Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (DHS)

Looking for advice - going to HS with my other annual passholder friend on Monday. We are trying to figure out the Rise boarding situation since we both have our tickets linked to our individual apps. We’re afraid to both try and get a boarding pass and be in completely different groups.

Any tips?

Looking for advice - going to HS with my other annual passholder friend on Monday. We are trying to figure out the Rise boarding situation since we both have our tickets linked to our individual apps. We’re afraid to both try and get a boarding pass and be in completely different groups.

Any tips?
Don't worry about getting separated. If you do Guest services can easily go and change you guys into the correct party.

So evidently Rise was down all day yesterday. Seems like a huge deal for Disney to have their flagship ride having so many issues. It the ride too technical that it is going to be an issue for the life of the ride?
It also got me thinking about the virtual line situation. I know everyone hates it and maybe it can be tweaked but it is probably the most efficient way to get as many people on the ride as possible. If the ride had a normal queue we would see 3+ hour waits all the time. With the ride being popular and a must ride every visit attraction it will be difficult to manage getting people on the ride. Now when Disneyland switched to the 7:00am and 12:00pm times it seemed to make it a little better. I think they can also add some random times throughout the day where people may be able to randomly check kinda like when a fast pass pops up unexpectedly. But at the end of the day demand will always outpace capacity.75E0D67D-4D20-46D2-BF4D-C4BA260A677B.jpeg

ROTR reopened yesterday but Touring Plans says it's still having significant technical issues.

<grumbles to self about having time last year to fix these things>

I get the idea of pushing the envelope on ride technology and all that and how innovention is good for the industry. Sometimes, you go too far and you wind up with a ride that is unreliable. People mock Intamin for this and it is somewhat deserved. RotR is in a similar position. It's impressive and blends ride tech with physical sets and screens so well. However, if it continues having technical issues, so what?

<grumbles to self about having time last year to fix these things>

I get the idea of pushing the envelope on ride technology and all that and how innovention is good for the industry. Sometimes, you go too far and you wind up with a ride that is unreliable. People mock Intamin for this and it is somewhat deserved. RotR is in a similar position. It's impressive and blends ride tech with physical sets and screens so well. However, if it continues having technical issues, so what?

Thinking about Uni's decision to go with Scoop instead of trackless for Ministry makes me realize that the Scoop is the B&M to trackless's Intamin.

Thinking about Uni's decision to go with Scoop instead of trackless for Ministry makes me realize that the Scoop is the B&M to trackless's Intamin.
It's funny because people get pissy when Universal uses the Scoop more than once, but I believe it to be one of the most versatile dark ride vehicles around

I would also add in Disney's slot car design (the Indy/Dinosaur) vehicle

The trackless is extremely limiting tbh

Ironically Kong is about the only trackless where I actually feel anything

It's funny because people get pissy when Universal uses the Scoop more than once, but I believe it to be one of the most versatile dark ride vehicles around

I definitely agree. The Scoop system is incredibly versatile and effective, and it feels more cutting edge and current than trackless many times. Is there a reason that Disney hasn't used the system in their parks? Is it patented by Universal?

My one counter to the Scoops being different is the way that the vehicle design is the exact same in every iteration, just with slightly different decals on it. Would love to see future scoop vehicles have some significant change in design to make it a smidge less recognizable.

I definitely agree. The Scoop system is incredibly versatile and effective, and it feels more cutting edge and current than trackless many times. Is there a reason that Disney hasn't used the system in their parks? Is it patented by Universal?
I think it's due to cost, they cost 1 million per vehicle.

I mean it’s basically the same vehicle as the Indiana Jones/Dinosaur ride system, just with higher edges and 360-spinning capability. And for whatever reason, Disney doesn’t really use that system all that much either.

I definitely don’t think it’s patented by Universal though, and if it is it’s not a strong patent…the Six Flags Justice League rides use something really similar.

I also think that Disney is hung up on the trackless vehicle type. They had some awesome applications, Pooh's Hunny Hunt and Mystic Manor, and wanted to expand on those. However, they missed the part where the ride vehicle should match the ride type. I would have thought that scoop vehicles would have worked better for MMRR but the trackless are okay.

I also think that Disney is hung up on the trackless vehicle type. They had some awesome applications, Pooh's Hunny Hunt and Mystic Manor, and wanted to expand on those. However, they missed the part where the ride vehicle should match the ride type. I would have thought that scoop vehicles would have worked better for MMRR but the trackless are okay.
I don't know if hung up on trackless vehicles is quite it, more that happenstance led them to building a lot at once. It was the correct choice for what they wanted to do with RotR, but has severe limitations as a thrilling ride vehicle. It was the correct choice for MMRR until they nerfed some of the utility of having a trackless vehicle in the design phase. Ratatouille was a "we have money to spend" off the shelf pick, and OLC would pay whatever for the BatB ride. Then you clone MMRR and you've got six in a small window of time.

I can't go on RotR without thinking of the Simpsons between the final Kylo scene and the escape pods: