SeaWorld Orlando's Future Plans | Page 109 | Inside Universal Forums

SeaWorld Orlando's Future Plans

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It’s staggering to me that SeaWorld is only building coasters instead of attempting any sort of variety. I get they have the highest ROI for the costs, but it limits your market.

Could they be focusing on coasters for now to build up their crowds before expanding into the flats or other ride types?

Reactions: OrlLover
Could they be focusing on coasters for now to build up their crowds before expanding into the flats or other ride types?
I think that’s part of it but ultimately they are really just trying to stay afloat sadly it seems. Doing something like a coaster is guaranteed ROI versus a dark ride or even simulator. Flat rides are always good and definitely should be planning to add some.

Reactions: anihilnation
If that’s their strategy, I disagree with it. Eventually, public perception reaches a saturation point where the public views you as ONLY a coaster park regardless of what you add that isn’t a coaster (see - Six Flags and the Justice League dark ride).

Reactions: Thatguyoverwhere
If that’s their strategy, I disagree with it. Eventually, public perception reaches a saturation point where the public views you as ONLY a coaster park regardless of what you add that isn’t a coaster (see - Six Flags and the Justice League dark ride).
I mean….better to be viewed as a coaster park than a PETA nightmare park…….lol

SeaWorld has only added Ice Breaker and hasn't even opened Pipeline yet

Between Mako and Ice Breaker we got a raft ride and highly themed Sesame Land

Plus, SW's lineup desperately needed more options, they only had three coasters (I don't count JTA) and they were big boy B&Ms

I believe the "strategy" is to de-emphasize the animals, and "Coaster Capital" or "Thrill Capital" marketing language is not a hard and fast "rule" but something easy for the general public (those that pay the bills) can understand about the new direction of the company.

To me it's really free range for what they want to do, all the while just waiting for the Orcas to die so they can expand there too

SeaWorld has only added Ice Breaker and hasn't even opened Pipeline yet

Between Mako and Ice Breaker we got a raft ride and highly themed Sesame Land

Plus, SW's lineup desperately needed more options, they only had three coasters (I don't count JTA) and they were big boy B&Ms

I believe the "strategy" is to de-emphasize the animals, and "Coaster Capital" or "Thrill Capital" marketing language is not a hard and fast "rule" but something easy for the general public (those that pay the bills) can understand about the new direction of the company.

To me it's really free range for what they want to do, all the while just waiting for the Orcas to die so they can expand there too
I believe they have to keep a balance if they want to be long term successful. Pivoting completely to coasters is not gonna last but adding other things eventually will help fill gaps and niches in their ride lineup.

I believe they have to keep a balance if they want to be long term successful. Pivoting completely to coasters is not gonna last but adding other things eventually will help fill gaps and niches in their ride lineup.
They'll definitely need to diversify there too

If you look at the other SWPs they are in fact diversifying a little bit (Catapult Falls, Serengeti Flyer) so it's definitely not that they're turned off to the idea

Personally, I think it's smart to build up their coaster line up pre-Epic. Which will open with four coasters, five if you count both sides of the celestial coaster

I also believe SW is in a good spot with its current aquarium and show offerings

Some friends that visited recently didn't do any coasters but really enjoyed the animal things, Sesame, as well as Infinity Falls

They'll definitely need to diversify there too

If you look at the other SWPs they are in fact diversifying a little bit (Catapult Falls, Serengeti Flyer) so it's definitely not that they're turned off to the idea

Personally, I think it's smart to build up their coaster line up pre-Epic. Which will open with four coasters, five if you count both sides of the celestial coaster

I also believe SW is in a good spot with its current aquarium and show offerings

Some friends that visited recently didn't do any coasters but really enjoyed the animal things, Sesame, as well as Infinity Falls
I think their other markets California and Texas are already pretty saturated with coaster parks. So it was smart for them capitalize on filling that niche in Central Florida.

But now with Epic adding so many in the next few years I think it might be time to start looking at adding other offerings.

They've built the park up so if one day suddenly keeping captive whales and dolphins is outlawed they have SOMETHING to fall back on. There's always a chance things could change and they need to have contingencies.

The whole removal of Shamu branding and the entry sign (etc) has gone a long way to change the park's look and make it less whale/dolphin specific.

They've built the park up so if one day suddenly keeping captive whales and dolphins is outlawed they have SOMETHING to fall back on. There's always a chance things could change and they need to have contingencies.

The whole removal of Shamu branding and the entry sign (etc) has gone a long way to change the park's look and make it less whale/dolphin specific.
This is very true..although I don't see it being fully outlawed

The further we get from Blackfish, the more people forget about it

Specifically when they keep emphasizing new coaster offerings

I think their other markets California and Texas are already pretty saturated with coaster parks. So it was smart for them capitalize on filling that niche in Central Florida.

But now with Epic adding so many in the next few years I think it might be time to start looking at adding other offerings.
That's very true as well

I think it's unwise for them to try and compete 1 to 1 with Disney and Universal...but there's many options that Universal and Disney wont touch that SW can go after

BGT can continue to capitalize on the crowd around them...Tampa/St.Pete/Clearwater aren't exactly tourism dead zones, quite the opposite

While a lot of people would want this to happen I don’t think that would be very good idea. Sea World actually does provide huge benefit to our marine life here in Florida as far as rehabilitation goes.

Also with the way we as a human species have impacted this earth it would be imperative to protect what we have left.

I think sea world specifically has benefited from people locked out of Disney reservations with outrageous one day prices for themselves in part due to the shows being kid friendly and sesame street. They need to build a family dark ride in sesame street and should be focused on a flying theater either in Antarctica or wild arctic. They need things that would lock down the family market looking to spend less with promos. Ice breaker was not a family ride and a disappointing coaster. The new coaster is going to be very unpopular due to being a stand up for the average guest. I Imagine sea world got an insane deal on this.

Hmm, I wonder if this means the rumors about a new Antarctica ride are true? Looking at satellite photos, if you leveled out the land in front of the stadium (unless there are facilities under there?) there's a reasonably large plot of land to expand out from the current Antarctica ride building.
I wonder what the chances are that they'd extend the ride building out that way to keep the new ride fully enclosed like DarKoaster... Maybe extend the seaside village facade down past Lakeside Grill and build a new entrance for the stadium and Pacific Point Preserve? I could also see the company cheaping out and just knocking down a wall for an outdoor coaster, but that would be lame and ruin all the immersion that the original ride had, plus it'd make this another weather-dependent outdoor ride.

Hmm, I wonder if this means the rumors about a new Antarctica ride are true? Looking at satellite photos, if you leveled out the land in front of the stadium (unless there are facilities under there?) there's a reasonably large plot of land to expand out from the current Antarctica ride building.
I wonder what the chances are that they'd extend the ride building out that way to keep the new ride fully enclosed like DarKoaster... Maybe extend the seaside village facade down past Lakeside Grill and build a new entrance for the stadium and Pacific Point Preserve? I could also see the company cheaping out and just knocking down a wall for an outdoor coaster, but that would be lame and ruin all the immersion that the original ride had, plus it'd make this another weather-dependent outdoor ride.
History and my heart tell me it will (if it's actually a coaster) take place mostly outdoors with the Antarctica building being queue/unload/load/exhibit

I would love to be surprised

Also, If Pacific Point goes it very much is quite a big plot of land

I suppose the sea lions could be moved

I think it might go over the pathway and over where SeaPort Market currently is close to Manta. That pathway has remained closed since Howl O Scream. They still haven't removed the house lol

Reactions: shiekra38