Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Fourth Quarter 2019 Comcast Results (Theme Parks)

Mad Dog

Premium Member
Jan 30, 2013
Pittsburgh area
Comcast posted a 3.2 % revenue increase for their theme parks during the fourth quarter of 2019. Revenue of 1.6 Billion for US & Japan parks. They attributed the increase to increased guest spending. Adjusted EPITDA decreased 4.5% to 636 million in the 4th quarter, reflecting higher revenue, more than offset by higher operating expenses.....They did not mention an attendance increase, as they are wont to do when attendance increases, which indicates that attendance was probably flat for the quarter..............For the 12 months ended Dec. 31, 2019, revenue from the theme parks segment increased 4.4% to 5.9 Billion due to increases in guest spending and higher attendance, Adjusted EBITD of 2.5 Billion was consistent with the prior year period reflecting an increase in revenue, offset by the higher operating expenses.

Last edited:
They must be happy guests are spending more in general, especially with the power up bands and Mario hats about to be for sale in Japan. Not sure if this is just related to the US parks though.

Maybe Green Eggs and Ham is really plussing Universal's cash flow! More tots for everybody!

They must be happy guests are spending more in general, especially with the power up bands and Mario hats about to be for sale in Japan. Not sure if this is just related to the US parks though.

Maybe Green Eggs and Ham is really plussing Universal's cash flow! More tots for everybody!
The reports include the Hollywood, Orlando and Osaka theme parks division. Singapore is not included since it is not owned by Comcast/Universal. Universal did not directly comment on attendance at the USA individual parks, so it's just a guess which USA individual parks may have had negative or flat attendance, or if it was just overall numbers due to Japan's continuing softness. Universal indicated attendance softness at Osaka again, which seems to have been soft for the last 18 months. Earlier it was somewhat weather related, but I don't know if that's the entire issue there. Mario opening in the summer should help the park, I would guess..........Sometimes, what they don't say speaks more. EXAMPLE: During 2018's 4th quarter report Universal bragged that they had record HHN attendance at Orlando. This year 4th quarter report there was no mention of HHN attendance. .

Last edited:
The reports include the Hollywood, Orlando and Osaka theme parks division. Singapore is not included since it is not owned by Comcast/Universal. Universal did not directly comment on attendance at the USA individual parks, so it's just a guess which USA individual parks may have had negative or flat attendance, or if it was just due to Japan's continuing softness. Universal indicated attendance softness at Osaka again, which seems to have been soft for the last 18 months. Earlier it was somewhat weather related, but I don't know if that's the entire issue there. Mario opening in the summer should help the park, I would guess.
I have to wonder if Nintendo opening has held people off from going to this park. Its been well known I think for a year or so now that spring/summer 2020 opening for SNW is happening. Wouldn't shock me if thats part of the issue attendance wise or at least contributing to the "softness".

I have to wonder if Nintendo opening has held people off from going to this park. Its been well known I think for a year or so now that spring/summer 2020 opening for SNW is happening. Wouldn't shock me if thats part of the issue attendance wise or at least contributing to the "softness".
I had the same thought.

This is somewhat less interesting, but they also reported 2019 capex of 1.1 billion just for construction of Universal Resort Beijing.

Not great results for the Universal parks....or the Universal Films (down 21%), but Nintendo opening in Japan this summer should help the second half of 2020.....Film division sucks lately, though......I'm also guessing that Hollywood park attendance and revenue was flat or negative for the fourth quarter due to 2 red flags, * Entertainment cuts during the Holiday Season and * Universal cut the price of Annual Passes

Cats honestly has to be a major % of that -21% earnings for Universal pictures. I mean they lost like what, $200 million? Not off to a great start here in 2020 with Doolittle. Hoping The Turning, The Photograph, and The Invisible Man turn out some profits.

Cats honestly has to be a major % of that -21% earnings for Universal pictures. I mean they lost like what, $200 million? Not off to a great start here in 2020 with Doolittle. Hoping The Turning, The Photograph, and The Invisible Man turn out some profits.
Cat's probably had little to do with it since it's essentially a 2020 final results yet to come film. That won't help this and the next quarter.

Doesn't sound too bad, still making :poopdance:eek:f $$$

Would have been worse if SWGE had opened sucessfully on both coasts.

Cat's probably had little to do with it since it's essentially a 2020 final results yet to come film. That won't help this and the next quarter.
Oh dear God, they haven't even equated for it yet :lol: I really hope they're realizing that pushing back Wicked as many times as they have is likely going to come back to bite em.

Universal Pictures has a pretty dismal future I feel

Universal Parks are fine, but are going to explode again when Nintendo/Epic comes through
Uni’s movie studio has, the last few years, succeeded by being the anti Disney, largely. Smaller, focused films vs the big tent poles. Cats and Doolittle are the opposite of that, and I think we won’t see many like them in the future.

Uni’s movie studio has, the last few years, succeeded by being the anti Disney, largely. Smaller, focused films vs the big tent poles. Cats and Doolittle are the opposite of that, and I think we won’t see many like them in the future.
They have success in waves unfortunately...I was hoping Comcast would be more quality control, but then we get Cats

I know it's more complicated then that, but it seems like a chicken with its head cut off that slams into a bookshelf knocking a hit loose every once in a while

if universal tries to cheap out on a ride because of cats sucking I would be pissed. Otherwise.they deserve it.
The two have no bearing on one another.
They have success in waves unfortunately...I was hoping Comcast would be more quality control, but then we get Cats

I know it's more complicated then that, but it seems like a chicken with its head cut off that slams into a bookshelf knocking a hit loose every once in a while
I mean, even Disney releases a horrible flop almost once a year. Hell, TROS made a billion dollars and is widely considered an overall failure.