Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replace the floo ride with DK and your list is the same as mine. I feel we know a decent amount about these 3 rides where Fantastic Beasts and HHTYD I don’t know enough about the attractions yet to fully judge.
THTough HTTYD speculation was pretty concrete (Hagrid Esque coaster but longer and more tame, flying theater where screen is also below you)

Also wanna note there seems to be a line that goes around the perimeter of the rectangle of land that hosts the HTTYD sky fly with some sort of ride vehicle looking things on the line on the side of the rectangle across from the sky fly, I feel like it may be like that brown bear ride from wildwood grove

THTough HTTYD speculation was pretty concrete (Hagrid Esque coaster but longer and more tame, flying theater where screen is also below you)
I guess that’s true. I’d still keep my list the same but the flying theatre one doesn’t sound too exciting. Hoping, if this ride is true, it can separate itself enough from Soarin/Flight of Passage. I’ve always thought if they could somehow have a mix of rotating sets and screens that fly through (simulated, so sets move as if you’re flying over them but in reality the sets are on massive round table or something) would be fun. No clue if there’s even tech out there for that but a man can dream.

Just curious, if speculation is correct, what are everybody’s three most anticipated rides

1. Classic Monsters
2. Mario Kart
3. Whatever remaining attraction is the most dark ride-ish/filled with animatronics, detailed sets, physical effects (hopefully that's one or both of the Fantastic Beasts rides)

I honestly don’t think the FB ride will be Floo-based — after all, we’ve already experience Floo in FJ when we are transported to the Observatory and then from the a Great Hall to the Room of Requirement.

Also, as for a Mario Kart attraction, let’s remember that they have to set up some sort of a story - or rather, it would make a lot of sense for them to set up a good story for the ride. The most obvious idea would be that Peach has been kidnapped and somehow we are racing to save her, but there have been so many iterations of Mario where Bowser and Mario are truly just friendly rivals and they compete for fun. It’ll be interesting to see how they treat the characters in the ride, or if there will be any sort of MacGuffin we’ll be racing for. It would be very cute if we were trying to rescue something/get something from Bowser’s castle and, as part of an interactive queue, we had to help Captain Toad and his friends progress through various puzzles in the castle using Nintendo Switch compatible micro-games.

I also wonder — are the same people who are deeply upset about RotR’s use of the new trilogy in stead of the original one going to be the same people that get upset at Epic for using the wrong Wizarding World location, the wrong Berk location, or the wrong locale in Mario? It seems like the fans of these properties aren’t going to be as rabid about “doing the source material justice”, and perhaps this puts universal at an advantage because there are “lower expectations”...?

Also, as for a Mario Kart attraction, let’s remember that they have to set up some sort of a story - or rather, it would make a lot of sense for them to set up a good story for the ride.
The story is you're competing in a kart race tournament.
The most obvious idea would be that Peach has been kidnapped and somehow we are racing to save her, but there have been so many iterations of Mario where Bowser and Mario are truly just friendly rivals and they compete for fun. It’ll be interesting to see how they treat the characters in the ride, or if there will be any sort of MacGuffin we’ll be racing for.
The MacGuffin is a trophy.
It would be very cute if we were trying to rescue something/get something from Bowser’s castle and, as part of an interactive queue, we had to help Captain Toad and his friends progress through various puzzles in the castle using Nintendo Switch compatible micro-games.
They could set that up completely separate from the ride narrative.
I also wonder — are the same people who are deeply upset about RotR’s use of the new trilogy in stead of the original one going to be the same people that get upset at Epic for using the wrong Wizarding World location, the wrong Berk location, or the wrong locale in Mario? It seems like the fans of these properties aren’t going to be as rabid about “doing the source material justice”, and perhaps this puts universal at an advantage because there are “lower expectations”...?
The big difference is that, even if it's "wrong," it's still accurate and is still using characters fully established in the land they're inhabiting. That's the difference Whether Potter fans like Beasts or not, they will have seen Paris and the story that takes place there. Same with Berk. Mushroom Kingdom is Mario, so there isn't really a "wrong" with that. A connection already exists.

Conversely, Batuu never existed in the films so ANY connection between the land and the characters is conceptual rather than experienced. I think, more than anything, that's why SWGE got a bit of a cooler response - it's not so much the characters as it the lack of connection. It makes the decision to NOT employ the established Original Trilogy characters appear far more cynical, especially when everything is "almost" Tatooine or Endor. Frankly, even putting the new characters on an original trilogy location would have likely caused a better reception.

I honestly don’t think the FB ride will be Floo-based — after all, we’ve already experience Floo in FJ when we are transported to the Observatory and then from the a Great Hall to the Room of Requirement.

Also, as for a Mario Kart attraction, let’s remember that they have to set up some sort of a story - or rather, it would make a lot of sense for them to set up a good story for the ride. The most obvious idea would be that Peach has been kidnapped and somehow we are racing to save her, but there have been so many iterations of Mario where Bowser and Mario are truly just friendly rivals and they compete for fun. It’ll be interesting to see how they treat the characters in the ride, or if there will be any sort of MacGuffin we’ll be racing for. It would be very cute if we were trying to rescue something/get something from Bowser’s castle and, as part of an interactive queue, we had to help Captain Toad and his friends progress through various puzzles in the castle using Nintendo Switch compatible micro-games.

With regards to SWGE and the Fantastic Beasts land/HTTYD/SNW Locales:

1: Universal has already made 2 lands and several rides with the OG Harry Potter characters and locations, Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley. They didn't do Fantastic Beasts first, nor did they chose to do an "original Wizarding world" concept. They put us right into the films. At DHS we only have Star Tours for any content not relating to the Disney Trilogy.

2: Even though its not as popular, Fantastic Beasts is technically its own franchise or an expansion on the wizarding world, where the Disney Trilogy for Star Wars is still a part of the main Skywalker saga. So its not the "wrong" wizarding world locale. Also, the setting is Paris, which is famous for many reasons other than Fantastic Beasts, so this should appeal to masses beyond the Potter franchise.

3: Im not sure the location for HTTYD has been revealed yet, but New Berk would be a tad disappointing.

4: Im a massive Nintendo fan, and to me, they seemed to have hit the nail on the head for the Mushroom Kingdom. To consolidate all of Nintendo into the land they seemed to have, is quite impressive. Plus we still have Peach's Castle, Bowser's Castle, and DK Kingdom.

In general, I think Disney completely missed on the connection to Star Wars. They made a very nice land, with arguably the best ride in the world that does embody Star Wars, but the land itself does not do the property justice. Thats just my opinion, and I don't think its as comparable to the other lands here at Epic Universe. With no disrespect, HTTYD is NOT Star Wars. So flexibility there may indeed be more warranted/accepted.

TLDR; It'd be like Universal opening up Fantastic Beasts land FIRST, and before (if ever) Hogsmeade and Diagon. Instead, they've done those, so now they're moving onto others. I just don't think they're quite the same thing in my personal opinion where Disney could've done ANYTHING Star Wars and they built Batuu around a trilogy no one cares about. In my opinion, they're just not comparable.

I think MK is self explanatory truthfully

Also, let's not pretend like Universal is any good at telling stories, they are often convoluted, awkward, or half baked

I think MK is self explanatory truthfully

Also, let's not pretend like Universal is any good at telling stories, they are often convoluted, awkward, or half baked
The only thing at this next park that could pull off storytelling that’s anything close to Rise is probably the Monsters ride in Frankie’s Castle. I could see a very elaborate pre show/multiple pre shows explaining how his Granddaughter is awakening the monsters, with the actual awakening being in Dr Frankenstein’s Labratory. Could get the same feeling of urgency/excitement and immersive storytelling.

How deep do we think the storytelling will be for the Celestial Gardens? port of entry has a fun back story and I believe there were reports of universal being more confident with original characters/locations after toothsome’s positive response

We can already see their confidence with Frankenstein’s Granddaughter (who I’m excited for)

Last edited:
How deep do we think the storytelling will be for the Celestial Gardens? port of entry has a fun back story and I believe there were reports of universal being more confident with original characters/locations after toothsome’s positive response

We can already see their confidence with Frankenstein’s Granddaughter (who I’m excited for)
I have high hopes for that. To have such a large area based on no IP is so exciting to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.