare Zone, Alien Abduction would fit the bill.
* So, if it is a house, we're back to "Intruders". The woman that played Mary Wilkes in the mini-series is none other than Mare Winningham (who I find to be a very underrated actress, but I digress).
* Mare Winningham was in a couple of '80s movies that I really dig. Much more recently in his career, however, she has been a staple on...American Horror Story (she was on 14 episodes spanning 5 years as 4 different characters).

*** So, my final answer FOR NOW is some version of American Horror Story (could be AMS 1984 or a mash-up house or something like that). HOWEVER, we know the inherent problems with Universal getting an AMS house given the Disney/Fox merger. So I highly doubt I'm right on this. But, this is where the bread crumbs led me.

I will try and dig around into some other possibilities (which I'm sure there are tons of) in time. I'm also reworking my Nun/Conjuring guess a little bit that I'll circle back to. But for this clue, this is what I have at the moment.

*****EDIT: Given Legacy's helpful hint that the clues don't necessarily revolve around houses, this could also be a scarezone clue involving Alien Abduction or Aliens or something. I quite enjoyed the Invasion! Scarezone back at HHN27. I wonder if this could be a follow-up to that in some capacity since it's an anniversary year and all.

Last edited:
Can you answer me a question please Legacy? You've given 3 clues now. Are the 3 clues all to 1 answer? Or are they 3 clues to 3 separate answers?

Reason I ask, I have an alternate hypothesis to my earlier posts IF the first 2 clues you gave are both tied into the same answer.

I won't ask for anything specific, but it would be really nice to know if we're chasing 1, 2, or 3 answers right now.

Thank you Legacy!
Three different answers.

Also, for the sake of honest emphasis, the clues aren’t necessarily for houses either.

IF this is a clue to a brand new answer, here would be my first blush attempt. I haven't put too much thought into this yet, so this is kind of a first run. The final answer I come up with here probably is NOT happening for reasons that are obvious when I finish, but this is where the clues took me.

* So this is a painting of Dinah Hayley, daughter to a lady named Mary Hayley.
* Mary Hayley was born Mary Wilkes.
* In 1992, there was a mini-series named "Intruders" which revolved partly around a woman named...Mary Wilkes (same spelling and everything).
* The series dealt with alien abduction - so I went that route for about 20 minutes but couldn't really piece anything together on that front, so I gave up on it FOR NOW regarding a house. However, if it is in reference to a Scare Zone, Alien Abduction would fit the bill.
* So, if it is a house, we're back to "Intruders". The woman that played Mary Wilkes in the mini-series is none other than Mare Winningham (who I find to be a very underrated actress, but I digress).
* Mare Winningham was in a couple of '80s movies that I really dig. Much more recently in his career, however, she has been a staple on...American Horror Story (she was on 14 episodes spanning 5 years as 4 different characters).

*** So, my final answer FOR NOW is some version of American Horror Story (could be AMS 1984 or a mash-up house or something like that). HOWEVER, we know the inherent problems with Universal getting an AMS house given the Disney/Fox merger. So I highly doubt I'm right on this. But, this is where the bread crumbs led me.

I will try and dig around into some other possibilities (which I'm sure there are tons of) in time. I'm also reworking my Nun/Conjuring guess a little bit that I'll circle back to. But for this clue, this is what I have at the moment.

*****EDIT: Given Legacy's helpful hint that the clues don't necessarily revolve around houses, this could also be a scarezone clue involving Alien Abduction or Aliens or something. I quite enjoyed the Invasion! Scarezone back at HHN27. I wonder if this could be a follow-up to that in some capacity since it's an anniversary year and all.
You said Mary three times...Isn't that bad or something?

Also, I'm not sure why Legacy is being so cryptic about Walking Dead returning

In all seriousness, I hope all this means we get a new female icon.

You said Mary three times...Isn't that bad or something?

Also, I'm not sure why Legacy is being so cryptic about Walking Dead returning

In all seriousness, I hope all this means we get a new female icon.

I haven't caught on to Walking Dead hints. Depends on when the new movie even comes out.

Okay so! Ill put here the information I have uncovered about this clue:
This is a painting of Mary Hayley's daughter, Dinah Haley. Dinah is also known as "Lady Baker". Mary Hayley is responsible for one of the ships that was present at the Boston Tea Party. Mary's husband Samuel Storke Jr would become leader of one of the major trade firms that would trade with New England and the British West Indies.
Names of Hayley's ships were: Abigail, The America, and the Egmont. Hayley would end up forming the British Southern Whale Fishery. Little is known about Dinah, the one pictured in the painting, but there were issues between Mary and Dinah. They had arguments over a will, and who would inherit what. Quoting wikipedia "In 1783, Dinah had married a captain of the Devon Militia, Robert Baker, whom [Mary] Hayley considered a fortune-hunter because he was deeply in debt. To escape his creditors, he had taken Dinah to Saint-Omer, France, and filed suit to collect Dinah's inheritance from Hayley. After arriving in Boston and hearing of the impending birth of her first grand child, Hayley sent money to the couple and a conciliatory note"

There's obviously a lot more, but that stuff does have a lot to unpack. Possibly "Abigail" or "Egmont" means something? That or information about the whole will issue as well as the man that Dinah ended up marrying. As well, Saint-Omer, France could mean something too.
In The Crucible, a character called Abigail accuses Tituba for CONJURING spirts for the devil.

While this is less about pointed house speculation, it has occurred to me that in the past few years Universal has had a property that would “make my mom interested”, like Stranger Things, Ghostbusters, AHS — and it’s doesn’t seem like there’s a consensus on a “mom” house this year, if there will be one at all... Just a little thought rattling in my head.

While this is less about pointed house speculation, it has occurred to me that in the past few years Universal has had a property that would “make my mom interested”, like Stranger Things, Ghostbusters, AHS — and it’s doesn’t seem like there’s a consensus on a “mom” house this year, if there will be one at all... Just a little thought rattling in my head.
Now I want a house based on your mom

I think we should just go with the idea of "something a parent may watch with their high schoolers" or something like that. This can include Ghostbusters, Stranger Things, Walking Dead, etc..
This topic is getting a bit wild in my opinion? If it weren't an anniversary year, I would say to expect by now some big property that people who are not specifically into horror would enjoy. I don't know if Horror Adjacent is the proper term, but anyways. It'll be a bit different to guess what 30 will hold. I do expect far more originals than ips at least in my eyes. Maybe one super big name one. Possibly on the same level as The Shining. I don't think IT is a possibility. I'd imagine it's something that also has never been seen at the event.

Yeah, what I mean is not family friendly (and I never claimed it as being such), but rather something that a family member might ask you saying “Have you seen The ______”? (The Stranger Things, The American Horror Story, etc.) And, to be fair, one of my moms loves AHS and the other can only watch the music-heavy episodes.

Every year, I see promo videos posted by UO of older women coming in pairs or groups with a quote like “We come to Horror Nights all the way from (New York, England, Texas) every year. They completely outdo themselves each year”. To me, this is a group that is similar to my Mom’s friends, where one is really into horror, but the others are going for the excuse to go on a trip, drink moderately, and see “the Mom house”. That’s what I meant. Sure hope that isn’t beyond asinine, it’s just an observation.

Yeah, what I mean is not family friendly (and I never claimed it as being such), but rather something that a family member might ask you saying “Have you seen The ______”? (The Stranger Things, The American Horror Story, etc.) And, to be fair, one of my moms loves AHS and the other can only watch the music-heavy episodes.

Every year, I see promo videos posted by UO of older women coming in pairs or groups with a quote like “We come to Horror Nights all the way from (New York, England, Texas) every year. They completely outdo themselves each year”. To me, this is a group that is similar to my Mom’s friends, where one is really into horror, but the others are going for the excuse to go on a trip, drink moderately, and see “the Mom house”. That’s what I meant. Sure hope that isn’t beyond asinine, it’s just an observation.

Would Beetlejuice be a big enough name?
They can always just go the cheap route and mashup ST or WD—don’t think either would have the impact that they did their first couple of years of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.