Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

New Sci-Fi/Fantasy Hard Ticket Event?

Idk if they’re really trying to corner the gaming crowd with Nintendo and possibly Pokémon, based on how successful HHN is, idk how do you DONT do something like that. Sounds like an absolute winner of an idea to me. Either have Pokémon Go around the park, other interactive activities set up, maybe some show, it could be huge imo.
Yes, you can do all of that without charging a hard ticket

If the intention is to create something like the after hours parties at MK and Disneyland, I would argue that Universal is a different animal

Yes, you can do all of that without charging a hard ticket

If the intention is to create something like the after hours parties at MK and Disneyland, I would argue that Universal is a different animal
I could totally see it being a Harry Potter Celebration type thing, but idk once EU opens they're already going to have people on campus and will want them there for a full week, I don't see why January/February can't possibly have a more hard ticket even devoted to this. Not many other events like that going on in the parks, could be a good Christmas gift type thing for families, and with SNW and hopefully one day Pokemon and/or Zelda, you have the lands to promote across all your parks too. Idk I see both ways on this, hard ticket or not this just simply makes sense to me. Also if its a hard ticket, maybeee they could spread it across two parks. Same amount of prep/building but just spread it all out. Idk I'm not creative on that side but I just think this makes sense. Gamers would pay extra if the event justified itself.

I could totally see it being a Harry Potter Celebration type thing, but idk once EU opens they're already going to have people on campus and will want them there for a full week, I don't see why January/February can't possibly have a more hard ticket even devoted to this. Not many other events like that going on in the parks, could be a good Christmas gift type thing for families, and with SNW and hopefully one day Pokemon and/or Zelda, you have the lands to promote across all your parks too. Idk I see both ways on this, hard ticket or not this just simply makes sense to me. Also if its a hard ticket, maybeee they could spread it across two parks. Same amount of prep/building but just spread it all out. Idk I'm not creative on that side but I just think this makes sense. Gamers would pay extra if the event justified itself.
I'm not sure the benefit would outweigh the cost

With HHN it's guarunteed returns, therefore, they spend a ton on it

With a "90's Night" or "Villains Night" type event, I'm not sure Universal has the audience

I'm not sure the benefit would outweigh the cost

With HHN it's guarunteed returns, therefore, they spend a ton on it

With a "90's Night" or "Villains Night" type event, I'm not sure Universal has the audience
Id imagine it'd involved gaming and interactivity, and gamers love trying to beat their scores, play games again, etc. I think for a gaming type event it could be a total sell and like HHN, if done well, get guarunteed returns.

Edit: I also genuinely believe once we see Nintendo implemented that Universal will be very much more on peoples radar than it is now. Maybe wishful thinking from a fan but idk man, Nintendo is massive and if Mario Kart is good then I think this could be a bigger sell then Harry tbh, especially with Pokemon too. Pokemon fans SHOW UP

HHN takes round-the-year planning, production, and operation. I’m skeptical that they can just have another hard ticket of that caliber without seriously disrupting HHN or regular BOH operations. Pretty much the only windows that makes any sense are January or May, and even those have their problems.

It‘s not like the perpetual festivals at Epcot where they just drag some booths out, hook up some kitchen equipment, and wait for the drunks to show up.
Expand the design team and do the event in a different park and options open up immensely. Would it be the size of HHN? Absolutely not. But two well-themed, “Sleep No More” style walkthroughs, three prop walkthroughs, pop-up games and a weekend of panels is completely feasible at Studios even within HHN’s current build schedule. Run it for two/three weeks in May (between Mardi Gras and Summer Concert Series) and suddenly you have nearly a full year of special events.

Expand the design team and do the event in a different park and options open up immensely. Would it be the size of HHN? Absolutely not. But two well-themed, “Sleep No More” style walkthroughs, three prop walkthroughs, pop-up games and a weekend of panels is completely feasible at Studios even within HHN’s current build schedule. Run it for two/three weeks in May (between Mardi Gras and Summer Concert Series) and suddenly you have nearly a full year of special events.
Universal already has Grad Bash on weekends in April and May, which would complicate doing another event at that time.

I just can't see them doing another event until Epic Universe opens up. Disney can run more hard-ticket events because they have so many parks for the regular visitors to go to.

Unless this event happens at VB, I just can't see both USF and IoA being hard-ticket for part of the year. If the events run concurrent, they'll be a lot of regular guests who can't go to any park on certain days. If the events don't run concurrent, they'll be less days every year where regular guests can use their 2-park passes all day long.

Universal already has Grad Bash on weekends in April and May, which would complicate doing another event at that time.
Not really. Assuming Universal continues with Grad Bash (Disney got out of it for a reason), a day-time “con” could actually use a lot of the same resources (stages, especially).

Not when there's another park that probably won't be included in Grad Bash down the street.
Sure, but USF is still going to be the only park with designated facilities for hosting walkthrough/house type attractions if you want the event to include those like the survey indicated.
Not really. Assuming Universal continues with Grad Bash (Disney got out of it for a reason), a day-time “con” could actually use a lot of the same resources (stages, especially).
USF could definitely host a festival/con event that's included with park admission in April-May, but I don't see any availability for more hard ticket events at USF because:
Sept-Oct is HHN,
Nov-Dec is Christmas,
Jan is open, but too short to set up anything major,
Feb-Mar is Mardi Gras,
April-May is Grad events, and
Jun-Aug is peak summer season and major prep for HHN.

Maybe IOA could do a hard ticket event in Jan-Feb though?

Sure, but USF is still going to be the only park with designated facilities for hosting walkthrough/house type attractions if you want the event to include those like the survey indicated.

USF could definitely host a festival/con event that's included with park admission in April-May, but I don't see any availability for more hard ticket events at USF because:
Sept-Oct is HHN,
Nov-Dec is Christmas,
Jan is open, but too short to set up anything major,
Feb-Mar is Mardi Gras,
April-May is Grad events, and
Jun-Aug is peak summer season and major prep for HHN.

Maybe IOA could do a hard ticket event in Jan-Feb though?
The parks are still rented out as well between all of this

Am I the only one getting more Universal Cool Japan vibes from this?
No you aren't the only one, that's exactly what I was thinking

Imagine an interactive Ghostbusters walkthrough in the Mummy queue for a limited time

They turned the Tribute Store around to a creepy Bayou real quick, I think they could kill something like that

I would love to see this become a thing simply so I can see Pokemon/Zelda get sick walkthrough attractions, but I just can't see it drawing a huge crowd. A huge part of the HHN crowd is only there because their friends are and its fun to get scared. This event won't have that, it's gonna be primarily hyperfans. Not a bad crowd, but definitely not HHN level success.