Theatrical Future/PVOD Thread | Page 21 | Inside Universal Forums

Theatrical Future/PVOD Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Here's the bigger news, that sadly, @Nick had pegged for a while now.

I totally missed the No Time To Die moved with everything that's been going on the past few days. Will be interesting what happens with Soul. I'm really thinking Disney+ Premiere Access, but wouldn't be surprised by a delay.

I totally missed the No Time To Die moved with everything that's been going on the past few days. Will be interesting what happens with Soul. I'm really thinking Disney+ Premiere Access, but wouldn't be surprised by a delay.
I'm honestly surprised that December still has Dune and Wonder Woman. I also think that one of Disney's animated films is gonna have to go on Disney+ unless they want to push films into 2022. They've already locked up their Spring, Summer, and Holiday animated release dates. Two Pixar films and two princess films in the same year might be pushing it.

EDIT: But all original films though, hell yeah.

People are really risking their lives for a movie that can be seen with a Disney+ subscription and isn't really the type of movie to be improved by being on the big screen.

My wife and I have plans to go see this next weekend at one of the nearby theatres. They have the big reclining chairs and are leaving 2 empty between each party. Probably be a grand total of 15-20 people in the whole theatre. No more exposure there than at the grocery store.

Its lingering cabin fever, we haven't been to a good movie together in almost a year now. Dinner and a $5 movie ticket to a seasonal flick we both enjoy is a fine way to spend a Saturday afternoon, and no more risky than stopping in for a gallon of milk on the way home from work.

Reactions: Mad Dog
My wife and I have plans to go see this next weekend at one of the nearby theatres. They have the big reclining chairs and are leaving 2 empty between each party. Probably be a grand total of 15-20 people in the whole theatre. No more exposure there than at the grocery store.

Its lingering cabin fever, we haven't been to a good movie together in almost a year now. Dinner and a $5 movie ticket to a seasonal flick we both enjoy is a fine way to spend a Saturday afternoon, and no more risky than stopping in for a gallon of milk on the way home from work.

If your mask (and other peoples') masks are off to consume food, it actually is a considerably greater risk. Do what you are comfortable with, but be aware any scenario where your mask has to come off indoors - especially when you are stationary for an extended period of time - is a high risk scenario.

If your mask (and other peoples') masks are off to consume food, it actually is a considerably greater risk. Do what you are comfortable with, but be aware any scenario where your mask has to come off indoors - especially when you are stationary for an extended period of time - is a high risk scenario.
I agree that the risk level is above a lot of other activities, but I sit in an office daily with other non-mask wearing people, I visit various stores while wearing a mask, and do various outdoor activities with no mask. We take sensible precautions such as avoiding crowded stores, doing grocery pick up and only going in during odd hours when the store isn't crowded, and do not have contact with persons who have had even 2nd level contact with anyone showing symptoms of anything. We have no contact with at-risk persons, and no one we have direct contact with (close family) has contact with at-risk individuals.

I guess what I'm getting at is that for a lot of people, myself included, a socially distanced movie theatre lines up with an acceptable level of risk. A level of risk that my life is already at, and that we as a family deem a balance between full quarantine and 2019 lifestyle.

To keep the thread on track, I believe theatres are depending on persons in my demographic to attend and are in general doing what they can to maintain revenue and even if not operating in the black, operate at the smallest red number possible. Its certainly not a perfect solution for any party, but it seems to be working at some level. And because of the risk you mentioned I believe that Theatres will continue socially distancing and mask policy well into 2021, even after some other industries may have moved on.

I agree that the risk level is above a lot of other activities, but I sit in an office daily with other non-mask wearing people, I visit various stores while wearing a mask, and do various outdoor activities with no mask. We take sensible precautions such as avoiding crowded stores, doing grocery pick up and only going in during odd hours when the store isn't crowded, and do not have contact with persons who have had even 2nd level contact with anyone showing symptoms of anything. We have no contact with at-risk persons, and no one we have direct contact with (close family) has contact with at-risk individuals.

I guess what I'm getting at is that for a lot of people, myself included, a socially distanced movie theatre lines up with an acceptable level of risk. A level of risk that my life is already at, and that we as a family deem a balance between full quarantine and 2019 lifestyle.

To keep the thread on track, I believe theatres are depending on persons in my demographic to attend and are in general doing what they can to maintain revenue and even if not operating in the black, operate at the smallest red number possible. Its certainly not a perfect solution for any party, but it seems to be working at some level. And because of the risk you mentioned I believe that Theatres will continue socially distancing and mask policy well into 2021, even after some other industries may have moved on.
Going to a grocery store or doing some sort of outdoor activity is insanely less of a risk than sitting in a movie theater for 1.5-2 hours. That is unless you go into Wal-Mart and just plop down for a couple hours.

Respectfully, I'm not sure who you're trying to convince. If you feel comfortable doing it, then by all means, take the risk. I'd encourage you to wear your mask while in the theater.

The cratering domestic box office and imminent closure of Regal screens indicates most people are not ready to return, in large part because it is not inherently safe.

Figured i'd put together the remaining major releases left on the 2020 calendar:

November 20 - Soul
November 25 - Croods 2
December 11 - Free Guy
December 18 - Coming 2 America
December 18 - Death on the Nile
December 25 - Wonder Woman 1984

Soul and Croods 2 will have to either move later of go on-demand because theaters will probably be closed in November. However, I CAN see a possibility where Starting December 11th, maybe each studio puts out a movie here that they are willing to let lose a little bit of money? Honestly, the key is New York State theaters and LA need to be open. The fact that theaters have been kept from being open in New York has had a big impact on the industry, but also it's so odd. NY State has opened gyms, restaurants, bowling alleys, etc, but not even allowing movie theaters to open? That to me just doesn't make sense.

Figured i'd put together the remaining major releases left on the 2020 calendar:

November 20 - Soul
November 25 - Croods 2
December 11 - Free Guy
December 18 - Coming 2 America
December 18 - Death on the Nile
December 25 - Wonder Woman 1984

Soul and Croods 2 will have to either move later of go on-demand because theaters will probably be closed in November. However, I CAN see a possibility where Starting December 11th, maybe each studio puts out a movie here that they are willing to let lose a little bit of money? Honestly, the key is New York State theaters and LA need to be open. The fact that theaters have been kept from being open in New York has had a big impact on the industry, but also it's so odd. NY State has opened gyms, restaurants, bowling alleys, etc, but not even allowing movie theaters to open? That to me just doesn't make sense.

November - December - Nothing
Fixed that for you ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Mad Dog
LOL, so was I - I only canceled up to December ;) :shrug:
We'll see. I'm expecting movies to be cancelled until sometime next Summer, but I truly can see a scenario when there is December operation. Disney wants to get the Fox movies out so I think they would hold their dates. It's really about Wonder Woman. They kept it on December 25th today despite moving a ton of release dates around, so that's very interesting to me (and Free Guy is holding it's date, too). I think if the current December schedule holds, theaters will be open, but will Wonder Woman stay there? I honestly don't know. I would say probably not, but maybe WB just wants to release it and hope for the best with a Christmas Day release.

Reactions: Jamesh22

Due to the reduced slate, AMC may run out of cash as soon as end of the year. But they refused to close down. It's frustrating seeing them shoot themselves in the shoot, but I hope they can stop the cash bleed as much as possible without going under.

Due to the reduced slate, AMC may run out of cash as soon as end of the year. But they refused to close down. It's frustrating seeing them shoot themselves in the shoot, but I hope they can stop the cash bleed as much as possible without going under.
I'm sure they'll survive in some form...but the A will stand for Amazon.

As someone who has never run a businesss.....

I presume for a company like AMC currently, its FAR smarter and cost effective to totally shutdown, right? While they'd likely layoff a large amount of workers which would be devastating, is that not the awful position their in currently? Or have they just decided to say F it we'll be one of the only ones to stay open and hopefully make it thru the end of the year with enough cash flow to continue on thru 2021.

Thats my take on it, but I know I'm uninformed (as I am on many topics discussed here lol) but to me, shutting down now until Christmas to try again only makes sense.

Yeah, I don't know what AMC is staying open for. I mean, if you're going to stay open, maybe keep open your high performing locations (whatever high performing means these days), and close the rest. The slate is getting thinner and thinner with Soul, Coming 2 America, Dune and No Time to Die all gone basically within the past week or so. All that's left is Croods 2 (which has a 17 day window with AMC, which basically disincentivizes going to a theater), Free Guy, Death on the Nile and WW84.

I truly think Disney plans on letting the Fox movies play, but I don't think they will get the chance because the second that Wonder Woman 1984 vacates to 2021, AMC is going to have to close with there being just literally nothing new to see.

My friend feels this way and I don’t necessarily disagree or differ, but studios owning theatres with studios pairing up w/each other sounds possibly right. If they own the theatres and are paying rent, concessions aren’t the only thing paying the bill since ticket prices are your income as well.

Biggest issue with people at the movies is the expense. This would either lower the average ticket price, or lower concession price, or both. The current model I don’t think will return as Americans won’t be able to regularly afford it. I don’t know if I like the idea, but, this is one way to do it.

Unless you have an absolutely spectacular sound system (which only means you’re privileged and can afford it), then the movie theater experience is already the best way to watch a movie.
In your opinion. I have a Vizio TV and a Vizio sound system that are nothing special and would rather watch a movie at home every day of the week. Where I know my seat is clean, I can pause it when I have to use the bathroom, and snacks and drinks don’t feel like I’m paying a loan shark to get.

In your opinion. I have a Vizio TV and a Vizio sound system that are nothing special and would rather watch a movie at home every day of the week. Where I know my seat is clean, I can pause it when I have to use the bathroom, and snacks and drinks don’t feel like I’m paying a loan shark to get.
This is it right here. The nerds can argue aspect ratios and screen types and sound systems all day long, but at the end of the day, none of that matters. A movie isn't a social event for everyone, the theatergoing experience can bas as much a negative as a positive, and I think PVOD is going to wind up being even more normalized, and you'll see even more day-and-date home releases and shortened windows coming out of COVID.

Reactions: JoeCamel