Halloween Horror Nights 30 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors (2021) | Page 157 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 30 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors (2021)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All of the 2020 houses were able to be pushed. Eilish was never on the table for 2021 because of her marketing team’s efforts to change her image. She was never planned for 2021 and a new house was 100% going into that space this year, even without a pandemic.

The argument is “Eilish was suppose to be there, so the event needs a huge IP to replace her.” I’m pointing out that isn’t true for 2021 and anything could have been planned to go there expect an Eilish house.

If we're really digging into semantics, she and the rest of the line up were planned for HHN30. It needed to be delayed a year, but the planned HHN30 remains intact aside from her. Therefore, Eilish is being replaced for HHN30, regardless of when it actually happens.

You're right in that Season of the Witch wouldn't be a replacement had HHN30 happened last year. But that would just mean they would need headliners for HHN31, as well as find a way to promote the last of the Halloween reboot trilogy which was supposed to drop October 2021. Marketing is still going to want that marketing synergy, and still can't use the reboots for houses, so Season of the Witch with Michael could still be a likely possibility. Even more so if Hollywood had done it's H3 house in 2020 like planned and it was a hit.

Last edited:
Not to change the subject from the never-ending Halloween 3 discussion, but typically how many years have to go by before a house gets a sequel or reincarnated. I saw an account on Twitter post about Scarecrow: The Reaping at HHN27 and so bummed I missed out on that house. I was just wondering when the Scarecrows could make a return.

Not to change the subject from the never-ending Halloween 3 discussion, but typically how many years have to go by before a house gets a sequel or reincarnated. I saw an account on Twitter post about Scarecrow: The Reaping at HHN27 and so bummed I missed out on that house. I was just wondering when the Scarecrows could make a return.
I don't really think there's any set rule behind that, but I could definitely be wrong. We've had plenty of houses with sequels or rebirths in short spans of time (TWD's endless sequels, AWIL with only a one year gap between them, Havoc had a three year gap, etc).

There’s no set time: American Werewolf came back two years later and some never come back.

This'll be my first year doing HHN. I booked at Dockside for September 7-11 (great AP rates on 2-bedroom room). Anyway, I am a premier passholder -- are chances good that either the 9th or 10th would be a date for the free HHN night? Those were my only available dates for a trip during HHN, so I took a chance not knowing much about how it's been in the past. The 2019 dates looked like they covered early September dates.

Sorry. I’m not trying cause problems. I thought it was a valid point to make that the event doesn’t need an IP on the level of Eilish to balance things out since it wasn’t coming this year anyways. I mean, officially, Eilish was never even announced and the GP doesn’t know what’s missing.

Reactions: RevFreako
Sorry. I’m not trying cause problems. I thought it was a valid point to make that the event doesn’t need an IP on the level of Eilish to balance things out since it wasn’t coming this year anyways. I mean, officially, Eilish was never even announced and the GP doesn’t know what’s missing.
See, but that’s not the problem, whether or not the GP knows. When they plan an event they know which houses will be the draws. Eilish was planned as a giant draw for the younger crowd. Alongside Beetlejuice, and probably Hill House, it would have received top billing. Now there is an open spot for that demo and that top billing spot. It needs to be filled by something that can draw in that many people. Not all houses are going to be huge draws. Comparing it to 2021’s event is an absolute moot point because we are running 2020’s event this year. And to say that people didn’t know she was coming- all of her fan base knew she was coming.

If they want to draw in the younger crowd, they're really going to need to start pushing horror video games, shows, and celebrities into houses. Draw in the fandoms that intermingle with the horror fandom. Eilish would have been great for this before her image change but there are still dozens of fandoms that are primarily made of younger people for games, shows, and artists that have horror aspects. Bendy and the Ink Machine would have done well in 2018, Five Nights at Freddy's will still kill it, Welcome to Nightvale would have been great in 2016, etc. I mean, just look at how well American Horror Story and Stranger Things did. In other words, to draw in the younger audience they were trying to target with Eilish, they need to look at the fandoms of Tumblr, Twitter, and TikTok and see what's blowing up. They're not going to get the same effect with either Creepshow or Halloween.

Best chance they've got right now is hoping that some hype from the Beetlejuice Musical (another fandom that has a ton of younger people) is going to transfer over into excitement for the house, which is likely considering the rumours of the musical's return. But I honestly feel like if Universal goes forward with either Creepshow or H3 for the Eilish replacement, they're going to be missing out on drawing in the younger crowd to the same extent they did in the past 4 years.

I don’t think crowd draw matters for 2021. This will be their biggest year regardless of what IPs are present because everyone’s dying to get out and do something.
This is 100% accurate, I think this year will be very big for Universal and theme parks in general because everybody wants to feel a sense of normalcy after the past year. Going to HHN may provide that for some people, especially if HHN was already a tradition for them. It's more about getting new fans to the event though, as if you haven't been to HHN before and they aren't doing anything that interests you, you may not want to go in favor of something else, even if they're dying to do something. They'll find other options. That's where the draw for younger audiences comes in, if you want new fans, you need younger people to want to go. But altogether, excellent point. This year, HHN def does not need to worry about the overall crowd draw, just the specific subsection of drawing in a younger audience.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
I had a dream last night that someone handed me a confirmed list of scarezones. I don't remember what was on it though. I think there were 6 of them. Sorry everyone.

Back on topic: I do wish they would utilize that area in front of Transformers again for a scarezone. Killer Klownz worked well there because they didn't really need much space for the characters, van and shadow puppets. Even just a photo op area there would work.

Was there any speculation on if they're doing a lagoon show or not this year? If they are, a Halloween III section would be amazing with the strobing pumpkin commercial on the water screens + Silver Shamrock theme.

Along those lines, any word of a show in Fear Factor Live now that all signs point to a de facto distancing-free event? Too early to cast, but I would think any Universal-created show would have at least a solid outline if not an initial script by now. If a national performer, they should have a 2-month hole in their touring schedule. If something is coming, I'd think some hint would have leaked by now. On the flip side, I kind of dread an event that doesn't have 5 or 6 shows a night there to soak up a chunk of the crowd for an hour.

I think it should be noted that while Eilish appeals to teenagers and young adults, properties like Bendy, FNAF, Hello Neighbor, and other large online horror franchises primarily skew towards the preteen crowd and younger. And that is a big difference. While those franchises are not usually designed for that crowd, that is the group that props them up, very similar to Call of Duty, Fortnite, or Friday Night Funkin. Games able to be understood by kids that don't talk down to them. Teenagers/Young Adults have some disposable income, preteens and younger will rely on Mom and Dad.

I had a dream last night that someone handed me a confirmed list of scarezones. I don't remember what was on it though. I think there were 6 of them. Sorry everyone.

Back on topic: I do wish they would utilize that area in front of Transformers again for a scarezone. Killer Klownz worked well there because they didn't really need much space for the characters, van and shadow puppets. Even just a photo op area there would work.
You were supposed to be the chosen one! The Ghost of Halloween Future came to you with a vision and you forgot!?!? :doh:

I think a lot of people's issue with the Klowns zone was because it was so tight and the costumes so bulky, it almost felt like a photo op. I personally thought it was a pretty good zone, but I see where that crowd was coming from.

I think it should be noted that while Eilish appeals to teenagers and young adults, properties like Bendy, FNAF, Hello Neighbor, and other large online horror franchises primarily skew towards the preteen crowd and younger. And that is a big difference. While those franchises are not usually designed for that crowd, that is the group that props them up, very similar to Call of Duty, Fortnite, or Friday Night Funkin. Games able to be understood by kids that don't talk down to them. Teenagers/Young Adults have some disposable income, preteens and younger will rely on Mom and Dad.
I think that Eilish and the online horror franchises have some overlap in popularity among fans among those in their teen years, but I agree with your point (I'm 18 and I still love BATIM, but I know the primary audience for it seems to be more 13-15 year olds.)

The main point I was trying to make I suppose is that looking at online fandoms may be the way to get younger audiences going (Stranger Things and AHS have prominent online communities and were popular with young audiences.) I think the examples I used for those online communities may have not been the strongest though, as you're right about BATIM, FNAF, etc having popularity among kids/teens instead of young adults/teens. :lol:

Reactions: GA-MBIT
If they want to draw in the younger crowd, they're really going to need to start pushing horror video games, shows, and celebrities into houses. Draw in the fandoms that intermingle with the horror fandom. Eilish would have been great for this before her image change but there are still dozens of fandoms that are primarily made of younger people for games, shows, and artists that have horror aspects. Bendy and the Ink Machine would have done well in 2018, Five Nights at Freddy's will still kill it, Welcome to Nightvale would have been great in 2016, etc. I mean, just look at how well American Horror Story and Stranger Things did. In other words, to draw in the younger audience they were trying to target with Eilish, they need to look at the fandoms of Tumblr, Twitter, and TikTok and see what's blowing up. They're not going to get the same effect with either Creepshow or Halloween.

Best chance they've got right now is hoping that some hype from the Beetlejuice Musical (another fandom that has a ton of younger people) is going to transfer over into excitement for the house, which is likely considering the rumours of the musical's return. But I honestly feel like if Universal goes forward with either Creepshow or H3 for the Eilish replacement, they're going to be missing out on drawing in the younger crowd to the same extent they did in the past 4 years.
If Halloween 3 is too niche, what in the everloving flip is Nightvale?

Status
Not open for further replies.