Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Iron Gwazi (General Discussion)

I remember getting off of Mean Streak and thinking to myself "who the hell designed that awful layout". It was literally the most unthrilling, confusing wooden coaster I've ever ridden

totally agree. I remember my last ride...it was so rough and painful that halfway through the course I wanted off...and literally yanked on my restraint trying to get out because it was so bad. Out of the nearly 300 different coasters I’ve ridden, Mean Streak was one of the worst.

@IronGwazi

source.gif

Even if Iron Gwazi is slated for next year. The virus impact still won’t be enough for Busch to open it. The structure by then will be in bad shape (the wood suffering Florida heat, humidity, and constant rain), and SEAS do not have the money to advertise it. Most of all. Crowds. Attendance will be an issue. As by then, they will still operate at reduced capacity. Not enough for long waits.

IG will probably open in 2022 and will end up being a least favorite RMC

Last edited:
Even if Iron Gwazi is slated for next year. The virus impact still won’t be enough for Busch to open it. The structure by then will be in bad shape (the wood suffering Florida heat, humidity, and constant rain), and SEAS do not have the money to advertise it. Most of all. Crowds. Attendance will be an issue. As by then, they will still operate at reduced capacity. Not enough for long waits.

There's a lot going on here

bruh

Colossus, Mean Streak, a ton of other attractions who have had longer lifetimes than Gwazi, are perfectly fine RMCed. The doomsday talk on the state of Iron Gwazi...seems extremely pointless.

"The structure by then will be in bad shape (the wood suffering Florida heat, humidity, and constant rain)"

If any structure is going to be in "bad shape" just from one year in weather conditions, then they wouldn't have built it to begin with.

"Most of all. Crowds. Attendance will be an issue. As by then, they will still operate at reduced capacity. Not enough for long waits."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you trying to say that there's going to be big crowds for the ride, but the ride will still be at reduced capacity so it won't be able to handle the long waits it'll get? Or are you saying the crowds will be small to the point there won't be long waits for the ride and BG is wanting long waits for the ride and won't open it because of that?

....you don't know how coasters work, do you?

If anything, the structure will be in better shape next year because it hasn't had thousands of circuits worth of flex from daily use.

"The structure by then will be in bad shape (the wood suffering Florida heat, humidity, and constant rain)"

If any structure is going to be in "bad shape" just from one year in weather conditions, then they wouldn't have built it to begin with.

"Most of all. Crowds. Attendance will be an issue. As by then, they will still operate at reduced capacity. Not enough for long waits."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you trying to say that there's going to be big crowds for the ride, but the ride will still be at reduced capacity so it won't be able to handle the long waits it'll get? Or are you saying the crowds will be small to the point there won't be long waits for the ride and BG is wanting long waits for the ride and won't open it because of that?

I’m saying that SEAS pushed it to next year because of the pandemic. If they opened it now, it is a bad move. Let the virus die down and get tourism recover so they can advertise the ride at the right time. If this virus will end up worse. Iron Gwazi’s better in 2022

I’m saying that SEAS pushed it to next year because of the pandemic. If they opened it now, it is a bad move. Let the virus die down and get tourism recover so they can advertise the ride at the right time. If this virus will end up worse. Iron Gwazi’s better in 2022

2021 is a reasonable delay. 2022 is a different story. They won't leave a ride dormant for two years, pandemic or not. Besides, they're still building that Screaming Swing, right?

SEAS just got an extra half billion in credit to keep things moving. They are running commercials constantly for BGT and SWO here in Orlando and (on the weekends) both parks have been near capacity.

Iron Gwazi will open early 2021 (although I still think we may see it open for Christmas 2020).

As for the Screaming Swing, I'd guess it's still coming, but probably not until 2022. I get the impression that the new coasters and rides were under contract and partially paid for since preliminary construction work was underway at the parks with "2021" additions.

Last edited:
totally agree. I remember my last ride...it was so rough and painful that halfway through the course I wanted off...and literally yanked on my restraint trying to get out because it was so bad. Out of the nearly 300 different coasters I’ve ridden, Mean Streak was one of the worst.
Did you not ride Son of Beast? Because that made Mean Streak look like a kiddy coaster.

Did you not ride Son of Beast? Because that made Mean Streak look like a kiddy coaster.

That SoB!!! They should have just named "Jackhammer" or "Chiropractor's Delight". Mean Streak was bad but SoB literally could make you regret your decision to board for the rest of the day. While I don't know enough about coasters, I figure that Florida's weather cannot be much more harsh on structures than being on the shores of Lake Erie. Plus, as others have said, I don't think that two years from now someone will say, "Whoa!! How did we not recognize that the wood on this coaster would deteriorate?" I would bet dollars to dust that it was heavily treated or otherwise prepared for this.

Last edited:
I only rode SOB in it's prime. It was not a bad coaster. It is a shame it didn't hold up.

I also rode Mean Streak the year it opened and the year it closed. SV was a wise decision.